Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing colors???

Hi All,
    I am posting this in the revision thread because I am assuming it has something to do with the broken rods.

About a week ago I felt another one of those dreaded "rod breaking" pops, this time higher up, and on the left side. Since then there has been the annoyance of the creaking, popping, and grinding, but now in two locales along the length. I am assuming I broke the left rod somewhere around L1-T11...at least that is what it feels like. I could be wrong, but if that rods comes out in less than 3 pieces I'll be shocked.
    In either case, I have been fairly swollen in that area in the last week. But the other day my husband noticed that my scar has darkened around that same area, and almost looks "purple-ish".

Anyone have this happen to them? I'm not super worried about it, since it doesn't seem to be doing anything that feels abnormal (ie...abnormal when a rod is broken), but it does seem a little strange.
    At the times I am most swollen is when it appears more purple/darker.
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh MY!!! You certainly have it all going for you, Fierce! If I were you, I would give my surgeon a call and let him know about the color change, (or at least someone from his office) just to make sure there isn't some urgency needed with this. I don't know if that could be an indicator of an infection... or just an irritation.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
    X