Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frazzled

Hello,

I am 51 years old. I have surgery in 1978 at Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital in Cleveland Ohio. I have a Harrington Rod. I have 2 vertebrae in my neck that are fused. I was born this way and I have no pain as a result. My rod is broken but is not currently causing any issues. I have been in pain for about 5 years now. My lower back hurts all the time. I am not happy.

I recently saw Dr Eppig of the Cleveland Clinic. He did a cat scan and an MRI. I have 4 vertebrae and 3 discs below the fusion that have done all the work for the past 35 years. The 3 disc between the vertebrae are very damaged. He wants to do a fusion of these four vertebrae. This is a very large surgery with a long long recovery. I am scared.

I cannot afford not to work. Does anyone know anything about social security disability? I don’t know what I should do.

Thank you for listening,

Moe
    Last edited by Mary Maureen; 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM.

Originally posted by Mary Maureen View Post
    Hello,

I am 51 years old. I have surgery in 1978 at Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital in Cleveland Ohio. I have a Harrington Rod. I have 2 vertebrae in my neck that are fused. I was born this way and I have no pain as a result. My rod is broken but is not currently causing any issues. I have been in pain for about 5 years now. My lower back hurts all the time. I am not happy.

I recently saw Dr Eppig of the Cleveland Clinic. He did a cat scan and an MRI. I have 4 vertebrae and 3 discs below the fusion that have done all the work for the past 35 years. The 3 disc between the vertebrae are very damaged. He wants to do a fusion of these four vertebrae. This is a very large surgery with a long long recovery. I am scared.

I cannot afford not to work. Does anyone know anything about social security disability? I don’t know what I should do.

Thank you for listening,

Moe
    Hi Moe...

If you decide to have surgery, you should be able to receive short-term disability from the state of Ohio. I don't know how it works there, but your employer or your surgeon's office can help.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Mary,

It is so hard to do this big surgery and recovery takes a long time. In Illinois{where I live} I was able to get on disabily. the state should not make any difference as it is Social Security. You have to plan on it taking sometime . And from what I know , you can go on and off of diablity.
      I have remained on disability as my type of work is not possible with a fused spine.
      I will be glad to answer you questions and would suggest you make an appointment to talk to someone at the local office.
      Jackie
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020