bracing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bracing.

I'm starting to get irritated with my TLS brace. It keeps moving up on me and rubbing up against the under arms and becoming raw My PT recommended getting some mold skin and putting it on the under arm part. The brace guy I saw at Mass General told me I should be wearing two shirts one underneath and and another over that. I am sweating with just the underneath shirt and this brace..lol I am complaining already and I have 6 more weeks before they will start reducing it. Right now I can just take it off to take a shower which is heaven!! =)

On better note, I have been reducing my pain meds. I am down to one dilaudid every 8 hrs instead of 2 every 3hrs. but I am still taking my valium 2x a day without that I dont think I could sleep..PT has been working with me, Instead of the walker I have been walking with one crutch. I find it a lot easier and I can't stand walking with the walker, not bad for being 3wks post op this thursday =).

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Hi Megz
    Braces can be so irritating and HOT!!! Also having the right size t-shirt under is critical due to the folds. Eventually, the raw areas around the armpits will toughen up. Braces are an acquired taste....you get used to them.

I wore my post surgical brace for quite some time. The Docs like them for "fall protection" since we are delicate right after our surgeries.

I used ski poles for outside walking and fido defense. We have an abundance of loose friendly dogs out here, most being jumpers.

Sounds like you are doing good. Its gets better in time.
    Remember, no falls.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Meg...

If the brace is irritating in specific spots, that can be fixed by the orthotist. I would recommend that you either contact them directly, or have your surgeon's office contact them. Are you wearing the brace while in bed? If so, that's pretty unusual. It seems that most surgeons have moved away from using braces at all. The ones that are still using them seem to be using them for a shorter amount of time (3 months vs. 6 months). I would never encourage anyone to go against the instructions of their surgeon, but you might at least try to discuss the possibility of wearing the brace less.

Also, have you checked with your surgeon about using a crutch? Crutches are bad, in general, for one's back, and I'd be really worried about using one even more than using two. It seems to me that a cane would be a safer option.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Megz,

I hated my brace, almost as bad as I hated the one I wore as a teen-ager!!!

I only wore 1 t-shirt under it and I would be soaked in 5 hrs. When I first got home and would sit in it, it would cut into my thighs and dig into my underarms.

I was miserable. It seemed like I had my husband trimming it some place almost every other day. Once I got if short enough in those areas, it was smashing my boobs. So he cut out my boobs. Wasn't a big hit with brace guy when I had my next Dr. visit.

Then I started dropping weight, then it was too big around me. I'm really not sure if it was just a mental thing with me and my turtle shell, or a actual problem.

Should have gotten it trimmed before I left the hospital!!!

Shari

Comment

Wow Megz, you are doing so well! After such a big correction too! And so soon!

I can't help with the brace as I did not have one but Shari's suggestion sounds hilarious! I nearly lost my coffee reading that and picturing her in her boobless brace!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by Shari View Post
            Hi Megz,

I hated my brace, almost as bad as I hated the one I wore as a teen-ager!!!

I only wore 1 t-shirt under it and I would be soaked in 5 hrs. When I first got home and would sit in it, it would cut into my thighs and dig into my underarms.

I was miserable. It seemed like I had my husband trimming it some place almost every other day. Once I got if short enough in those areas, it was smashing my boobs. So he cut out my boobs. Wasn't a big hit with brace guy when I had my next Dr. visit.

Then I started dropping weight, then it was too big around me. I'm really not sure if it was just a mental thing with me and my turtle shell, or a actual problem.

Should have gotten it trimmed before I left the hospital!!!

Shari

Shari,

I just had it trimmed on Friday when I went to get my staples removed..Learned from the brace guy that I had been wearing it wrong the whole time, because no one showed me at the hospital how to put it on. The nurse just slapped it on one night and thats how we put it on ever since. My incisions are starting to itch sooo bad its starting to drive me nuts lol.. My biggest problem with the brace is that it doesn't stay in one spot its always sliding up. No matter how tight the straps are..when I saw the guy friday he had the straps so tight I honestly thought I was going to pass out..When we go out of his office I had to undo them a little because it was awful! Its funny how much you sweat in this thing. And he told me ideally you are supposed to wear two shirts..I was thinking my head I'll sweat to death. I am glad to learn that I am not the only one that hates this thing. The Dr's nurse told me in 6 wks they will begin the cut down how long I will wear this..Oh and believe me I am counting down those weeeks!! HA!! =)

27 year old female
            Upper Curve 110 degrees
            Lower Curve 90 degrees
            Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              Wow Megz, you are doing so well! After such a big correction too! And so soon!

