Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scar tissue sciatica

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had scar tissue on or around the sciatic nerve causing sciatic pain? I know everyone has scar tissue after the surgery, but on the nerves is another issue altogether! I am 5-6 months post op and have been struggling (understatement) with crippling sciatic pain for 3 months apparently from scar tissue. It seems that I am pretty much alone with this particular condition as far as finding someone here that has experienced the same cause-scar tissue. There are several that have had sciatic pain but from scar tissue? If there is someone, was there any hope of the condition ever improving?

Thanks,
    Pam
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Hi Pam...

Although it's not common, I think I've seen it mentioned here in the forums previously. I've also seen it mentioned at work. What is Dr. Lenke recommending?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Scar Tissue

Hi Pam...Have been praying for you. Did you have this sciatica pain before surgery? Is Dr. Lenke saying this is the problem and what can be done? There has to be help for you. I know you probably cannot do water therapy now, but please ask Dr. Lenke about it. I know water can help a myriad of problems.
      Patty
      1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
      1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
      Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
      December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Pam,

I hope you get some answers here. Did Kelly say they think it's scar tissue?

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Linda - Was there any resolution in these scar tissue cases that you've seen? If so, how was it addressed?
          I'm trying to get referred for adhesiolysis in Paducah, KY., while continuing with my physical therapy to try to loosen the adhesion.

Dr. Lenke's office has recommended injections, which haven't helped much, and also physical therapy.

Evelyn-the fluoroscopy revealed some scar tissue in the area causing the meds in the injections to be unable to reach the appropriate location.

Patty-I never had sciatic pain prior to surgery. I tried walking in the pool during the summer, but anything is difficult with this crippling pain. Thank you for the prayers.

Pam
          Last edited by TwinmomTN; 10-01-2012, 09:22 AM.
          Pam, age 49
          T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Pam,
            What is adhesiolysis? Is that where they try to remove the adhesions? I have had PTs do that (pre-op) with some weird tool that felt like a rake on my back. I'm sure you will have to have something much more precise to avoid damage to the nerve. Has Dr. Lenke or Kelly mentioned anything about surgically removing it?

Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Pam...is this what you were referring to...?

Severing of adhesive band(s); done by laparoscopy or laparotomy.

i read on internet that it is used after adhesion due to
              "abdominal surgery..."

did you have any anterior approach used in your fusion surgery....?
              perhaps i am not reading the right info...

i hope you find an answer to take away the pain...

jess

Comment

Evelyn- if surgically removed scar tissue will just regrow often worse than what was originally there to begin with. So, what were they trying to accomplish using that tool on your back ?

Jess- yes, I believe that is the procedure I am referring to.
                Last edited by TwinmomTN; 10-02-2012, 06:08 AM.
                Pam, age 49
                T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Working...
                X