Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things to do to STRAIGHTEN spine

Hi:

I have an S curve in my spine, left on the upper part, and tilting to the right on the lower part. What are some exercises i can do to correct itÉ

thanks

At least, I know pilates helps a lot with posture. I look straighter for a while right after each session.

Cheers,

Diagnosed at 9, Boston brace during teenage years
    56* left thoracolumbar curve, slight rib hump
    Deciding on timing for surgery

Comment

thanks for the suggestion.

i also have a bit of trunk rotation, when i stand on the ground with two feet aligned and even lined, my pelvis has its right side more forward than the left, imagine my upper body is still, my pelvis is twisting counter-clock wise), to reduce the rotation, does twisting the other way help? at least with no adverse effects?

good luck on your surgery

Comment

Originally posted by halfstep View Post
        to reduce the rotation, does twisting the other way help? at least with no adverse effects?

Sorry, I can't say much about twisting. My main curve is lumbar and I avoid a lot of twisting during Pilates, not for pain reasons, but because I don't have flexibility there to help with waist level exercises. Also feels weird. You got me interested now in asking this to my Dr. I'll share the info.

I target work outs mostly to keep the upper back straight (have mild kyphosis too).

Diagnosed at 9, Boston brace during teenage years
        56* left thoracolumbar curve, slight rib hump
        Deciding on timing for surgery

Comment

Hi:

I have an S curve in my spine, left on the upper part, and tilting to the right on the lower part. What are some exercises i can do to correct itÉ

thanks
          do you know what degree curvatures you have? when was your last xray?

Comment

22 degrees on upper left thoraic, and 12 degree to the right on lumbar.

I have a pretty obvious rotation, my pelvis is twisting counter-clock wise.

i tried to de-rotate by twisting the other way, all i get is numb left foot

Comment

Hi Halfstep

Welcome to NSF forums

I dont know much about straightening... But my docs hooked me up with some awesome exercise resources.

*huggs*
              dani

Comment

Welcome, my scoliosis is a lot like yours. I also have an S curve, Like 10 degrees Mid-Throatic and 20 degrees Lumbar, I also have a trunk rotation and I lean to my left side.
                I heard swimming is really good for your back, and my doctor told me to do core toning exercises and special stretches my Physical Therapist gave me. Talk to you doctor or a Physical Therapist about what exercises and stretches are right for you. I'm not a professional and don't want to give you any wrong information.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes

Comment

Yoga might be helpful. There are special yoga exercises for scoliosos.

Ruth
                  Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi:

thanks
                    There are exercises that you can do to strengthen the muscles, help your posture, and help lessen back pain. However, if anyone found exercises that legitimately 'straightened' the spine permanently, they would be a very rich person.

I hope your scoliosis can be managed with exercise alone. Good luck.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                    X