15 days to go....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 days to go....

I havnt posted in a while...But Dairrien and I are becoming more anxious..There is just 15 days till his surgery..It has come so stinkin quickly...I can't believe how the time has flown by..For those who have had their surgery or who is a parent..What did you find helpful to pass the time,or what have you wished you had brought with you...As time appraoches,we are not only thinking about Christmas,but Dairriens surgery..So I am pretty tired in trying to prepare for everything..The hospital is about a 3 hour drive..What should I bring for Dairrien for the ride home? Any suugestions would be great..Thank you..

You are coming into the home stretch. This is a hard time.

We just tried to keep our normal schedule. Both girls went to school as usual. We didn't prepare as such other than not eating after midnight the night before and washing her back the morning of surgery.

Try to enjoy the holiday. There is no reason not too. Really. I suspect it will be a great distraction from worrying about the surgery.

I would bring a few pillows for the ride home. If you bring only one it may be the wrong size or firmness.

Good luck.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Our situation was similar to yours, though Jamie's surgery was a few weeks before surgery--December 7th. We kept busy by being totally prepared for Christmas. That was less thing to worry about while in the hospital and when she was discharged, I was able to concentrate on her and her recovery and nothing else. We had a small sleep-over before Jamie's surgery since she knew she wouldn't be going to any sleep-overs over her Christmas break.

I would also suggest lots of pillows for the ride home. Plan on frequent breaks to help Dairrien change position or walk around so he doesn't get stiff. Make sure he takes pain meds before you leave the hospital.

I would suggest taking the following to the hospital for yourself (Dairrien will use some of them as well): bottled water-hospitals are so dry and you need to stay hydrated; snacks, such as dried fruit, granola bars, etc.-our hospital had snacks and cereal, coffee, etc. available for parents, but sometimes Jamie didn't want me to leave; a notebook-write down every medication given, what it is for and the time given-it will be very important to keep him on scheduled once he is on oral meds. Sleep when he sleeps-both at the hospital and the first week or so at home.

Hope this helps. You will get through this.

Mary Lou
      Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

all very good advice you have gotten. One thing I did to keep myself busy was prepare meals ahead for the freezer. The notebook is a really good idea. Mine actually turned into a hospital stay diary especially the day of surgery, it gave me a private place to express myself. Also Patrick was happy I wrote things down. He said some of the funniest things (while on strong meds) which he doesnt remember so it has become a nice keepsake for him.
        Good luck, You'll be on the other side before you know it

Ramona
        mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
        diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
        also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
        fused T4 to L1

Comment

That is all great advice,thank you...we are trying to just rest up and enjoy the holidays...I am still trying to keep Dairrien well with loading him up with Vitiman C ,as our Shriners will not do the surgery if he gets sick,we will have to wait another 12 weeks before they would do it...Blaw...But so far so good,he got the flu shot and the H1N1 shot,so he is protected in those aspects...
          We are definatley going to make a list on things we will need and go get them.. what I hate,is that everyone is out christmas shopping and we cant get anything done,the isles are packed out..lol..But it comes with the territory.....I am completely scared about the surgery..While Dairrien I think is more calm and collected..what a kid I think waiting is the worst ever !! It is driving me batty...But whats nice is Christmas is right around the corner (Next week) WOW! so we have that to look forward too,all 3 of my boys are very excited..Thank you all for all the great advice...I am going to definatley do the Diary...

Comment

Great ideas. I had not thought of several of those but do have my notebook to write EVERYTHING down in.
            We are at 29 days before surgery. Mandy is getting fitted for contact lens on Thur . She has been begging and it will keep her occupied very well I think. Now to keep Momma from losing her mind I am trying to focus on work but not having much luck.
            Thanks so much!
            Gina
            "With God All Things Are Possible"
            Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
            to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Originally posted by ArabianFancy View Post
              Mandy is getting fitted for contact lens on Thur . She has been begging and it will keep her occupied very well I think.
              Gina
              Getting contacts is very exciting for a young lady! I would suggest that your daughter take her glasses with her to the hospital. My daughter never wore her glasses once she got contacts, but she wore them in the hospital without complaining. Glasses are just so much easier.

Mary Lou
              Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

5 days to go!!!!

Well we are down to 5 days...this is coming up so stinking quick...we got into the Ronald Mcdonald house...YAY!! SO that is a true blessing..We got our final confirmation call from Shriners today..so we are good to go...
                Boy this is nerve racking..I am busy packing and getting things ready for next week..anyways thought I would give an update...

Comment

Five days! These next few days will go even faster than the last few weeks. Finish your packing today, enjoy Christmas and take some time to yourself over the weekend to rest and relax.

How's Dairrien doing? No matter how well he is doing right now, be prepared for a possible change in emotions and/or behavior over the next few days especially when you get down to 1 or 2 days. As hard as it is, try to remain calm and confident around Dairrien. Kids feed off of us so if we appear calm and collected, they tend not to worry as much.

Merry Christmas!

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Dairren's mom
                    what hospital are you going to for surgery for your son? how long a ride will it be coming home?

i wish you the best...smooth sailing to the healing part...it seems kids heal easier & fastest, so that is something good to look forward to!

best of luck
                    jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      Hi Dairren's mom
                      what hospital are you going to for surgery for your son? how long a ride will it be coming home?

i wish you the best...smooth sailing to the healing part...it seems kids heal easier & fastest, so that is something good to look forward to!

best of luck
                      jess
                      we will be at shriners in Sacramento...the drive is about 2 1/2 hours one way..

thank you for the well wishes....

-Misty

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                        Five days! These next few days will go even faster than the last few weeks. Finish your packing today, enjoy Christmas and take some time to yourself over the weekend to rest and relax.

How's Dairrien doing? No matter how well he is doing right now, be prepared for a possible change in emotions and/or behavior over the next few days especially when you get down to 1 or 2 days. As hard as it is, try to remain calm and confident around Dairrien. Kids feed off of us so if we appear calm and collected, they tend not to worry as much.

Merry Christmas!

Mary Lou

Hi Mary Lou....I know this week has flown by...got most of the packing done,Need to do laundry to do the rest this weekend
                        I am trying to stay calm and collected even though I am scared poopless !!!I worry about complications...I worry about his recovery...I have faith..I pray all will go well...and I thank god for this group...as I would have no where else to vent my fears ,or thoughts too...

Comment

Misty, I am praying for you. 3 weeks from today for us...... I just want to get it done!!! I am more anxious than she is!
                          Gina
                          "With God All Things Are Possible"
                          Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
                          to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Moved thread to Parents forum
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Interesting...

Dairrien is a tall boy,roughly 5'8 at 13 yrs old..He was towering over me just last month..Now we are seeing eye to eye..

I am wondering if his curve has increased...I guess we will find out Tuesday? when we check into Shriners...That was a little concerning to me when I was cooking dinner and he came up to me and instead of looking up,I was eye level....

Comment

Working...
                              X