X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blaming rectal cancer on fusion

Gratis our good friends at Clear...

http://www.clear-institute.org/Testi...1/Default.aspx

This poor woman has massive confusion on top of all her medical issues. It's very sad.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

The link won't open for me.
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Link attempt says - Bad Request.

Comment

Sorry. Hmmm....

Try this...

http://www.clear-institute.org/

Then click on the Testimonials link at the top. It starts playing immediately.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Hmmm....let's see, my mom has had six total knee replacements, too many other knee surgeries to list, her gallbladder removed, carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, she's an insulin dependent diabetic and she is currently battling ovarian cancer for the third time,(I'll won't list all her other surgeries) and gee, she doesn't have Scoliosis, so she's never had a spinal fusion. Wonder what caused all her health issues?

It is so sad that some people actually believe stuff like this. Now if she said she lived within five miles of a nuclear power plant that had a melt-down and she had, cancer, then I'd tend to agree with her. I have never searched for the "why does my mom have cancer or why does my dad have cancer", but we do live within five miles of a nuclear power plant (Three Mile Island, (TMI) 1979) that had a melt-down and it makes a lot of us in our town wonder about the amount of cancer patients in our town. Makes me wonder.

Oh, wait, should I blame TMI for my daughter's Kyphoscoliosis?

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
            Hmmm....let's see, my mom has had six total knee replacements, too many other knee surgeries to list, her gallbladder removed, carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, she's an insulin dependent diabetic and she is currently battling ovarian cancer for the third time,(I'll won't list all her other surgeries) and gee, she doesn't have Scoliosis, so she's never had a spinal fusion. Wonder what caused all her health issues?

It is so sad that some people actually believe stuff like this. Now if she said she lived within five miles of a nuclear power plant that had a melt-down and she had, cancer, then I'd tend to agree with her. I have never searched for the "why does my mom have cancer or why does my dad have cancer", but we do live within five miles of a nuclear power plant (Three Mile Island, (TMI) 1979) that had a melt-down and it makes a lot of us in our town wonder about the amount of cancer patients in our town. Makes me wonder.

Oh, wait, should I blame TMI for my daughter's Kyphoscoliosis?

Mary Lou
            Well stated.

So Harrington rods and/or the surgery cause rectal cancer and a bunch of other afflictions. Who would have guessed?

And of course Clear is associating them self with this nonsense. And Clear probably wonders why they don't get a seat at the big science/medicine table.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The level to which they'll sink continually amazes me.
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

I try hard not to judge others, especially when I have not walked in their shoes. It's often a tall order, difficult to meet.

I see a patient expressing some personal thoughts after having found some long sought relief. I'm reminded of myself when I first experienced so much pain relief that I was near giddy and some were calling me the Kool-aid kid (remember?).

While spinal fusion certainly is not a cause of any cancer - maybe in this person's case, the condition was pre-existing and undiagnosed - and maybe the trauma of major surgery (of any kind), could have accelerated its surfacing. Hence, a patient's self-felt, self reporting. She misspoke. When that becomes a punishable crime .. we'll all be doing time :-)

I'm glad she has found relief and wish her continued good health.

The important piece of information that registered with me was - that there are a growing number of non surgical treatments that also prove of benefit to surgical patients, when things do not go exactly according to plan.

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                  I try hard not to judge others, especially when I have not walked in their shoes.
                  I try hard not to make blatantly counterfactual statements, especially when I am making a promotional video. It's not as hard to do as it might sound. Just the slightest effort to vet facts would work.

This is just a symptom of the vast ocean of abject scientific ignorance among the unwashed masses.

It's sad.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by mamamax View Post
                    The important piece of information that registered with me was - that there are a growing number of non surgical treatments that also prove of benefit to surgical patients, when things do not go exactly according to plan.
                    The important piece of information that registered with me was - Clear will pass along any type of nonsense in a blind leading the blind fashion.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

WOW!!!

I notice that she's standing nice and tall with level shoulders telling people to avoid surgery.

Some of the research with which I've helped over the last couple of years has been with product testing. That is, a start-up company has a new device and they think it helps people/patients in some way. So one of my mentors does some of this testing to find out if it actually does anything physiologically. Basically, they pay the lab to test their product. Some things are really amazing, other things... not so much. What this video reminds me of is when some of these developers come in and try to convince us to test their product. You'd be amazed at the claims these guys make. Curing everything from Parkinson's to diabetes to arthritis. One guy would say that people shouldn't workout out immediately after they used his product because it would make you so strong that you would tear your muscles or tendons. So we tested this. It actually made people weaker when they got out of the unit. We told him this. Doesn't matter, he still says the same thing.

I have been giving the Clear guys the benefit of the doubt because I think the exercises have some validity. But this video, plus a few other things that I have learned about them, I think I have reached the end of that.
                      Last edited by skevimc; 02-26-2010, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I haven't been on the forum for a while and I just read this thread. Then I followed Sharon's link to the Clear Institute's website. It was really nauseating and appalling to read all the blatant lies that people write in their testimonials and the rest of the website was also sickening.
                        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
                        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
                        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Hey Laurie, here some more nausea-inducing material...

The CLEAR chiros who treated that girl with hysterical scoliosis have put her video up with not a single word about how atypical, if not singular, her case is...

http://www.janzenandjanzen.com/scoli..._san_jose.html

This video replaces some photos of minuscule reductions of curves... probably within the precision. Here they present a case of a girl reducing her 63* curve to 16* in a MONTH. STILL there is no understanding or admission that this case is unlike every other case they have treated and likely will treat. It's scurrilous.

I think they are going to be in trouble with future patients who do CLEAR expecting the same results. They are shooting themselves in the foot.

How they sleep at night is a mystery.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

dumb???ordumber????

I saw that video, I thought it was quite obvious her curve was unique..I believe she says so herself in the video.

Someone would have to be an idiot to think those results are typical...

all they have to do is ask.....the CLEAR doc. I have spoken with has said he gets 25% reduction in most cases(NO where near what her reduction was).

And I know a few "fused" friends(pardon the expression) who swear "the surgery" screwed up their health. I'm not gonna argue with them...they are convinced...

So...these things are out there...but to throw CLEAR under the bus with no personal experience with it is not wise.

I personally know people who have excellent pain reduction and curve reduction with CLEAR. It is a viable alternative therapy for SOME.

Comment

Patients can easily be misguided, but "doctors" ought to know better! By putting that video on their website they are tacitly endorsing what she says, and thus implying that if you have surgery you will end up with cancer.

Why do they concentrate on how "evil" surgery is? Why on earth don't they concentrate on how good their treatment is, instead? If it was really good, they wouldn't need to scare people off surgery - they'd be able to demonstrate proof that their treatment works, and patients would come flocking.

Not every new scoliosis patient has the experience to understand that the girl in the video has an atypical curve, either. New patients are often in a state of shock and will hit the internet as soon as they have been diagnosed. I don't see why some of them wouldn't take one look at that video and immediately compare their own curve to hers, and believe that it could be straightened just as easily.

I'm sure there are some CLEAR-trained practitioners out there who are honest about their capabilities. The website is absolutely appalling though.

Comment

Working...
                              X