Rigo-Cheneau update for G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigo-Cheneau update for G

My daughter, now 8 ½ , just had a follow-up OOB x-ray. Her curve (thoracic) which had reached 35* is now 11* OOB. The x-ray was taken after more than 48 hours out of brace, and measured by her pediatric orthopedic surgeon, as all her prior x-rays have been. She has worn the Rigo-Cheneau full time for about 15 months. She will now wear it 12 hours a day (overnight hours). We are so happy to have been able to reset the clock on her scoliosis. If you have any questions about our experience with the Rigo-Cheneau brace, please PM.
    mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
    Providence night brace, increased to 35*
    Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
    14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
    Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
    currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

That's fantastic! Congrats to you both

Comment

Congratulations

Your story continues to be my inspiration to move on to the Rigo-Cheneau brace sooner than later. We are in the SpineCor and Boston brace right now but a day does not pass that I think we should be in the RC brace.

You may have posted it in the past but how much correction did you get in the brace, especially when she was at 35?

Syd reached 36 and we went into the SpineCor brace and got down to about 22 degrees in the brace (last October 2009). In January 2010 of this year she was about 30 degrees out of brace and down to 18 degrees in the brace.

Most recently (March) she was about 28-30 degrees out of brace and 13 degrees in brace (with Boston brace).

I had read someplace that the amount of out of brace correction is directly dependent to the amount of in-brace correction (and other factors like compliance). So I was wondering how much correction you were able to get along the way with the brace.

Thanks
      Michael

Comment

Hi Michael,

G's in-brace correction when she was at 35* was to 3*. She had an in-brace x-ray at that time when she was moving into the full-time brace, but has not had one since as neither her doctor nor orthotist feels it is necessary given her history of excellent in-brace correction. She also has been fully compliant with the brace, with normal exceptions for certain events, and has found it comfortable to wear, which I'm pretty sure is a big part of her acceptance of it.

Chris
        Last edited by mamandcrm; 04-07-2010, 08:33 AM.
        mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
        11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
        latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

Thanks Chris

That is a great in-brace correction. I think that it is so important for the brace (or some other treatment) to take the spine as close to 0 degrees as possible or maybe even over correction.

This is why I am so interested in the Rigo-Cheneau brace, the amount of in-brace correction. Syd is getting 30 down to 13 in the Boston brace (maybe a little better as I begin to tighten it more). On one of the websites for the RC brace it shows a girl, maybe 9-11 yrs. old being corrected from 34 degrees to -9 degrees in the brace.

We got into the Boston brace because we were at Shriners Hospital to discuss VBS. They wanted to see Syd down to 25-30 degrees to consider her for "stapling only" versus "stapling and a growing rod". The doctor there suggested the Boston brace (he was not familiar with the RC brace). And there was no charge for it so we decided to try it.

It would be awesome to have Syd down to 3 degrees in a brace. Did you have yours fitted with Luke? I am sure we discussed this before. I talked to Luke a couple months ago.

Also, when you are getting cobb angle measurements, do they always measure the worse curve or measure from the same vertebrae each time. I have heard of two different approaches, and maybe both need to be done.

For example, with Syd her initial largest curve was 36 T4-T12 (and T5-T12). That curve today, about 5 months later with SpineCor and some chiropractic treatment, is now only 23 degrees (out of brace).

However, the T5-T9 curve has increased from about 25-28. So, her worse curve is now about 28 but it is between T5-T9. So, when comparing worse curves she has gone down from 36 to 28. But when comparing same vertebrae measurements of her worse starting curve she has gone down from 36 to 23. I would very much value your thoughts on that.

Thank you so much for sharing what you have done and the results. I have been thinking about the RC brace for some time now. Had we not gotten the free Boston brace we may be in it already. After we spent a lot of money (no insurance help) in treatment and travel between Nov 2009 and Mar 2010 a free brace was welcomed!

I will probably wait and see our first out of brace measurement with the Boston brace (June or July) and then consider moving forward with the RC brace and being much more aggressive. It is results like yours that give me hope that I can keep Syd out of surgery, if nothing else, for a few more years. The longer we can wait, the more she grows, and the more time for new minimal invasive surgical techniques to be developed and proven.

One last question, did you see much improvement in rotation (rib hump) with the RC brace. While the Boston brace can work on derotation, it seems the RC brace design may emphasize more derotation. Also, sorry for all the questions, is yours an Rigo-Cheneau brace or Cheneau brace? I read someplace they are different.

Thanks Again

Michael

Comment

Wonderful News! and thanks for posting your update. I find it very interesting to hear about children's results over time in various types of bracing.

Congratulations on the part time bracing also!!!! When will she get her next xray?
            daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
            -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
            -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
            -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Thanks all for your kind congratulations.

Jill, she will get her next x-ray in 6 months. I'll be drinking a lot of pina coladas this summer while biting my nails.

Michael, I will send you a PM shortly.
              mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
              11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
              latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Even better that her reduced brace wearing time is just in time for summer! Good luck!
                -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

It's 49 degrees here right now and she's running around in a halter top (which she plans on wearing out tonight!)...because she can...I love it...I love this brace!
                  mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                  11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                  latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

I've been meaning to post these x-rays for a while for anyone who is interested. I don't have a copy of the one from when G was 35*. The 2009 x-ray here is a later one from when she was 27*, about 4 months after she started wearing the Rigo-Cheneau. The 2010 is the most recent x-ray from April--11*. I had a hard time re-sizing these to be within the limits so hopefully this works. [This is a duplicate of my last post. I deleted and reposted because I needed to reattach the x-rays and couldn't figure out how to do that in the original].
                    mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                    11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                    latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Great results I am happy for you, hope this means less brace time?

We looked into the cheneau brace and met with the orthotist and he stated my dd curve would likely progress regardless of chaneau brace...so I decided to go with Boston brace. We will see what happens in Dec. xrays

I haven't been online much....busy with family stuff...ykwIM
                      Besides the Boston brace, she does a 1/2 hr of PT each day, and massage therapy, and chiropractor care. Honestly I feel the PT is the best therapy using schroth and 2nd is the massage, her massage therapist releases muscle tension..which help her feel better. She wears the brace about 18 hours a day, It irritates her skin so breaks are needed.

Anyway ...just want to say Congrats!
                      age 15
                      Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                      T20 l23 10-09
                      T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                      T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                      T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                      Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                      Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

6 months later

After 6 months of reduced brace time (23 hours to 12 hours), and significant growth, G's curve remains at 11 degrees out of brace. Her history is posted below in my signature.
                        mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                        11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                        latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

That's great news!

I wish there was much more study on bracing in JIS. It might have a better track record than in AIS.

Maybe it is even like IIS where there is a benign type (the most common type IIRC) that responds to conservative treatment and a type that doesn't.
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

How wonderful that her curve is holding at a mere 11 degrees even after 6 months of overnight only!!! Thanks for the update. Please keep us in the loop as you have future appointments. (how much has she grown in the past 6 months)?

Comment

Hi Jill, she grew an 1 1/2 inches in the last six months. Next update for her may not be for a year. At her next 6 month appointment, she currently just is scheduled for a clinical exam. We'll do an x-ray at that time only if it looks like there has been significant change.
                              mamandcrm

14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
                              11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
                              latest OOB xray 5/14 13*

Comment

Working...
                              X