Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the scoliosis surgery feel like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the scoliosis surgery feel like?

I apologize if I'm not putting this into the right category. Anyway, I'm a 50 year old female and am scheduled to have scoliosis surgery T1-sacrum March 2017. I can hardly breathe so full of anxiety. What can I expect when I wake up? I'm having 2 separate surgeries. What does it feel like first day? Does it feel like a bus hit ur body? I'm so frightened. I've had other surgeries, broken ankle , c-section, tonsillectomy, but what am I looking at after major scoliosis surgery? Any input, advice is much appreciated. Thank you

At first you will hardly be awake or aware of what is happening. My SPINE team put a morphine block in the spinal cord. So i wasn't aware of too much pain. You are just worn out and feeling bruised all over. You do feel like you have been run over. You need a good medical team and a good support team.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Omg u broke a vertebra a week after surgery? How does that even happen? I do have an excellent spine team. UCSF medical center. Dr Ames. He did a surgery on a woman in 2005 on a showed called Three Wishes where a woman's scoliosis was so severe, she was wheelchair bound He made her walk again. That's what I'm looking forward to if I don't have the surgery. I haven't left my home all year except for dr appts & scans. I am truly TERRIFIED of the procedure as well as the recovery time I'm also afraid of what it will feel like coming off of all the opioids. Withdrawals. I'm not sure how to ease my anxiety. Since I've scheduled the surgery which is actually May 2017 on my 51st bday, they are trying to move me up to March Any suggestions on how to prepare myself mentally? I'm getting a scan today because my neck is much worse so I may be looking at entire fusion. I cry just talking about it. My parents refused surgery for me when I was 12. Of course the brace did nothing. I've already lost another inch of height this year.

Comment

I understand some of the fears that go along with scoliosis and treatments. I haven't had surgery for my spine so my fears are different at the time being but there still fears! I bet not one person on here hasn't dealt with fear and anxiety about it and shed many tears.

This site seems like a great place when dealing with scoliosis. Lots of people have been through it and have very real personal stories. I'm thankful for the support and others who have gone before me, that in itself gives me some hope. Hope is the most crucial aspect to me.

Good Luck with everything. it's a huge decision and one that you ultimately make with of course the information and education you learn from the Dr's and experts.
        Melisse
        Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
        Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

Comment

Kstrong,
          My surgery was 6 years ago when I was 60. Your post sounds exactly like the way I felt before my surgery. I was looking forward to having a straight back with no rib hump, BUT I was scared to death of the pain I might experience, the unknown about the success or not of the surgery, and what the recovery would be like. I worried about it constantly. What did help was to get in as good of shape physically that I possibly could. Exercising has always helped me mentally as well. The pain was well managed in the hospital and when I was home. My biggest issue was constipation and the abdominal pain associated with it. There is probably a thread on the forum for dealing with the constipation which is caused by the pain medications. I think most people are able to gradually reduce the pain medication without having withdrawal issues. The months before my surgery were so much worse than the months following surgery. Everything went so much better than I had expected.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Guys, Kathy made it through her surgeries at UCSF. She has a very good looking rack! Looks like a T2-Pelvis.

She is around 2 weeks post right now.....which we all know how that feels.....

Thought you guys should know....

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi!

Originally posted by Kstrong529 View Post
              Omg u broke a vertebra a week after surgery? How does that even happen? I do have an excellent spine team. UCSF medical center. Dr Ames. He did a surgery on a woman in 2005 on a showed called Three Wishes where a woman's scoliosis was so severe, she was wheelchair bound He made her walk again. That's what I'm looking forward to if I don't have the surgery. I haven't left my home all year except for dr appts & scans. I am truly TERRIFIED of the procedure as well as the recovery time I'm also afraid of what it will feel like coming off of all the opioids. Withdrawals. I'm not sure how to ease my anxiety. Since I've scheduled the surgery which is actually May 2017 on my 51st bday, they are trying to move me up to March Any suggestions on how to prepare myself mentally? I'm getting a scan today because my neck is much worse so I may be looking at entire fusion. I cry just talking about it. My parents refused surgery for me when I was 12. Of course the brace did nothing. I've already lost another inch of height this year.
              Hi KStrong,

I haven't had my surgery yet, but it is scheduled for Feb 28 and Mar 2 in two stages, like Ed's surgery was done.

I am quite nervous about mine as well. Yours is much more involved than mine and I wish you well. I promise that I will keep you in my prayers. I will pray for complete healing and pain relief and for peace for you. I hope that you have someone at home or other family to give you the help and support that you will need. Please know that I'm thinking about you.

Hugs,
              Sheryl in TX

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Guys, Kathy made it through her surgeries at UCSF. She has a very good looking rack! Looks like a T2-Pelvis.

She is around 2 weeks post right now.....which we all know how that feels.....

Thought you guys should know....

Ed
                Thanks for the update Ed. Please tell Kathy that I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to her. It's a busy time at work right now. I've got a new employee who is going out on maternity leave in a few weeks, I'm in the process of hiring another employee, and I'm getting ready to transition to part-time.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Will do.

Part time is a good thing. I can imagine the commute each day into SF is trying.....Heck, my commute is trying now that the Tesla Giga-factory is up and running. The traffic is really starting to bother me.

I hope not too part time here on the forum.....I don’t know what we would do without you here.

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    Will do.

Part time is a good thing. I can imagine the commute each day into SF is trying.....Heck, my commute is trying now that the Tesla Giga-factory is up and running. The traffic is really starting to bother me.

I hope not too part time here on the forum.....I don’t know what we would do without you here.

Ed
                    Thanks Ed. I actually live in SF, having moved here 3 years ago. It's not the commute as much as the alarm clock! I'm 67, so it's time. I'll be retiring from UCSF completely around mid-year. I'll probably maintain my presence here.

--Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                    X