4 months post op =)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 months post op =)

It has been 4 full months since I had my back (and life) permanently altered. Thank the Lord, I'm doing really well! I am very excited that I'm able to sit for hours now, without pain. This is a biggie. Before this surgery, I would almost instantly have horrible sciatica whenever I sat, even if it was just for a minute. I drove down to North Palm Beach last week, which is over 2 and a half hours, and had no significant pain during OR after. I haven't driven that far in at least 3 years.

I still have pain, and I still have "bad" days, but overall I'm in less pain now than I was last December. Being able to sit has opened my life back up again to travel, movies, dinners out, and church.

I am still taking one or two hot showers every day, and seeing a massage therapist has really helped with the sore muscles. I am doing exercises and walking, and can already see great improvement in my strength. I do get wiped out very easily still, but that's a lot better than being in a lot of pain after going somewhere!

Question: how do you get in and out of a tub safely if you have nothing to hold on to?
    I tried to take one the other night in our big soaking tub and I had a very hard time getting in and out. I will also need to buy some cushions to go in there, cause it was not comfy. I almost panicked trying to get out, since I didn't want to slip on the wet tub, and I am still not allowed to bend. I eventually got out but I know I didn't do it the right way, as I was in pain after.

Anyway, just wanted to check in and encourage anyone out there who's about to take the leap. I'm only 4 months post op, and I am working full time from home, grocery shop, go out to dinner, drive, sit for hours, paint my toenails, and more. I am more and more glad I did this now, every day that goes by.

Blessings,
    Rebecca
    Rebecca
    Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
    wore night bending brace as teenager
    Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
    herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
    fusion L2-3 November 2008
    Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
    Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
    Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
    gained almost two inches in height