6 Year Anniversary of Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 Year Anniversary of Surgery

If it hadn't been for a "memory" post on Facebook that popped up this morning, I might have forgotten that this was the anniversary of a life changing date for me. ( It has been so long since I started a thread that it took me a few minutes to figure out how to do it. )

Today was the 6 year anniversary of my T4-sacrum surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis. I still have vivid memories of worrying about the outcome of the surgery many months before the surgery and also the horrible fear the day of the surgery. The recovery definitely took a lot of patience, but I can honestly say that I have never regretted having surgery. My back is straight and I am no longer self conscience about a rib hump which is not nonexistent. Thank you, Dr. Lenke! I never dreamed that I would be able to play golf again, go to exercise classes at the Y, tap dance, bike ride, etc., but I do it all! Before, during, and after my surgery, I posted questions constantly on the forum and was so appreciative of all of those who had had surgery before or at the same time and took the time to reply. Often, there is no one else that we know in our hometowns who has had scoliosis surgery. People just don't understand the magnitude of the surgery unless they have had it as well. I know that most of the regulars from 6 years ago no longer post unless they have problems. I have to believe that most people have successful surgeries and move on with their busy lives and seldom revisit the forum. Best of luck to all of you contemplating surgery. It was a tough decision, but definitely was the right one for me.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Hi Karen,

I'm pretty new to this forum but I do greatly appreciate the stories and comments I've gotten to read from fellow scoliosis folks such as yourself.

You are so right, I live in an area where there is no real understanding or much support for my spine so this site has been a blessing.

I'm so happy to hear you are continuing to have success with your surgery results. Your attitude has to play a huge role in that as well and your interest in activities.

I don't know my future yet with treatment but I do know how important it is to keep pushing forward and never losing hope.

Thank you,
    Melisse
    Melisse
    Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
    Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

Comment

Karen

Congratulations on 6 years. (smiley face)

We have done well. And I’m glad your posting.....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Karen - congratulations! You were my inspiration when I was getting ready for the surgery. You were always so supportive of other people! I am approaching my 4th year anniversary too and doing great. I check the forum frequently, but don't post much now days because by the end of the day I am tired from work, commute etc. I am one of these lucky people who have good outcomes and just moved on with their busy lives. Take care and thank you for posting!
        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Melissa,
          Best of luck with your future treatment for your spine.
          Ed,
          It's always good to hear from you. You are such a support to all of us. We appreciate the humor you throw in as well.

Irina,
          I remember corresponding with you on the forum several years ago. I am glad to read that you are doing well!
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congrats karen
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

Working...
            X