Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many kids in your school have Scoliosis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many kids in your school have Scoliosis?

This is just a curious question I have. How many kids in your school or grade have Scoliosis that you know of?

My daughter, Jamie, is in eighth grade and is having surgery on Tuesday. A young man in her grade just returned from having surgery. Another young lady has been wearing a brace for years. And there are atleast two other girls that we know of that have some degree of Scoliosis.

We know that there are a lot of people who have mild Scoliosis and never need treatment. I'm assuming that is the case with the two girls.

I just find it amazing to me that out of about 200-225 kids in her grade, there are two of them who are candiates for surgery!

Is this a lot? Just curious.

Mary Lou

In my first high school I was in a class of 140 and there was one girl in my year who had fusion surgery the year after I did.

The second high school I went to, there was no one with noticeable scoli (either a brace or had had surgery) in my year, when i was in Year 12, there was a girl in Year 9 who wore a brace, and a girl in Year 10 who had fusion surgery.

I think its always helpful having someone who's had the fusion surgery before you in your school, as the school knows what to expect. Before the Year 10 girl came back I spent quite a lot of time talking to her form room (home room) teacher, giving him advice on what to expect when she came back. And what kind of stuff he needed to put in place and tell her teachers.

Two kids out of 220-225 I wouldn't see as a lot. But in Australia a Year of that much is considered a "large" Year. I think it really depends on where youre school is in relation to stuff and often its simply chance.

The girl who had the fusion surgery after me (was about 6 weeks earlier that I had mine, she had hers after the holidays, I had mine just before, detested me to the umpteempth. She had a short fusion (4 vertebrae) and had never wore a brace beforehand. Unlike me who is determined to do everything and not "milk" the situation, she milked the situation to the absolute maximum. would not carry even a pencil, pen and notebook to class. And had half days at school for almost 6 months afterwards. She and i had the same teacher for a subject, she tried to tell the teacher she couldn't bring a book to class (we both had permission to go to our lockers after each class to get a textbook etc if they weren't in the classroom) and the teacher stared at her and said "If Alison can do it, you can do it",, go teacher was all I could think about when I learnt of this.

Best wishes to Jamie for her surgery, may both of you have much strength in such a difficult time both before, during and after surgery

Alison
    Last edited by Alison; 12-04-2004, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Hi there,

In South Wales (UK) in the '80s, I was the only student in a school of 1400 to wear the Milwaukee brace. Nobody knew what was going on! BUT, at the hospital they kept telling me that South Wales girls had the highest incidence of scoliosis in the UK. I wonder if there are any statistics for the US?? Your daughter's school seems to have a lot to me!

~Laura
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

Alison and Laura...

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if there are any stastics in the US or not. It just seemed like a lot of kids--all in the same grade and all 13 or 14 years old. I'm sure if I checked into all three grades at her school, approximately 600+ kids, I would find more kids with Scoliosis with varying degrees. Also, I've never checked into facts at the High School level which has probably 800+ kids.

Mary Lou

Comment

i have 3 of my friends that have scoliosis but none of them wear a brace.
          ˘ľ aura ˘ľ

Comment

I am in seventh grade and a friend I ahev had fusion surgery when we were in 5th grade. Little did I know beforehand that that was the surgery she was ahving. On the day of her surgery I was like where is she and her best friend says oh she is having back surgery today. I figured out after. There is a boy in my class that has very very mild scoliosis and I got very mad when he complained how it was like that and how bad it was. I explained he didn't have it bad at all. I have about 200 or 300 students in my school. If I were to check there might be more. I am not sure if that is considerd a lot.
            ~*Lauren*~
            Braced for 5 months
            Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
            Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
            Surgery on April 26th 2005
            Fused from T3-L4
            Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

Although I was born on a small island, there were just about 600 kids in our high school. As far as I know, there were only 2 people who had Scoliosis in our school (me and another girl). We were both in the same grade, except she put off getting her surgery, and tried the brace for many years. She finally got the surgery in Grade 12, and broke her rods a year later, while on a school exchange in Mexico. As far as I know she had to drop out of university.
              Jill

Diagnosed in 1998
              55 Degree S Curve
              Idiopathic Scoliosis surgery in 2000 in Vancouver, BC
              Performed by Dr. Stephen Tredwell

Comment

Jill

Just curious, why did this girl have to drop out of university when her rods broke? I have heard of rods breaking in quite a few cases, but if fusion is complete, they usually just go and take out as much of the broken rod as possible, and the patient returns to her/his normal life within a couple of weeks of rod removal.

Comment

like 900 Or 800
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

Hey

In my grade I know a lot of people
                    2 of us have braces
                    one of my best buds has rotation
                    one kid i now has 20*
                    but about the rest i dont know
                    i bet alot of people have scoliosis but they dont say anything about it because its minor or stuff like that.
                    Mák Veronika
                    14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
                    40T
                    54L
                    +rotation
                    Boston Brace since December 2005
                    Location in Florida

I play flute.
                    I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

I really don't know how many kids have scoliosis at the college I go to and in the elementary, middle, and high schools I went to, I believe I was the only one with scoliosis, aside from this one kid in high school who I only saw once or twice, so I consider myself being the only one with scoliosis at the schools I went to during my childhood.

Comment

Do you guys realize this thread is almost 2 years old? No need to bring up old threads.

scoliocolorado,

By your own admission, you weren't the only one at your school with Scoliosis, so why consider yourself the only one?
                        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

i know of one girl who is my friend and my other friend has it in her neck and her whole family has it!!!! those r 2 that i know of but im sure theres more!!!

Comment

my school has approx. 1,000 kids. me and this other girl wore a brace UNTIL YESTERDAY.

she only has 2 wear a boston brace 8 hours and im stuck with about 20. =[

so im probaly the only one who will need surgery probaly. =///

IM SO ALONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
                            i have scoliosis. third boston brace. (:

Comment

I'm not in primary education anymore, but when I was, I wasthe only person with scoliosis, as far as I knew, until I was told about this one kid who had scoliosis. He would be so depressed that he would quit coming to school. He was in severe denial. I only saw the guy one or two times after the time that I talked to him.

Comment

Working...
                              X