I can't help with the brace as I did not have one but Shari's suggestion sounds hilarious! I nearly lost my coffee reading that and picturing her in her boobless brace!
              Thanks jen,

Its kinda funny how the brace is shaped like almost a corset for your boobs..The brace man was like "ummm could you tuck your breast inside the brace for me" I looked at him and was like really hahaha I am like an A I seriously have nothing, maybe thats my probably I need boobs to hold this thing up!

27 year old female
              Upper Curve 110 degrees
              Lower Curve 90 degrees
              Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Hi Meg...

If the brace is irritating in specific spots, that can be fixed by the orthotist. I would recommend that you either contact them directly, or have your surgeon's office contact them. Are you wearing the brace while in bed? If so, that's pretty unusual. It seems that most surgeons have moved away from using braces at all. The ones that are still using them seem to be using them for a shorter amount of time (3 months vs. 6 months). I would never encourage anyone to go against the instructions of their surgeon, but you might at least try to discuss the possibility of wearing the brace less.

Also, have you checked with your surgeon about using a crutch? Crutches are bad, in general, for one's back, and I'd be really worried about using one even more than using two. It seems to me that a cane would be a safer option.

--Linda
                I saw the brace guy right after I had my staples removed but all he really did was take a little off the sides and change a couple straps. He was kinda rude telling me that these aren't meant to be comfortable. And when I mentioned the whole underarm he told me I was supposed to wear two shirts..like I've told everyone else I'm dying in just one shirt I don't think I will be able to do two shirts!. Right now the Dr wants me in the brace 23 hrs of the day leaving an hour I think for like showering and stuff..When I go back for my six week appointment they will decrease it..maybe I wont have to wear it to bed or something...My PT just started having me walk with one crutch. She has it down really low and has me hold it down near my ribs. I was thinking of getting a cane..hahah I would love to get a pimped out cane =) gotta be in style yah know

27 year old female
                Upper Curve 110 degrees
                Lower Curve 90 degrees
                Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Hi Megz
                  Braces can be so irritating and HOT!!! Also having the right size t-shirt under is critical due to the folds. Eventually, the raw areas around the armpits will toughen up. Braces are an acquired taste....you get used to them.

I wore my post surgical brace for quite some time. The Docs like them for "fall protection" since we are delicate right after our surgeries.

I used ski poles for outside walking and fido defense. We have an abundance of loose friendly dogs out here, most being jumpers.

Sounds like you are doing good. Its gets better in time.
                  Remember, no falls.
                  Ed
                  OMG yess they are extremely hot!! I am so glad its still winter because I think I would be miserable if it was summer and I was wearing this contraption!. What sort of tshirt do you recommend? How long were you in your brace for?!
                  did you fall at all during your recovery? My uncle has hiking poles that he uses when he hikes through the woods and stuff..I think I wanna look for a pimped out cane=) like i said I wanna be still in style I feel sooo much better than I had last week. I just notice I feel the best in the morning/afternoon but when night comes ughh its awful..Its when I am at my worst. Is this normal for everyone?? How long do you think it took you to get back to your normal self again?! awhile?!

hope you doing well ed, take care
                  meg

27 year old female
                  Upper Curve 110 degrees
                  Lower Curve 90 degrees
                  Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

I get to take my brace off Feb.22 yessssssss.It has been 6 long months.I wear two thin ts but my brace hurts my hip bones, never broke the skin, I just have what looks like a bruise.That's funny I call my brace my turtle shell too....and they made mine when I was swollen so makes me look a little pregnant LOL....
                    Aug.17,09 Anterior
                    Aug.20,09 Posterior
                    Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                    Cedars-Sinai
                    Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                    Husband married 30 years
                    3 kids 29,28,25
                    4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

Hi Meg,

It sounds like you are doing really well. I like your sense of humor. Go get that cane girl! I think it is very normal for you to feel worse later in the day. Your muscles will tire easily for awhile, but it will get better. Feeling normal is really going to be different for everyone. At my age nothing feels normal, but I'm sure normal will come to you eventually. I think you are doing great.

Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Megz,

I am almost positive they put us in the Turtle Shell for when we're on our back, we can't get up, it gives us something else to bitch about, and when get it off, we'll shut up!!!

Just wasn't happening like that for me,
                        Shari

Comment

Working...
                        X