After casting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After casting questions

A few questions that I hope people can help me with. My son just started his serial casting yesterday. This has been very sad for me. My questions that I do have are 1. How long until he gets used to this thing? He can't even sit up in it. He is very frustrated, which in turn makes me frustrated and heartbroken. I know that each child is different, but was curious of your experience with it. 2. Why is this cast so heavy? He can't even keep his balance without falling over. It sucks! I guess I have other questions, but can't really think right now. Any experiences that any of you have and would like to share, please please do so. Thanks so much. I am looking forward to the responses.

Angie

Hi Angie,

I grew up wearing casts from the age of 6 months. You do get used to them; please don't worry, your son will adapt. Children are very resilient and able to work with whatever circumstances they are faced with. However, right now the cast is new and strange to him, and he's feeling frustrated at this new challenge. But he'll get there, I promise

By the way, I wore casts up until the age of ten (alternating with a Milwaukee brace when I was a bit older) - this was back in the 70s and 80s before growth rods were available, so they had to hold my curves as long as possible to give me time to grow before I had a spinal fusion. I eventually had the fusion when I was ten. My casts weren't designed to correct the curve as your son's serial casts are; they were simply to try to prevent progression.

I can say that I was able to do pretty much anything I wanted in the casts, and that I even learned to walk in them - I hope that's some comfort to you.

The cast is so heavy because it's probably made of plaster of paris (it might have a fibreglass top layer) - fibreglass itself isn't rigid enough to hold the spine.

Hope this helps! Good luck *hugs*

Toni in the UK xx

Comment

Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Program

Hi Angie,

I came across the following website just recently, maybe it would be helpful to you if you haven't seen it already: www.infantilescoliosis.org

It talks about the Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Program (ISOP) and has a lot of info about casting, as well as links to other families whose child is undergoing casting.

Good luck! I can only imagine how hard this time is for you.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi Angie,

I agree with Gayle. I am very familiar with that website and I think it's fantastic. You will find great info, support, etc.

Best of luck to you!!
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
        X