confused about this pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about this pain?

I would like to ask if anyone has had a pain similar to this new one that has come up for me. My curves have been progressing. There has been some progression in the thoracic rib hump, hence some new pain sites as a result. The one that has me confused is right under my left breast. It feels like the rib is sore or sticking into my chest. Is that possible? Anyone got any ideas? Your thoughts will be appreciated. I hope to have revision surgery for list of problems including flat-back, stenosis, etc. First, however I must get my neck fixed because the pain from the neck has brought me to my knees. I must say though, this pain under my breast is almost as bad as the pain from the neck.
    scoli appeared age 15
    untreated until age 30
    41* T & 72* L
    Harrington Rod T4 to L4
    33* T & 53* L
    neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
    Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

I've had some nasty rib pain, which seems to be better after revision (somewhat better). The pain you are describing is similar, like I was being stabbed or something at the very lower few ribs on my left side. It was a sudden onset type pain too, not like muscular pain which builds up. I put it down to nerve problems after anterior surgery, as my incision site was on the same side as the pain.

I too had a curve progression.

I hope your revision offers you some relief.
    1994 curve at age 13, 70 degrees, untreated
    2000 Anterior fusion with instrumentation T9-L2, corrected to 36 degrees, 14 degree angle between fused and un-fused thoracic spine.
    2007 26 degrees junctional scoliosis
    Revision surgery, 6th December 2007 T4 to L3, Posterior approach.
    msandham.blogspot.com

Comment

I have discs that are degenerating in that area and have rib pain. It was so bad that I ended up with pneumonia from not being able to take a deep breath. I have had a couple of nerve ablations to try to stop the pain. With where your curve is, it could be pressing or irritating the nerves that go around your rib cage.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Rainbow2010

I appreciate your post. However, you uttered the word I did not want to hear "pheumonia." Just a little dry humor. On the serious side; I too have had pneumonia twice. Both times landed me in the hospital. I think I have had a couple of others episodes, but have reached the point that fear keeps me from going to the Dr. It seems so "less then intelligent", but to be honest I have truely reached the point that fear will keep me from calling or going to the Dr. I have endured so much & somehow developed fears that freeze me in my tracks. This pain is not that different then the pain from the pneumonia. However, no feaver, no pain when I bend over. It just feels like a stabbing pain that comes mostly towards the end of the day. My ability to stand up straight also gets less as the day goes on. I can't stand up straight at all. As the day goes on I am looking at the ground more & more. I can't even look at someone if they are standing talking to me. I think this one is from posture or the lack of.

What do you mean "nerve abalation"? Does it work? How is it done & by whom? How many times do you have to do it?
        scoli appeared age 15
        untreated until age 30
        41* T & 72* L
        Harrington Rod T4 to L4
        33* T & 53* L

Comment

An ablation is when they stick a needle in your back and stimulate the nerve to see if that is the one bothering you. Then they heat the needle up with radiowaves and burn the nerve. The scar tissue keeps the nerve from sending back pain messages. (They do give you mediine to relax you and numb your back first!) I have had it done two times. The doctor told me it could take three times before the nerves stop trying to repair themselves. My pain had started out in the evening, then started occurring earlier in the day, and was finally to the point of all the time by the time I found the right doctors. Don't be afraid to go to the doctor. If you find one that specializes in adult scoliosis from this site, you will have a good doctor.

Comment

rainbow2010

Thanks for the explination. I will find a dr thanks to this site & good folks like you. It is amazing how beneficial it is to be able to ask people who have been there is! I have used search engines combined with this site to compile a folder of possible dr's. Because I need to have the neck done, then the revision I am trying to decide if I will select a dr for each or 1 dr to do both. It seems that some dr's specialize in necks & mine is in as big a mess as they come. Because the neck & this pain on the upper rib are the 2 pains causing me the most difficulty I hope to get the neck done 1st. In addition to that I need someone to look at my right foot. I think I broke it 2 yrs ago & it has just gotten more & more painful. I did not go to the dr because I did not think there was much they could do for it. I kicked a concrete block trying to get ants off my shoe, the middle toe broke & the pain has increased every day since. But back to the abalation. Very interesting!

As far as my choice of Dr's I am considering Dr. Moreno (sp?) in S. FL, Dr. Hey, Dr. at Baylor in TX, Dr LaGrone in TX & Dr. Cauthen in Gainesville Fl. I can't find much on Cauthen but sure would like to since he is only 5 hrs from us & an easy drive to boot. Any thoughts you may have on any of these Dr.'s would be appreciated.

I appreciate your boost of encouragement. I will not put off looking for treatement.

Have a Good Day!
            scoli appeared age 15
            untreated until age 30
            41* T & 72* L
            Harrington Rod T4 to L4
            33* T & 53* L

Comment

I have a 2 hour drive to one of my doctors and a 1 1/2 hour drive to the other. I live northwest of Atlanta and had a hard time finding doctors around here. We found a fantastic doctor for my daughter and he retired shortly after her surgery. It can be frustrating and sometimes you have to doctor shop and see who is the best for you. I had foot surgery at the end of june because I had broken my foot 8 years ago and it wasn't treated properly. I wore a hole in the cartlidge where my big toe joins my foot! With scoliosis you have to be very careful of your feet and knees because you tend to put more pressure on one side of your body because of your curve.

Comment

Working...
              X