'Pre-Op'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Pre-Op'

Hey guys, I have another pretty dumb question please, if you don't mind; What 'exactly' goes on during/at the 'pre-op' interview? I have two interviews on Monday (one with the surgeon for a 'briefing', and the other for 'pre-admission' testing), and I'm a little unsure of what to expect... especially with the pre-admission testing... If anyone could help me out, it'd be greatly appreciated... thanks.
    27 Years Old
    Pre Surgery: 76 and 68 degrees
    Post Surgery: 15 degrees
    www.bentoutofshape.blogspot.com

Hi Monie,

I had a chest xray, bending x-rays, circulation of legs test, blood work and then spoke with a Nurse Practicitioner. They ask many questions concerning any previous surgeries, allergies, medical history and medications. They ask questions about any glass eyes, false teeth, hearing aids etc. Then they went through a long list of complications that could occur with the surgery(don't let that scare you...almost the same list is read through if you are having your tonsils removed). Then you sign some consent forms. In my case, it took almost all day. Sent to xrays...wait your turn. On to lab to get blood work...wait your turn and so on. Quite a boring and uneventful day.

Best wishes to you!

Kindest Regards,
    Gail

Comment

With mine, it was pretty much blood tests, an EKG, and a detailed medical history. I had xrays done the time before when I had seen my surgeon... Didn't take much more than an hour, and my surgeon sent me to my GP to have it done...
      Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
      Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
      Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
      Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
      February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
      September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Hey guys... thank you so much for replying me. I have no clue why I'm stressing so bad. I just am; everything's a big deal all of a sudden. *sigh*... I hope I don't have to take any more X-rays... I hate those things... Do they take a lot of blood? I know that in my case, they need my blood to match it to donor blood from the blood bank... what else do you think they'll be taking the blood for, though? My mom says probably to test if I'm 'healthy' enough for the surgery... how exactly do they determine this? I mean, do people ever get disqualified? *sigh*... Also guys, did anyone lose sleep before the surgery? I find that it's getting increasingly difficult to sleep through the night... I wake up, and find myself staring in the dark for hours.... Do you know if I'll be allowed to take something to help me sleep the night before the surgery? Is it normal to feel this way? Geez!...
        First of all, I'd like to apologize for asking so many questions... I don't know who else to ask... thank you.
        27 Years Old

Comment

They did blood tests to check for anemia and just to make sure I was in generally good health. I think they took two vials of blood (one poke, they just changed the vials.).

If you are ill, there's a chance of having to postpone the surgery. I got through ok with a little bit of a cough/sniffle that I concealed the day of my op.

Preop jitters are normal. I didn't sleep well before mine.

I would phone your surgeon's office on the use of sleeping pills... some meds you aren't allowed to use prior to your op because they may interact with anhisthesia or post op pain meds or increase your bleeding. So... definitely call to check before you use them.
          Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
          Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
          Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
          Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
          February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
          September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Thanks again guys... I was wondering if anyone here knows exactly how long it takes for iron to go through the system? I know that I sound pretty irresponsible right now, but I've been stocking up on iron lately... I'm taking iron pills, eating iron rich foods, and trying to eat at least 3 hearty meals a day... do you think that I should be fine, come Monday? I'd hate for them to postpone this just because I'm anemic...
            27 Years Old

Comment

It takes about two weeks for the pills to kick in as far as affecting iron levels but you will probably be fine for surgery since you're eating well.

I hope you're getting some sleep aid and that you can relax before, I know how it feels

You'll be fine, and take care of yourself afterwards,
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I'm glad you asked those questions. I am getting closer to my surgery date and the questions asked are the same ones I am asking myself. Thanks to all of you who are answering the questions. Linda

Comment

Ok guys, so I went for my pre-op appt, yesterday... It wasnt' bad at all... much better than I had expected... so as of today, three more days guys... *sigh*... I'm sooo terrified! ...

27 Years Old

Comment

Working...
                  X