Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about upcomming surgery how do I prepare??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about upcomming surgery how do I prepare??

I am scheduled for surgery
    August 17th. 53 yrs. old and this is a scoliosis revision. Living in lots of pain/ on meds, and need to get through the next 8 plus weeks and not chicken out of surgery. Sceduled with Boachie at HSS in Manhattan. I will need 3 Osteotomies, 13 Fusions, and removal of old hardware, Laminectomies, new hardware and cages put in, have severe stenosis, etc. This has me terrified. My first scoliosis surgery was over 35 years ago and this is so much different. scared!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are near or over 50 and have gone through this please give me a few tips as to perpare for it...how to get through it both before and after, and what exactly to expect
    thank you
    Best regards
    Cindi

Hi Cindi...

I have a list of things that will help during your hospital stay and recovery. You can find it here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Everyone's experience is so different, that it's really impossible for anyone to tell you, with any accuracy, what to expect. There are a lot of Dr. Boachie's patients here, so maybe they can give you some idea of their experience.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi Cindi
      welcome to the forum!

you will be in the hands of one of THE top scoli surgeons in the world...
      i hope that helps to reassure you!
      best of luck..
      you will do great!

jess

Comment

Thank you for your support. Im super scared. Im asking my friends and family to make sure I dont chicken out!! Ive been dodging this for over 10 years!
        Hoping to get alot of feedback. What makes Boachie the best?
        thanks
        Cindi

Comment

Cindi,
          You have one of the best surgeons in the country according to many on this forum, so that's definitely a huge plus. I tried to get in the best physical condition that I could prior to surgery. I have been fortunate to have had a smooth recovery so far. My fears prior to surgery were much worse than the actual surgery or recovery period. Best of luck!
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

How long ago did you have the surgery? I am so happy to hear what you had to say, that you are doing well, and that the "before" fears are much worse than the actual surgery. That will help me.
            I have 9 long weeks to obsess over this, and I am trying to do some things right. Im taking a little less pain medicine, and Ive lost some weight. I cant work out since I am not walking very well, and in a lot of pain.
            How was the "after" pain in the hospital?
            Do I want to hear this?
            Thanks for your feedback!

Comment

Hi Cindi...

I just had surgery in January, and I can honestly say that pain I had in the hospital was very manageable. I think the key is finding a good team that knows how to manage the short-term recovery, and I think you've done that.

Hang in there. It will be over before you know it.

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Cindi,
                My surgery was 5 months ago. I had 13 months to worry prior to the surgery and to contemplate whether I was doing the right thing or not since I was not in pain. To be perfectly honest, I was very fearful of the surgery pain and post pain. I had never had any type of surgery before this. My pain was well managed in the hospital. I didn't hesitate to use the morphine pump if I needed it. The only pain I remember from the first month post op was abdominal pain from bowel issues. Recovery has been so much better than I expected. I know it's not the same for everyone and I feel very fortunate. At about 5 weeks, my husband started taking me out to lunch or dinner. A day hasn't gone by since then that I haven't heard a compliment or two about my "new look". I'm taller, straighter, and slimmer. Sunday evening an old boyfriend told me I looked "fantastic" and "10 years younger".
                I know you said that you are in too much pain to work out. Is there a pool that you could use to build up some strength? Just a thought . . .
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

well, to know why Boachie is one of the best, if not THE best, you would need to speak to one of his patients...or write to some of his patients on this forum...

until you do that....you can know that he has been profiled on TV new shows and in magazines...i think People magazine did a piece on him about 4 years ago...
                  his training, his experience, his world wide surgeries...many charitable, for poor children in Africa... have gained him a reputation for being tops in the field....
                  i think if you Google his name, you will find some of the info that is out there in the media, and could read about his many incredible successes & contributions to scoliosis and to surgery

jess

Comment

Everyone is right-- we all do this differently. And I'm not sure what you mean by "prepare"-- mental, physical, house-wise, etc. So I'm going to shoot for this one. I was 56 when I had my surgery and it left me soooo weak. I know my surgeon said to exercise, in any way that would work your heart, prior to surgery, so I rode a stationary bike diligently for a couple of months. On another note, though, the main strength you're going to need right after surgery will be in your arms and legs. You'll be using them to pull yourself up or to push yourself up. I just had lost all my strength! There are some exercises you can do to strengthen those without doing anything very strenuous if you are in too much pain right now... like using those little hand-held weights (forward, side, etc.) and ankle weights. You can lift your legs alternately while you're sitting or lying on your bed. You can also stand by the kitchen counter and and use it for leverage and go up (on your toes) and down (partial squat) a little and build up a little strength in your legs that way. You can do wall push-ups. Or you can stand with your back to the wall and slowly slide down a little to do a partial squat. If at all possible, do some sort of heart-thumping exercise. My doctor said it was better to get your heart in shape for the surgery than to lose weight or anything else like that.

