No announcement yet.

does anyone have hereditary scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does anyone have hereditary scoliosis?

Is there anyone out there who has scoliosis, then has had a child who has been diagnosed with it as well? I believe it to be hereditary in my family - there have been slight cases of it on both sides - but I seem to have gotten the brunt of it - with a double curve. I'd like to have a baby in the next couple of years, and I'm wondering what the chances are of my child having it.

Thank you,

Hannah

Hannah, try using the search button. There was some discussion on here last year about that.
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Hannah,

I'm 15 and had surgery for my scoliosis 2 years ago. We did not know that my mom had scolisis until i was diagnosed. I also have a younger brother and sister, but thankfully they don't have it; however, my brother is only six so their is still a possibility that he may develop it, but we will hope for the best.
      Good luck with your decision
      --Alicia
      ---Alicia---

Scolioisis surgery: 6/26/03
      We're coming back bigger and better than ever!
      <3 *NOLA* <3
      Sincere Thanks to all who donated to the hurricane relief funds!

Comment

family history of scoliosis

hi hannah,
        I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 13 in 1974. Had surgery in 1976. My sister ( 2 years younger) was diagnosed in approx. 1979. She had her 1st surgery in 1984, but due to complications had to have another surgery approx. 2 yrs, later. We each have two children. I have two girls (19 & 10) and my sister has two boys (11 & 8). Yesterday my 10 year old was confirmed to have signs of scoliosis. Just made an appointment with the pediatric orthopedic group today. This, of course, was my worst fear. None of the other children have signs of scoliosis so far. My mother said that her grandmother spoke of an aunt who had a hump, but of course back then they didn't know about scoliosis. So, I would say that there is probably a genetic link in our case. Not a great story, but hope that this helped.

Comment

Hannah, I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 and had the surgery at 26 years old. I come from a vary large family and not one other family member has it. My two sisters are fine, but my daughter was diagnosed at 11 but SHE IS FINE. She is almost 19 and has a very mild curve (under 20 degrees), was not braced just checked every six months and now it is once a year. I guess it's the luck of the draw. That was my worst fear and especially being a girl. I will admit I was extremely upset but was ready to do everything necessary for her. Thankfully so far she's doing well. Just keep the faith!..... LYNN
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

reply to Hannah

I also have a large family, apart from me, none with scoliosis!...I have an older brother with absolutely NO sign of it, and my mother and grandmother both have extremely mild cases of it with hardly any back problems other than that of usual older women...
            I am just an odd ball in the family and I have somehow developed a severe curvature over the years....I would have to say not much of mine was "nurture" and more of it was "nature"....that is to say I believe that one's environment, activities & lifstyle during crtical adolescence has more to do with the development of scoliosis than anything! (in my case and my personal opinion)...
            and just to agree with your worries, I too hope to have healthy scoliosis-free children one day!! Let's pray that it isn't easily carried down!

Comment

Hannah

Scoliosis can be hereditary, but there is no way to determine what generation it will hit nor can they say that you are born with a gene. I was diagnosed at 16 had surgery and at age 38 had a revision, I also have an upcoming surgery on August 17, 2005. I have 2 children a girl named Hannah also who is 18 and was diagnosed with it last year. Hers is still in the watch stage not bad enough for surgery, but she is having some pain. My son who is 13 Zachary complains all the time that his back hurts but he has no curve. I guess it could be something that is waiting to happen.

Don't be afraid to have children. I am 40 years old and if I would have decided not to have children just because of my back issues, I would have regreted it.

Good Luck

Dawn

Comment

Scoliosis definitely runs in my family. My mother, 1 brother, maternal aunt have mild scoli. I was braced as adolescent, should have had surgery-didn't (regrets). One of hubby's brothers also has mild scoli. My son seems to be hit the hardest out of all. I wouldn't decline to have children because of scoli. My kids are the greatest joys of my life, couldn't imagine life without them.

FlowerPower

Comment

hannah

hi!
                  i have, my sis, my mom & her dad. yet no dr. has said it is a family thing. (i think it is)
                  i am 33 & have 3 kids- boy14, girl13,boy11. i too have it worse than anyone else. yet none of my children have had or have any symptoms... (that is watched close). although i had hard pregnancies and had to have a hystroectomy my children were all term, healthy and all 8.0lbs. IMO it was worth every pain!! hope this helps!
                  "I don't want to be around anyone MAD,' Alice said.
                  <[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]"But OH!," grinned the cat, "you see for we ARE ALL MAD here!!!" [HTML]>

Comment

Well I can say I back it up. For sure I have it, duh! but none of my three brothers do. My mother has it plus her two sisters (my aunts). But none of there children have it (only one to young to diagnose- girl; 9). Now my grandmother i'm not sure because she left when my mother was really young, but my great-grandmother did have it all the way up to her death last fall. My mother heritage is based strongly in the Appalachain Mtns and its known that several had scoliosis. well anyway, i lil family line of scolisosis.

Comment

question for flowerpower

Flowerpower, I noticed in one of your posts on this thread that you said you regretted not having surgery for your scoliosis. Do you mind telling why -- are you in pain or do you have other symptoms?
                      Thanks -- just curious since I'm on the brink of scheduling mine and fighting doubts --
                      Chris
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hereditary Scoliosis

Hi Hannah,
                        I too have hereditary Scoliosis, My Nan had it, my dad had it, my sister got it and so did I. I have had two boys though and they have NOT got it and neither have my sister's girls. It seems to be more prevalant in girls than boys for some reason, but can skip generations altogether. Take your chances and have you're baby when you're ready, you can only deal with things as they happen, we both have problems but we are glad we're here arent we?
                        Kind regards
                        Sharon Batty.

Originally posted by Hannah
                        Is there anyone out there who has scoliosis, then has had a child who has been diagnosed with it as well? I believe it to be hereditary in my family - there have been slight cases of it on both sides - but I seem to have gotten the brunt of it - with a double curve. I'd like to have a baby in the next couple of years, and I'm wondering what the chances are of my child having it.

Thank you,

Hannah

Comment

Familial scoliosis

Chances are highly likely, IMHO. My case is probably hereditary due to my mother's spinal deformities, and the fact that my sister has scoliosis too (although a milder curve). It might have affected my decision to have children had I know that I have it too at the time. My daughter is still very young, but I'm watching her like a hawk.
                          28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

No known scoliosis in my parents or my 3 siblings. No known scoliosis in any of my grandparents, aunts or uncles.

Kindest regards,
                            Gail

Comment

I belive Scoliosis is hereditary

Hannah,
                              I have scoliosis, my mother has it, my grandmother has it, my two sisters have it, only theirs is not a bad as mine. I belive that it is heriditary and I also belive that the first born child gets the worst case out of all the children. At least thats how it has worked in my family for generations now. My mom and I are first borns and we both have a more severe case of scoliosis than any of our siblings.

Hope this info helps you!! Bye

Comment

Working...
                              X