Questions about a loose screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about a loose screw

At my 6-month checkup my doctor mentioned that I had a loose screw (no, not a "screw loose", but a lumbar pedical screw that was loose ). He said it was on my lower left side and that it was not unusual for a screw to fail down low if the bone is not strong enough for it. He had noticed it at my 2 month checkup and said it had not changed in the xrays. I have had no pain or problems associated with it. I was surprised but not worried because I have no problems.

I have started wondering what the future may hold. I have read on this forum about people who have lots of issues with loose screws, usually requiring revision surgery. Has anyone had a loose screw that DID NOT eventually cause a problem?

Sheri
    At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
    Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
    Excellent correction

Hi Sheri...

I think loose screws often mean that there's an area of non fusion. If that's the case, and you need more surgery, it would actually be a fairly easy surgery, especially in comparison to your first surgery. Since you don't have any pain in that area, however, it could mean absolutely nothing. Hope that's the case.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Sheri, at my 5 month post-op appt, my xray showed that one on my screws at L5/S1 was probably loose. Dr H said he was not concerned at all because there appeared to be good bone growth (something to that effect) at anterior L4/5-L5/S1 and that this wouldn't affect the outcome. I have had no issues in regards to this (although an incident this week had me worried - chances of damaging hardware thread)and i hope that this remains the case. I looke at it this way, if it doesn't bother my surgeon, i won't let it bother me!
      Vali
      44 years young! now 45
      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
      Post -op - 5 degrees
      T11 - S1 Posterior
      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Working...
      X