Surgery Finally Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Finally Here

My daughter Madeline's surgery is Sept 21st at Toronto Sick Kids Hospital...i can't believe it's here already...Looking forward to getting over this milestone and being on the road to recovery...her right lung is squished and sometimes she can't take full breaths...and she is having back pain every day...

Maddy diagnosed July 2008 (age 8) at 38 degrees
    Dec 2009 - increased to 42/45 (age 9.5)
    July 2010 – increased to 54 degrees – surgery recommended in 1.5 to 2 yrs (age 10)
    March 2011 – 61 degrees with 30% twist (almost 11)
    Sept 2011 – surgery

Praying for Maddy to have a successful surgery and recovery; also praying for her surgeon and his team to be well rested and focused during Maddy's procedure.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

These surgeons are simply amazing. You will soon see that first-hand.

Our surgeon saved the lives of both my daughters.

Good luck on Wednesday.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Praying that all goes well

The surgeons are amazing with what they can do
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I'm sure everything will go great with your daughter tomorrow. It will be nice when it's all over with too as waiting was definitely the toughest part for me and it was such a relief when it was all over with. Please keep us posted.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

i now maddy is probley out of surgery i just wanted to wish her good luck
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

Here's an update on Maddy's surgery - all went well...she had T2 to L3 fused. She spent 6 days in the hospital. After a few weeks at home, she developed very bad headaches and nausea and couldn't walk around much so we went back to the hospital but all is fine with the surgery - she became dehydrated and lost too much weight. She weighed 44 kilos prior and lost 5 kilos which is alot - she gained 2 inches from the surgery and is now 5ft 8 inches tall! Taller than me...lol. She needs to gain about 15 kilos which will take some time of course. It's now been 4.5 weeks post surgery and she isn't taking any meds - she may take a tylenol occasionally but not every day...i'm hoping she can go back to school in a few weeks but she still needs a lot of rest and gets tired very quickly...kind of worried that spending a whole day at school may be too much for her...especially with all the sitting...6 months before surgery her curve was 62, and it had progressed to 82! We have our post op appt in 2 weeks and will ask what the curve is now...and one shouldner is higher than the other which I've read will correct itself? Her head is slightly to one side as well...her hips are very straight now but one shoulder blade sticks out and her back is not perfectly straight...which is okay...so that's it...let me know if you have any questions...Dina

Comment

one other thing - Maddy scared me the other day when I heard a bang upstairs - she fell out of bed right on her butt! i was so worried she damaged the surgical area but all is okay - no pain and i will mention it to the surgeon at our visit.

Comment

What a wonderful update! I'm so happy to hear things went smoothly.

Warmly,
                  Doreen
                  44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                  Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                  2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X