Scoliosis Scholarships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Scholarships?

My music teacher and I were talking, and she said something about a scholarship for scoliosis. Now, she's a very trustworthy woman, but I did a teeny bit of research, and I had no luck for finding one. Does anybody know if there actually is one?

Thankss :]
    braceyourself.

You may be able to get some financial help through the Office of Vocational Rehab through your state LAbor Department. I know that years ago they said they would pay for my college if I changed my major. I was to stubborn, so I had to pay my own way.
    T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
    2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
    3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
    Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Well, it's not that I need financial help or anything, but I'd be really happy if I were able to get a scholarship for scoliosis, because it would be helpful, but it's really no big deal if I dont.
      Thanks!
      braceyourself.

Comment

I believe there is a scoliosis scholarship available at one of the universities in Arizona.

Comment

Oh, Arizona is a very far way from home for me, so I don't think that is one of my options. Thanks anyway!
          braceyourself.

Comment

i was curious, so i did some research and here's a website that i found if you want to look at it:

http://www.collegescholarships.org/h...s-students.htm

i think there are some if you have severe scoliosis. im sure if you continue looking you will find some more information. good luck!

scoliodancer

I'm bringing curvy back

Comment

Thanks a ton! That helped a bunch! :]]
              braceyourself.

Comment

welcomes!!!

I'm bringing curvy back

Comment

Originally posted by spine'[chicka]
                  Well, it's not that I need financial help or anything, but I'd be really happy if I were able to get a scholarship for scoliosis, because it would be helpful, but it's really no big deal if I dont.
                  Thanks!
                  I hope I understood what you wrote correctly, and that my views on it are explained sufficiently.

As a single Mom (sans child support) for many years, my children needed Pell Grants, scholarships and every other funding source available to attend college. The financial help for which we applied wasn't requested for their happiness (or mine) ... there was truly a NEED.

Why would you apply for a scholarship (simply because you're eligible) when you claim you don't actually need it - and reduce the chance of an award to someone who truly *does*?

Just curious ...
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Hugs to you! I am so proud of all your results! I am glad everything went so well!

TX you are edgey. I know you just had surgery, but reconsider your perspecitive. Sometimes you are critical before kind.

Is it possible that she could borrow the money and go to college, but it would be better than great to get a scholarship?!

I don't think she said she had unlimited funds. Just that it would be nice to get a scholarship. The majority of kids that go to school have loans. Are you saying that if you can get a loan, you should not apply for a scholarship?

That's not fair.

You need to re-evaluate before you speak. Most of those posting are kids. Temper what you say to that.

I am not trying to cut you down, just asking that you reconsider. The first thing that comes to mind, may not be the only possibility.
                    Last edited by cherylplinder; 02-20-2008, 11:21 PM.
                    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Originally posted by cherylplinder
                      TX you are edgey. I know you just had surgery, but reconsider your perspecitive. Sometimes you are critical before kind.

Is it possible that she could borrow the money and go to college, but it would be better than great to get a scholarship?!

I don't think she said she had unlimited funds. Just that it would be nice to get a scholarship. The majority of kids that go to school have loans. Are you saying that if you can get a loan, you should not apply for a scholarship?

That's not fair.

You need to re-evaluate before you speak. Most of those posting are kids. Temper what you say to that.

I am not trying to cut you down, just asking that you reconsider. The first thing that comes to mind, may not be the only possibility.
                      Cheryl, I responded to exactly what she wrote - and asked questions accordingly. I'm well aware of your opinion of me, but it's simply that ... your opinion. We all have them, and obviously ours differ.

Thanks, however, for your well-intended advice. It's very sweet of you to offer it so freely. And how omniscient of you to assume you know my intentions and mood ;-).
                      Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                      AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                      Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                      Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                      EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Cheryl,

I don't want to get in the middle of the debate between you and Pam, but I just wanted to say that I, too, was confused by the original post. When that girl wrote that "she did not need financial assistance" I didn't know whether to take that as meaning that her family was well off OR that she'd apply for loans instead. It wasn't clear - and I think Pam was just asking for clarification.

I find that even when we go to Shriners, I won't take so much as a free taxi ride to the train station (even though they offer it) because I figure if I can afford the cab ride, I'd rather let their resources be used by someone who really needs it.

Take care,
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Scholarships such as the ones she is talking about are usually based on academic merit, community service, after school activities and "essay contest" type entries, etc. rather than financial need. Anyone can apply for scholarships regardless of financial need. Many of these scholarships are funded by private companies such as credit unions and banks as well as private fundraising by ethnic groups, organizations, clubs, etc.
                          By filling out a FAFSA (free application for federal student aid) it will allow you to determine if you qualify for any grants/scholarships, etc. on a financial need basis.

Comment

I get all of your points on that; I was just saying that it would be a help to get one, and I would appreciate it. Sorry that it caused such a fuss. Thanks for helping.
                            braceyourself.

Comment

Working...
                            X