Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schroth trained physical therapists in Seattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schroth trained physical therapists in Seattle?

Hello all. I am researching the Schroth method, and am liking what I've read so far. I'm not having much luck with google searching. Can anyone recommend a good Schroth trained physical therapist in the Puget Sound area (Seattle proper highly preferrred).

Thanks so much,

Ryan

I also did the same kind of search for this area, but didn't find anyone (yet). I've decided to try to work with my current PT to research it further and see if they can/will help me with it. To-date, I have had some help from traditional PT, but it's never specific to my issue and so I too am very interested in this method. I'm at the beginning of researching it. I will be seeing my PT on Monday to discuss it further. I am interested if you find anyone.

Thanks.

Comment

There are no Schroth-trained PTs in Seattle, which surprises me because this city seems so progressive in terms of alternative medicine. I have a daughter diagnosed with scoliosis in January and am looking into taking her to the Schroth Clinic in Germany. I have done many web searches and have contacted several Schroth PT's here in the U.S.. Scoliosis Rehab, Inc. in Steven's Point, Wisconsin, has received excellent reviews.

Comment

Hi!

My son was diagnosed with asymmetry (9 degrees left lumbar) in Feb 2008 (age 14). I began reading up on scoliosis and he did PT for posture training for several weeks. In Dec 2008 his x-ray showed progression to 16 degrees (Risser sign 2-3). I came to the conclusion that I wanted him to try Schroth Therapy.

We are taking him to a Schroth trained therapist for a 2 day session to get him started at the end of this week. We are also taking him to the Katherina Schroth Klinik in Germany in July for intensive inpatient therapy. We may see you there!

Nothing is clear cut when it comes to this disease, so I guess we all find what we are comfortable with.

M

Ps. I have never been part of an internet form....I prefer reading to writing.
        I'm not great with the internet.

Comment

I should have followed up years ago.

I had taken my son to Children's Hospital in Philadelphia in Feb 2008 to hear what they would recommend. They basically told me that there was nothing I could do to change the outcome of what would happen to my son. It did not matter what he did or didn't do the outcome would be the same, either he would stabilize and be ok or progress and get worse and at some point need a brace and possibly rods placed in his back, worst case.

I had a lot of sleepless nights after that. I searched the internet like a lunatic to better understand scoliosis cause and treatment. Months went by. I eventually realized that my son had had a normal bone structure in his spine and that for some unknown reason the bones began to deform. I began thinking of the old saying, "a stitch in time saves nine". I really believed that there should be some way to reverse the process. I thought that physical therapy might be able to help him. There was no regimen for this, but I found a physical therapist who went through posture/back strengthening exercises with him over the summer of 2008. Then the bad news in December 2008, he had progressed 7 degrees in less than a year. If you have scoliosis, I learned later, certain exercises can actually make the problem worse, so be careful.

Eventually, I was on a German thread and I found Katharina Schroth's book and the Asklepios Klinik in Bad Sobernheim, Germany. I purchased the book and read it. I found her story quite compelling. I had read an awful lot of material by this time on braces and you name it...but nothing that gave me much hope. There was another clinic in Spain at that time that was run by a man that had trained at Asklepios, I don't remember the name. I found the clinic in Wisconsin and that looked promising. Finally, I found an Austrian lady who had trained at Asklepios and had a practice in Northampton, MA. We made an appointment for a 2 day intensive training session over one weekend. My husband and I watched as she directed my son who was laying on his stomach to move a specific single vertebra in his lower spine....he moved it as directed! This blew my mind! I was convinced that we were on the right path. I had already made the arrangements with Asklepios, but the trip to MA was just so reassuring, and the lady who helped my son could not have been more kind or more excited that we were going to Asklepios. I wish I could remember her name.

By the summer of 2009 we were headed to Asklepios for 5 or 6 weeks of intensive training 5 days a week. The klinik was like the UN, there were people from all over Europe, Russia, Asia and of course we represented the USA. When they looked at my sons x-rays, and examined him they were more alarmed with a thoracic deformity than the original lumbar problem. He began the treatment. He was the only child there that was not in a brace. There were adults without braces who came to get relief from their pain. I made a film of my son so that he could refer to it to keep his form correct as he did his exercises at home, I also took pictures. He practiced daily for a year. Then we returned to Asklepios in the summer of 2010 for another 4 or 5 weeks and continued the therapy religiously at home thru at least age 18. The ridge hump in his back is gone and the "island formation" in his thorax is also gone. I do not believe that he could have ever achieved this outcome without Asklepios and diligently doing his exercises at home. I also firmly believe in early detection and early intervention for the best possible outcome with the least time, effort, pain and avoidance of braces and surgery.

I think the real shame is with the medical community in the USA who, if you read Martha Hawes book, has really just gotten the whole thing wrong. Just think about tonsillectomies in the 1960's or extracting all your perfect teeth in order to cure rheumatism (my great grand mother...left with all the pain and no teeth) and lobotomies to name a few. Scoliosis, just wait and see what happens no early intervention can possibly help! I will take the other side of that bet all day long. No regrets here.

Best of luck to all who struggle down this path. I know that it is not easy.

M
          Last edited by njmom; 05-29-2023, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Well that sounds very good. Do you have before and after x-rays to show the improvement? Schroth has struggled to show evidence that the method works.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
            X