Dr. Joseph Dreyer(NYC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Joseph Dreyer(NYC)

Does anyone have any info on this Doctor. My daughter is a patient of Dr. Lonner's in Manhattan(Who has been an absolute godsend) My best friends daughter has now been diagnosed with scoliosis as well. Unfortunately, he is not in her plan and she has no out of network option. Dr. Dreyer is the only spine doctor offered to her and I am desperately trying to help her out here as her daughter does need surgery. I have read his credentials which are impressive but I need more information.
    Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Linda

Hi Linda,

I've heard excellent things about Dr. Lonner. Unfortunately, I have never heard of Dr. Dreyer (obviously, that doesn't mean he isn't a good doctor).

You say that he is "the only spine doctor offered to her". I assume that's because of insurance issues.

May I make a suggestion. We, too, live in NY and we go to Shriners in Philadelphia. My son had surgery there four years ago and they are TOPS in every aspect of care. They also do not charge for their services so insurance is not an issue. We happen to have very good insurance but we chose Shriners because of their expertise.

If your friend wants to get a consult there, the number is 1-800-281-4050. Ask for Janet Cerrone. If you read this forum, and others, you'll see how highly folks speak of the team at Shriners in Philadelphia.

Good luck.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thank you so much Maria. I have heard wonderful things about Shriners but hadn't even thought of it. I was under the impression that they only accepted patients with no insurance at all. I am going to pass this information along to her.

Comment

Linda, I don't have personal experience with Dr. Dreyer, but I have spoken to a mom who does and she highly recommends him. As you mentioned, you can see his credentials are good but the mom also really likes his "bedside manner". She also felt that the orthotist that works with Dr. Dreyer is very good. Her daughter was diagnosed with juvenile scoliosis when she was 5 years old and after meeting with several doctors, they decided to go with Dr. Dryer and have been seeing him for the 6 or 7 years since.

Good luck to your friend!
        Last edited by jillw; 03-05-2008, 08:13 AM.
        daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Originally posted by lin515
          Thank you so much Maria. I have heard wonderful things about Shriners but hadn't even thought of it. I was under the impression that they only accepted patients with no insurance at all. I am going to pass this information along to her.
          Hi Linda,

A lot of people are under that impression - OR they think the care is inferior because there is no charge to the family.

NOTHING could be further from the truth. Dr. Betz and his team are leaders in the field and currently are doing ALL the latest procedures - from the VEPTR II to VBS (stapling) to serial casting, etc.

The care your friend's child will receive there is as good or BETTER than anything someone could pay for.

That's why we continue going there even though we happen to have very good insurance. It's worth the slight inconvenience of travel to Philly to know that David's care is entrusted to such excellent doctors who BTW are all extremely caring and compassionate too!

I'm happy to speak with your friend (by email or phone) - there are also dozens of parents who'd be willing to tell her as well about the care their kids receive at Shriners in Philly.

Best of luck!
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Dr. Dryer

I had seen Dr. Dryer at NYU in 2004. He was my first scoli doctor that i had seen. I had been recommended by someone that worked with him and the person hghly recommended Dr. Dryer. I thought he was one of the best doctors i had seen. He was really caring, explained eveything in great detail, and since this was my first surgeon who said i would need surgery i was a bit shocked to learn the news but he was really nice and made me feel comfortable. He was honest about my condition and i would also recommend him to your friend.

I had seen Dr. Lonner as well and thought he was just as nice. Dr. Dryer and Dr. Lonner are my top two choices!
            30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
            8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
            3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
            4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
            2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Dr. Dryer is my scoli doc. I think he's good as a scoli doc and a doc in general. (I've been through a ton of doc due to other issues)

So far I'm only being monitored...
              30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
              2005 - T50, L31
              bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
              2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
              Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I have forwarded all the information that you have given me to my friend to help her make her decision. Your comments and information are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Dr Dryer

I visited Dr Dryer twice. I am in the process of considering surgery with him. On both visits he sat down with me and my girlfriend and very patiently explained everything about the operation I was considering. All I can say is that I had a very good feeling about him and he performs many procedures a week. He comes highly recommended. Like your daughter, I too did try to see Dr. Lonner and also like her, he is not in my network. So many Doctors have such a bad bedside manner. That alone can discourage one. Dr Dryer was excellent.

Good luck,
                  Spinal Tap.

Comment

Working...
                  X