Best wishes as you get ready for your surgery. We all get anxious to some extent. And then the time comes and we are through the gate and on the other side, climbing the path of recovery. Some seem to sprint, others take it very slowly. Again, we are all different. I was a turtle... But I'm doing great now. Yay!
                    Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM.
                    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Cindi, I had revision May 9, and going back June 21 for #2, (going in front this time,) I am 68, and my first surgery I was 59, and I like you was scared,I am fuesed down to sacrum,sounds much like what you are having done. But when it gets closer you will be ready,(I was) you can only suffer so long, It is 5 weeks and I did very good, It's not easy, but each day you will feel a little better. good luck Lu

Comment

Thank you for your reply!

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                        Cindi,
                        You have one of the best surgeons in the country according to many on this forum, so that's definitely a huge plus. I tried to get in the best physical condition that I could prior to surgery. I have been fortunate to have had a smooth recovery so far. My fears prior to surgery were much worse than the actual surgery or recovery period. Best of luck!

Comment

Dear Lu
                          Why do you have to go back June 21 for #2? Did they "split" your surgery into two parts? I was just told last Thursday by Boachie that they do not do anterior approach. Going into the back, then small incision gluteal (butt) area. I am curious if I should get other opinions. you sound great, and are an inspiration to me...
                          thanks
                          Cindi

Originally posted by Lue View Post
                          Hi Cindi, I had revision May 9, and going back June 21 for #2, (going in front this time,) I am 68, and my first surgery I was 59, and I like you was scared,I am fuesed down to sacrum,sounds much like what you are having done. But when it gets closer you will be ready,(I was) you can only suffer so long, It is 5 weeks and I did very good, It's not easy, but each day you will feel a little better. good luck Lu

Comment

Susie
                            Thank you for your words. I am going to ask about arm or leg weights. It all sounds right, and makes sense. I cant beleive how many procedures you had, and that I need, but I suppose its nothing much to the drs. It sounds "major" to me. I have to stop thinking about this surgery and just go for it. Very scared of the whole thing!
                            thanks again
                            Cindi

Originally posted by Susie*Bee View Post
                            Everyone is right-- we all do this differently. And I'm not sure what you mean by "prepare"-- mental, physical, house-wise, etc. So I'm going to shoot for this one. I was 56 when I had my surgery and it left me soooo weak. I know my surgeon said to exercise, in any way that would work your heart, prior to surgery, so I rode a stationary bike diligently for a couple of months. On another note, though, the main strength you're going to need right after surgery will be in your arms and legs. You'll be using them to pull yourself up or to push yourself up. I just had lost all my strength! There are some exercises you can do to strengthen those without doing anything very strenuous if you are in too much pain right now... like using those little hand-held weights (forward, side, etc.) and ankle weights. You can lift your legs alternately while you're sitting or lying on your bed. You can also stand by the kitchen counter and and use it for leverage and go up (on your toes) and down (partial squat) a little and build up a little strength in your legs that way. You can do wall push-ups. Or you can stand with your back to the wall and slowly slide down a little to do a partial squat. If at all possible, do some sort of heart-thumping exercise. My doctor said it was better to get your heart in shape for the surgery than to lose weight or anything else like that.

Best wishes as you get ready for your surgery. We all get anxious to some extent. And then the time comes and we are through the gate and on the other side, climbing the path of recovery. Some seem to sprint, others take it very slowly. Again, we are all different. I was a turtle... But I'm doing great now. Yay!

Comment

Hi Cindi, Saw Dr. wed. and doing surgery Tues. 21. He has to stbiblize, the disc at the sacrum, it is a hard disc to fuse, so he is going in the front to fuse it on the inside, and when I saw the X-rays, I could see what he means. They go in front many times, many people on this site have had that done. Lu

Comment

Working...
                              X