three surgeries in a row?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• three surgeries in a row?

Hello everyone! My name is Lisa and I just moved from FL to Boston last year to collect myself and get ready for revision surgery with Dr Rand in Boston. I hear he is wonderful, however he stated to me that I will need three surgeries- back to back. There is also no 'promises'. I had gotten off of morphine and another pain med. and now take methadone 4x day. I have nobody to talk to, I lost a ten year relationship because my partner could not handle this anymore, and I have felt that way too. What does one do when faced with such a complex surgery ( a 50/50 chance of survival?? ), and depression, pain, and other stressors???

I admire you all, and have read some amazing things here. If anyone has any input, please, it is more than welcome, and I can take a kick in the pants when needed.

Take Care!

Lisa
    Last edited by spunky; 08-27-2005, 05:21 PM.
    Had Miluakee brace then surgery for S curve at Boston Childrens in 1979. Now at 39 have flatback, degenerative disk disease and more. Am disabled, cant walk, problems with sciatic and not able to function. On fence for revision surgery, however I have Dr Rand in Boston and plan to schedule soon.

Hi Lisa...

Did Dr. Rand really tell you that you have only a 50% chance of surviving the surgery? If that's the case, my advice would be to be sure the potential pay off outweighs the potential risks.

It's never easy to face surgery, but a lot of us have gotten through it. It can be difficult. Are you working with a psychologist or psychiatrist? That can be very helpful in terms of dealing with all that comes with such major surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda...

Originally posted by LindaRacine
      Hi Lisa...

Did Dr. Rand really tell you that you have only a 50% chance of surviving the surgery? If that's the case, my advice would be to be sure the potential pay off outweighs the potential risks.

It's never easy to face surgery, but a lot of us have gotten through it. It can be difficult. Are you working with a psychologist or psychiatrist? That can be very helpful in terms of dealing with all that comes with such major surgery.

Regards,
      Linda
      Linda,
      thanks so much for the quick reply, that means so much. Dr. Rand did not say that, I 'heard' that somewhere and was not sure where but it was signifigant enought to stick in my head. I do understand that in this surgery I may lose six pints of blood, be exposed to infection, pneumonia..ect..

I am not working with anyone, however I do wish I were. Being disabled, my insurance does not cover mental health. I have looked into other financial options, but none pan out and I cannot get out much anyway.

For a more detailed description of my surgery- I did read one person's situation with Dr Rand, and this is what he is saying to me- here is the link to his thread.

Thanks Linda!

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...highlight=Rand
      Had Miluakee brace then surgery for S curve at Boston Childrens in 1979. Now at 39 have flatback, degenerative disk disease and more. Am disabled, cant walk, problems with sciatic and not able to function. On fence for revision surgery, however I have Dr Rand in Boston and plan to schedule soon.

Comment

I did want to add

that that does sound odd, I know. Maybe because of the stress what I was told was that the surgery had a 50/50 chance of success? That is a LOT to think about, and I was told five years ago that I needed revision, needed to stop smoking and schedule but didnt- and just quit smoking on April 5, 2005~!

Now, I have to schedule this surgery, and am really scared and unsure this is the right thing to do. Is it not true that the rods are what caused the problems in the first place?

Thanks!

Comment

You sound like me.......

I read your post, I happened to do a google search and came across this site. I was trying to do some research due to the fact that I have exactly what you have, only I had my fusion on 1972 at Boston Children's. I am suffering with lower back issues and can hardly walk. I just finished having 1 spinal injection for some relief....did not work, doctor wants to try one more before surgery. To be honest, I am scared. It isone thing to be `12 and have surgery,you don't truly understand...but to be 444 and know how serious this is.........any words of wisdom or comfort would be greatly appreciated..Mary Parris

Comment

Hi Lisa...

You can find links to abstracts from published papers on scoliosis surgery here:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/SurgeryResearch.htm

You'll find that survival rates for scoliosis surgery are more than 99%, even when including patients who are very high risk. You don't mention your age, but the risk of major complications increases greatly as we age. Dr. Rand should be able to tell you his own complication rates, especially in terms of major complications. I think you'll find that they're very small.

I know that 3 surgeries sound like a lot, but they are routinely being performed in certain cases. Dr. Rand must feel like he can get the best outcome by doing your surgery that way.

You might also ask Dr. Rand if he has any resources to help you find free mental healthcare, as it's certainly in his best interest to have you emotionally strong as you go into surgery.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

For Mary

I had successful revision surgery at age 60 three years ago and got my life back!

Karen
              Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
              Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I turned 39 in June- but did smoke heavily for about 25 years. Again, I just quit April 5th which is great but Dr Rand said that I am still at risk for pnuemonia. With the quitting smoking and not being able to move, I also have gained 30 lbs over the past four years. I have a small frame, am 5'4 and weigh 150! I have never had this problem but now this presents a new issue for surgery I am sure. Dr Rand has not seen me since I gained so much weight, I am on a diet so that I can simply schedule this and go for it. There are some times that I feel so very sure of this and others when it all seems too much.

Again, thanks to everyone, Linda- I am headed to check out those links now. Thanks!!

If anyone has any positive surgery stories, I could use them, good luck to all of you!

Comment

Working...
                X