looking for pain meds that work!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for pain meds that work!!!

Hello, I'm very happy that i am on this site! I'v never talked to anyone with similar problems. I'm 30 years old and had the herrington rod (fusion) when i was 15. I've been doing pretty well for the last ten years with just ocasional lower back pain,until dec 04, I was in a car accident and have been in terrible pain every since. I have a broken rod in my lower back that has moved about 1/4 of an inch (my rod was broke previously due to lower fusion not taking). Anyways i've been seeing alot of doctors recently and finally am going to a pain clinic. I have tried percocet, morphine sulfate, darvocet, vicoden and numerouse muscle relaxers none seem to work. Ive always worked hard and have never been a complainer, but i just cant seem to get my doctor to understand what i'm going thru, I know i need surgery (new hardware) and the doctor keeps telling me to have it done. I dont like sitting at home every day, basically does anyone know of a miracle drug?

Hi Alaskan...

You might check out Duragesic (fentanyl) patches. They're expensive and I think some insurance companies won't cover them, but I've heard only great things about them.

If you know you're going to have to have surgery, I guess I'd encourage you to have it sooner rather than later. Long term use of narcotics can make recovery more difficult.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Alaskan, As I'm reading your post, I thought it was me writing it! I actually tried every medication you have mentioned. I, too, have a Harrington rod since 1981. In 1997 my back started to hurt again after being free of back pain since the surgery. I have since had two more surgeries but still suffered terribly. I was at pain management in NYC and was put on the Duragesic Patch, which my insurance did cover. I have heard great things about it but for me, it was awful. I was on it for four months and was up to 75 mg. patch which I would change every three days. I had horrible side effects, plus it really wasn't helping with the pain. The side effects were withdrawal symptoms, shivers, sweats, depression, extreme weight loss (that i could not afford), etc. I asked to be taken off but with that medication you have to be taken off slowly. To make a long story short, I was rushed to a nearby hospital as I was feeling terrible and thank God I did as the patch gave me a blood clot on my lung. Since then, I was weened off, the clot disolved and now I am at a different pain management hospital with fabulous results. I am on methadone, a very, very mild dose (20 mg./day) and also on Celebrex. It literally has changed my life. I initially was extremely fearful taking it as I had just come off of the patch, but I felt very comfortable with my new doctor and he promised he would monitor me closely, and he did. I actually saw him this morning, as I go for a visit every four months, which is madatory with this type of prescription. It's been over two years now that I'm on this combination of medicine, and I truly have a new life. Ask your pain management doctor about methadone. I realize everyone is different and perhaps the Duragesic Patch could very well work for you so I don't want to discourage you. I just thought that being I didn't see you had tried the meds I'm on that that could also be another option. I hope you find a solution to your pain. All the best. Lynn
      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
      2000 Partial Rod Removal
      2001 Right Scapular Resection
      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
      X