Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy, short read on progression statistics

http://www.scoliscore.com/scoliscore...Standards.aspx

Out of approximately 4,000,000 children in the US in the indicated age group,17 each year 100,000 present to physicians with a mild AIS curve ≥10°. Approximately 1,000 – 4,000 will eventually experience curve progression necessitating an instrumented fusion procedure.1-3 This means that approximately 96,000-99,000 of these newly diagnosed patients will not progress to a curve requiring instrumented fusion (Figure 3). As a result of this inability to predict which patients will require surgical intervention and which patients will not, a large majority of patients undergo medical and radiographic monitoring that may not be required.
    As in that one news video, surgeons seem convinced about Scoliscore in certain value ranges... Lonner immediately took that one girl out of brace on the basis of having a Scoliscore <41.

I hope they follow these kids to see what happens in the out years. I think they have to start tracking ancillary issues and not just progression past the surgical trigger. If these kids go on to needing fusion for associated issues then they may have to re-consider conservative and perhaps even earlier fusion perhaps.

But before that, they first have to demonstrate that they can actually determine the natural history of patients with a Scoliscore of <41. Then they are looking at a research window of ~25* to ~40*, a mere 15*. If the comments from the surgeons and researchers about the problems with measurement are correct, I think this might be something that is too hard to study at the present time due to artifacts, and possibly confounders.

By the way, if the <41 statistic stands, I think that puts limit on epigenetics as a factor in certain ways despite that there is some reason to suspect epigenetics can modify cases (i.e., identical twins studies with different curves, etc.). I'd like to know if there were identical twin cases in the Scoliscore calibration set. That would be wildly interesting in my opinion in terms of exploring the limits of epigenetics in AIS.

That's my lay opinion. Any others out there?
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."
Working...
X