TitaniumEd & I Meet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TitaniumEd & I Meet!

My hubby Mark and I had Ed over for a backyard BBQ last Saturday. He regaled us with stories of his incredible scoli surgery, as well as other entertaining tales of his various travels and adventures. A good time was had by all! During the course of our conversation I discovered Ed had never read Dr Wolpert's book and was quite surprised. He asked if he could borrow mine and we got a bit silly and took the attached picture. Scoliosis is, of course, no laughing matter, but a little comic relief occasionally can help lift one's spirits up and away from all the gloomy seriousness. Thanks for being a good sport, ED!!
    Sharon
    Singing the Blues
    Female 1951
    A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
    Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Thanks Sharon! Laughter is definitely the best medicine. Great photo. You two could make your own little youtube clip?!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

As a teacher I'm apalled that Ed didn't do his homework. Great pic. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Yikes! And now I'm appalled since I just spelled appalled wrong! Bad, bad teacher.
        Janet

Comment

I LOVE IT. I LOVE IT

WE NEED MORE MUCH MUCH MORE!!!
          hehehehe

I used to participate on a mental health forum and one of my last threads was "Good things about Depression".
          Got a...mixed response. There's always something, I say. Hey, in the Concentration Camps there were jokes. We should be able to come up with more. (I know, I know, I'm not doing my share...)

Just looked up a few of those old ones. Man, people were so squeamish!

Q What's good about depression?
          A You always have your funeral planned in advance,

Q What's good about Treatment Resistent Depression?
          A You qualify for all the Clinical Trials!

Q What's an advantage to Major Depression?
          A You never have to make your bed, since you're always in it.

And some great ones from Woody Allen before he became an incestuous pedophile and started writing - ugh - serious drama. (Now that IS depressing)

" More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly".

"On the plus side, death is one of the few things that can be done just as easily lying down".

"Most of the time I don't have much fun. The rest of the time I don't have any fun at all".

wi/ all that, surely, we can riff about scoliosis. You don't have to have scoliosis to be twisted! If minorities can take off on themselves we should have a lot of "sick" ones, as my son the DJ would say.
          Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
          Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
          main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
          Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

hey Janet
            from one (former)special ed teacher, (ed evaluator, and social worker)... to another ...teachers and other staff are ON VACATION now...dont worry about spelling til' September!! unless you're working summer school..then you might want to use spell check

jess

Comment

Having Fun with the Not So Funny

Yeah,
              Ed and I may have to take our show on the road, Jennifer!
              Well Doodles, even teachers have off days..;-)
              Amanda, you are too much! Every subject can set you off on a journey into the layers and nuances therein. What I would give to experience your brain for a day! I do agree Woody should have stuck with the "good" funny and not gone with the yucky funny.
              And now that we've "opened the door," does anyone out there have some funny stories to share about Dr Appts, hospital stays, etc.?
              BRING 'EM ON!
              Singing the Blues
              Female 1951
              A/P Surgery Oct 13th & 17th '05, from T7-L5, 46 degree curve reduced to 19 degrees. Rib hump almost gone, but I have flatback. Thought it was "normal" and I would improve over time. I developed kyphosis above the surgical area. Had surgery with Dr Menmuir in Reno, Nv on October 13, 2010.
              Today I am still plagued with flatback, and I'm considering ALIF surgery.

Comment

Great pic! Thanks for posting it!
                Glenda
                Age 66 Georgia (63 at time of surgery)
                Bi-lateral laminectomy 2006
                Kyphoscoliosis, approx 38* lumbar scoliosis, stenosis, disk herniations, lower back and hip pain, w/radiating pain, stinging and numbness in legs.
                A/P fusion (T10-S2) 5/17/10 and 5/20/10
                Dr Yoon, Emory Orthopaedic and Spine Hospital, Atlanta, GA
                Pleased with outcome

Comment

That is such a great picture

Comment

Hahahahaha....as a matter of fact, that was EXACTLY the look on my face as I read Wolpert's book!!

It's always a kick to see what our cute Forum members look like..!!!
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Thanks, Jess. Actually I did retire June 08 so I'm not required to spell correctly anymore! That gave me about 9 months to figure out surgery and prepare; the next year plus was all about recovery. Now I think I'm ready to party. Janet
                      Janet

Comment

Get Togethers

Speaking of getting together, LisaB and Confusedmom and I plan on meeting this week too and I am so looking forward to getting to meet in person the people I talk to all the time on the forum! Sharon, I'm so glad you and Ed got to meet!!! So cool :-)))
                        May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

hey Janet
                          so great to hear that you are ready to party! i retired in 2007 due to pain...i wish i could work part time or volunteer with kids or addicts.....or dogs, my other favorite group of people... pain is too much ...

but let's get together anyway! maybe if i see how well you can party now, after surgery, it'll help me decide..after all, i need surgery to pelvis as well!

meet me in CA week of September 14..? drinks are on me!

jess

Comment

It would be fun to have a scoli reunion, of sorts, somewhere centrally located. Well, as long as people can put their differences aside or stay home, that is. Somewhere beautiful and relaxing, where we can finally all meet each other.
                            Be happy!
                            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

I never read David Wolpert's book since it came out too late, and during those times, I was very busy. I did read many of the old books from years ago....and had many years of thought since 1975. I chose to wait for technology to catch up, and it did, then pain made my decision. My alarm clock was ringing in 2007, and ringing loud.

It’s the orthopedic books I'm interested in. They are pretty pricy....I'm experiencing extreme frugalness in my old age, its probably a complication of scoliosis surgery they don’t know about yet.

I would love to have a copy of Dr Moe's "textbook of scoliosis and other spinal deformities". That would REALLY make me happy...

Anyway Sharon, I'm glad that you are happy with Dr M. At first, I didn’t think that you were in all that much pain, then at the end of the evening, I realized that you are a pro at hiding it. We get pretty good at it, you know? So good that sometimes we don’t realize how much pain we are really in. Scoliosis does this to us after many years.....

I will attend the scoli conference at USCF this Saturday. It seems that it would be logical to have a reunion, when next years meeting happens.....That way, people can learn about scoliosis from some of the most qualified people available in one of the best cities in the world. And if you come, you would have to stay and see the many sights in the area. Boredom in San Francisco, truly is an impossibility. If your hurting, there are many non surgical alternatives....And besides, Hawaii is only 4.5 hrs away! LOL Just look at the Alaska airlines deals right now on their website!

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X