SRS 2000 paper on the efficacy of alternative treatments for scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SRS 2000 paper on the efficacy of alternative treatments for scoliosis

I wonder if any of these conclusions would change in 2016. I doubt it.

http://heyclinic.com/wpdev/wp-conten..._Scoliosis.pdf
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

I knew this paper existed, but had never seen it previously. Good stuff.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I didn’t know that Color therapy originated in Atlantis....I thought that was something that originated in San Francisco in the 1960’s. He he

Even though jokes are needed, I am shedding a few tears....Its been a long road.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        I didn’t know that Color therapy originated in Atlantis....I thought that was something that originated in San Francisco in the 1960’s. He he

Even though jokes are needed, I am shedding a few tears....Its been a long road.

Ed
        LOL I didn't notice that!

Truth is stranger than fiction but fiction can be very amusing.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I've spent a lot of time, communicating with patients blindly believing, and making claims for almost all of the treatments mentioned. It sort of makes me feel nauseated, when I think of all that wasted time, and all of the money people have wasted on bogus treatment scams.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Wow! There was non surgical scoliosis publications in the past century! It seems that none or very few or small double blind studies but we cannot expect too much of course.. I always think how more difficult should had to be having scoliosis in those times.
            Last edited by flerc; 07-16-2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Anyway is very interesting what they said about Yoga for Scoliosis. Also about braces, even the Copes brace, I always thought it should have to be a good brace.

Comment

Fortunately we live in the 21st century! This old literature may confuse new people in scoliosis thinking in non surgical methods.. if there is someone in this forum, I doubt it, even new people in scoliosis knows what kind of forum is this..
                Last edited by flerc; 07-16-2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                  Also about braces, even the Copes brace, I always thought it should have to be a good brace.
                  I thought so also.....but that was 25 years ago. I have attached photos of my Copes brace. I actually still have it. If you have any questions on Copes, I will happy to answer them...

I did many alternatives through the years....

Ed
                  Attached Files

My x-rays

Comment

Thanks Ed, yes, I wish to know if this brace has something to do with what I imagine or not. Time ago I thought in a brace supporting the spine, don't pushing the ribs as rigid braces does, but leaning on the hips, pushing up the armpits. I found a brace that was known as very effective two centuries ago, using this idea, but it was made of iron, of course with the technology available, sure something very much better may be done. Do you think that Copes brace have followed that idea?.

Comment

Flerc, I have no idea. I would have to see a photo of the brace you are describing from 200 years ago.

The Copes brace does support under the armpits, and the hips. It keeps you from bending sideways, but you can lean forward at the hips. Since I have a double rotational, the pneumatic bladders pushed on my rib hump and also my lumbar hump. Copes did not expect any improvement in the thoracic, but expected the lumbar to improve, which it did. Improvement was just a few degrees, and I noticed some improvement from the lumbar pain while participating in the program. The brace was a full brace, and very hot at times. Copes was an orthoist, and made braces through a typical casting method, the same method that was used in my post surgical clam shell brace. The idea of the pneumatic bladders was encouraging, and the rest of the program was worthless.

I was worried that I was doing damage with my skiing....and since I was skiing really hard during those days, I needed something. We had no scoliosis surgeons in my state back then, and no insurance company will buy an adult a brace when they are a surgical candidate. Bracing a double rotational patient wasn’t recommended back in 1974. I did not see a scoliosis surgeon for many years because I didn’t want surgery and did some of the alternatives that are on this list buying time since I knew all along I would need surgery. I went as long as I could before submitting to surgery.

It offered the protection I wanted and it also was good for knowing what a full fusion would feel like.

As far as scoliosis is concerned, it had little or no value.

I also did a lot of Chiropractic through the years, which for short term pain worked well, but for scoliosis, it also had little or no value.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Thanks Ed, so it seems I was not wrong. I think this idea of supporting the trunk over the hips is a very good idea for braces, is incredible that current braces are basically the same that they were thousands of years ago. The exception, probably the only one is the Spinecor, but it has really so few to do with a brace.
                        Braces and surgery try to straight the spine using external forces (not belonging to the body). Probably this Copes brace was not enough strong to support a very significant reduction in brace, so usefulness were too much limited, but it should to be more attemps.
                        Of course at least in adults a contundent method able to make significant changes in the structure is needed. And of course nobody may expect today that methods of that list as Surface Electrical Stimulation may by their own may be effective. Is the same that expecting to have chances in a fight with someone much more big, heavy, young and strong with boxing. Of course you would need to know something as taekwondo and boxing would be only a good complement as all those therapies would be using its with something as Iyengar Yoga or braces.. ignorance was great time ago.
                        Nobody may say you that you didn't do a rational decision trying with non surgical methods.. in those times people was not so much influenced, this forum didn't exist but fortunately today people are in Face groups and others.. they know what kind of forum is this. But it is still the biggest around the world so is ever useful to belong to it.

Comment

Working...
                        X