Providence brace for S-Scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence brace for S-Scoliosis?

Is the Providence night brace effective for S-Scoliosis?

The portion of my son's curve that is in his Cervical region is just 7 degrees but it's apex is listed at "C1 through C7." In other words the top of his spine. Is the Providence effective that high up? Since it's S shaped will the top compensatory curve get under control if his primary curve in the middle is braced?

From my son's diagnosis
    FINDINGS: An AP standing view of the spine was performed. There is S-shaped scoliosis. 12 degrees of dextroscoliosis of the thoracolumbar spine with the apex at T9-10. 7 degrees of compensatory levoscoliosis of the cervical/thoracic spine, apex at C1-7. 8 degress of levoscoliosis of the lumbar spine, apex at L1-2. The height of the cervical, thoracic and lumber vertebral bodies is maintained in the AP projection. No structural abnormalities identified.

He is not in a brace yet but if it progresses my wife and I would like to try night bracing. Thanks for any brace advice.

We are considering the Providence for our daughters scoliosis as we are abandoning the Spinecor.
    As I understand it, the Charleston Night brace tended to amplify the compensatory curves. The providence was designed to reduce/eliminate this and hence be more appropriate for addressing curves with additional components at the top and bottom of the spine. The most success with the Providence is reported to be with lumbar curves (of course, these curves are the least likely to progress anyway)

The two main papers on the providence are listed in a thread, I believe, in the research forum. If you would like copies PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by concerned dad View Post
      We are considering the Providence for our daughters scoliosis as we are abandoning the Spinecor.
      As I understand it, the Charleston Night brace tended to amplify the compensatory curves. The providence was designed to reduce/eliminate this and hence be more appropriate for addressing curves with additional components at the top and bottom of the spine. The most success with the Providence is reported to be with lumbar curves (of course, these curves are the least likely to progress anyway)
      This makes sense to me. I agree. I don't see have the Charleston can hope to address an S curve. I barely see how it can hope to address a T curve.

Good point on "success" of the Charleston with the L curve. This literature needs help.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
      X