Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion to sacrum WITHOUT illiac screws

Hi Everyone:

I consulted by phone today with a surgeon who said he fuses to the sacrum (posterior/anterior) without illiac screws as they cause so many problems. Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks,
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Much in pain - different

I have been having lots of pain in the back and hips to legs. Did not know that the iliac screws can cause pain. But, now I wonder.
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Fusion without iliac fixation results in sacral fractures relatively often.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you, Linda. Is having a sacral fracture a problem under these circumstances? I know some fractures heal on their own, please elaborate if you can. This was a very well-known Scoliosis surgeon in NYC who told me this. Also, does not having the illiac screws mean there is no pelvic fixation? I'm a little confused.

If anyone on this forum has had a fusion to sacrum without illiac screws, please also respond.

Thanks,
        1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
        2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
        3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
        4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
        I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

I'm six weeks post op with pelvic fixation and I don't have any pain in the pelvic region. My surgeon only did the pelvic screw on one side instead of both and my screw seems to be shorter than I see in many of the xrays. Linda said that only doing one side is fine. Take a look at my most recent xrays and look at other xrays. Ed posted a crazy picture of someone who had FOUR screws into the pelvis on my thread. Maybe you can find a surgeon who is not so aggressive with the pelvic fixation. Those screws are only useful until you fuse so it's not like they are needed to hold you together for a lifetime.

Liz
          Before 39* lumbar at age 18, progressed to 74* lumbar and 22* thoracic age 55
          ALIF Jan 13, 2015, PLIF Jan 15, 2015 with Dr William Stevens, Honor Health
          Fused T-7 to S-1 with pelvic fixation

After 38* lumbar

Xrays
          Before: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...7&d=1414268930

After: http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...6&d=1424894360

Comment

Originally posted by Tableone View Post
            Thank you, Linda. Is having a sacral fracture a problem under these circumstances? I know some fractures heal on their own, please elaborate if you can. This was a very well-known Scoliosis surgeon in NYC who told me this. Also, does not having the illiac screws mean there is no pelvic fixation? I'm a little confused.
            I know you directed your question to Linda, but I wanted to chime in. I am sure a sacral fracture is extremely painful, so I would consider that a big problem. They can require surgery to stabilize which can require more hardware. It doesn't sound fun at all! Definitely something worthwhile to prevent if possible.
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Working...
            X