Surgery scheduled- advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery scheduled- advice needed!

I am having revision surgery in less than 2 weeks. I had a rod put in back in '97 when I was 12. I am now 26 and am having the old rods removed, a vertebral column resection and then a fusion from T2-L5.

I am terrified. Can anyone who has had this type or surgery please offer me any advice, or share you experience with me? I don't know what to expect and it is getting closer and closer- I am freaking out!

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any responses!

Hello Pinkpineapple,
    I understand your feelings, believe me? You say a revision surgery - is that from scoliosis or some other spinal disorder? What degree is your curve?
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
      Hello Pinkpineapple,
      I understand your feelings, believe me? You say a revision surgery - is that from scoliosis or some other spinal disorder? What degree is your curve?
      Hi RitaR!
      It's from scoliosis. I don't remember the actual measurements of my curve at the moment- all the paperwork is at my office. But the problem is that the spinal cord above and below my previous fusion is rotating and twisting, and the original curve is still progressing. I have significant lung restrictions because of my curve- my lung capacity is at about 60%. I have a lot of pain, and it is just worsening. I tried a pain clinic but was not able to take such strong narcotics due to it lowering my respirations. Now I'm taking about 5 Percocet per day just to get through until the surgery. I have a significant rib hump, very uneven waist, uneven shoulders, ect.
      At the time of my first surgery, they did not attempt any correction at all. They just placed a rod on the worst part of the curve to stop it from getting worse. I wish that was not the decision that was made, but it wasn't up to me at that time.
      I am wondering what to expect after this revision... Most people that I have spoken to about it have said that things are so different now than when I had my first surgery.
      What should I expect in terms of pain? Getting back to work? Daily activities? Any advice is appreciated.
      Thank you for replying.

Edit- I believe my curve is around 80degrees. It's a large C.

Comment

Hi Pinkpineapple-- I can't help you with your questions because I haven't had revision surgery... I do want to wish you well with your surgery and I'd also like to list it on our non-official surgery calendar thread that is in the surgical-1st time section... January, Feb, March 2010 surgeries.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi,

Sorry I cant give u any advice as I have not had revision surgery but like u have a large curve post fusion. I do have a question though Have the surgeons said that they can correct your curve or are they doing the surgery to stop your pain only?

Good look with your operation. you may want to try a few more groups.

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/ is an English website but there are people on there who have had revision.

Best of Luck
          Amanda

Comment

surgery scheduled

Not sure how much help this will be but I've had 4 surgeries due to scoliosis, the 1st one was in 1987 fused from T-5 to L-2, harrington rods. 1 & 1/2 yrs later they broke and had to be done all over again. 3 yrs after that due to prominence of the hardware, protruding my skin, the superior portion, the claw, had to be removed. Another year or so later the rest of that rod had to be removed for the same reason. If I am not mistaken I started off with a 70 degree curve, they had to stop my spine from rotating and moving my ribs, eventually crushing my heart & lungs, after correction from the first surgery I was at a 45 degree curve. The last 3 surgeries had nothing to do with my curve, they all had to do with the instrumentations but I too had a rib hump that was corrected during my last surgery by shaving my ribs, they considered it cosmetic but eventually agreed to do it. The last 2 surgeries really weren't as bad as the first 2 but everyone will tell that we are all different and all heal differently, just take it easy and don't push yourself to hard to fast, let your body heal. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Working...
            X