Work and Doctors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work and Doctors

wow, I was called into the office at work today, and told I can no longer take of work to go to the Dr.
    I only miss 2 hours off work one day a month.
    Is this even legal?

I'm very upset with this, as I work through at least 1/2 my paid lunch break every single day.

I don't know if it's legal or not, but it sure doesn't sound ethical. I'm sorry you work for such jerks. Are you a full time employee with benefits, including time off?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

This is disgraceful. I am guessing you live in the US (only because most do). If you work in the public sector or for a major private corporation, you should be entitled to sick leave. As a casual, you would not necessarily have that luxury. However, you may wish to contact Labour Relations or Consumer Affairs or somesuch organisation in your state/country. I live in Australia and there would be places I could go to to complain.

I agree with Debbei. It may be legal, but it certainly is downright cruel and lacking in compassion if they have taken that stance. Perhaps you can negotiate something with them. Maybe point out how you work through your lunch breaks and perhaps if you work back a little every day, to try and accrue enough time (i.e., 7 hours/1 day) to cover a day off work, maybe they will agree to this. This would be similar to a TOIL (time off in lieu) system.

I wish you all the best.

Lisa
      Mum to Tahlia, aged 15. Fused from T2 - L3, 18/11/08.

Comment

that depends on the size of the company, your employee statues (pt, ft, temp ect)

Basically, the only way to have FMLA which you could use for dr's appts and such are if your company hires 50 or more employees, you've been with them for at least 12 months, with at least 1250 work hours, otherwise it's voluntary on the employer's part letting people take time off for medical reasons.

Do you work 9 to 5? I'm guessing you are since you have had to take off to goto the appts... that really is stinky that they told you that

I usually use my PTO time or come in early/leave late to make up for the time I'm gone.
        30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
        2005 - T50, L31
        bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
        2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
        Post - op curve ~35

Comment

thanks for the support, I'm actually on an 8-5 schedule.
          FT, salary no sick days or vacation time.

The company is less then 15 employees and state laws mirror federal anti-discrimination laws. so no luck there.

I will go in and have a sit down with my boss. I was so taken back i didn't know how to respond.

I think a fellow employee is complaining about a little extra work...

Comment

Working...
          X