almost year check-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• almost year check-up

I made the (grueling) trip up to Boston last week to see Dr. Rand. I will be one year on February 10th but the date is close enough. Anyway, things look good and I don't have to see him for a year. (Yeah!!) There is some possibility that I am beginning to tilt on top of the fusion but we don't know yet. I told Dr. Rand that I cannot have any surgeries for at least 2 years so that I can finish my program. This is the first January in 3 years that i haven't needed surgery and I like it.
    That's all for me for now. I can't believe how quickly a year goes by.
    Avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

YEAH Avis, Congratulations!! I can't believe a year has gone by.

Have you lost any of that 'bowling ball' feeling?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congratulations on getting to the almost year mark ! Sounds like you are doing very well.

I'm interested in your possible tilt above the fusion. Are you doing any stretches or exercises? I'm only at 6 months but I have noticed that I have been very tight above the fusion. My shoulders want to round and my jaw wants to jut forward. I spoke with the doctor about that and he recommended stretching and exercises. I've been doing that and have seen a little improvement but it's still not back to a normal feel.

Sheri
      At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
      Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
      Excellent correction

Comment

Hi Avis,

Good for you Avis. I'm glad you are fused and hope you never have to have any more back surgeries. Are you pretty much out of pain by now? I hope school is going well for you.

Take care, Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Ditto Sally's post.

When you say tilt, do you mean tilt forwards or sideways? So is it a wait and see situation? How are you feeling in yourself, Avis? Would you say 100%?
          Sorry for all the questions!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It is a forward tilt that we are concerned with. The bowling ball has moved down to towards t10 or so and is in general not as bad. The exception being the days that I am in school and at my practicum site. It means about 12 hours sitting between driving and sitting in school and at the site. At the end of a 12 hour day I fall out of my car and can't move. Normal days are not like that but unfortunately i am doing 2 days like that in a row (it was 3 but I changed it).
            It's hard to believe that a year has gone by. Valentine's day last year I was in the Baptist and I went to the Coolidge House (my favorite place) the next day. I still have pictures on my phone of my first meal at the Coolidge if you want to see them (Sally!!).
            Not a 100% but so much better. I could not have done what I am doing last year. I was exhausted and in too much pain.
            avis
            1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
            2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
            2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
            Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

just a question...is the bowling ball a knot?... like from bunched up muscles?
              i used to get "bowling ball" knots in my thoracic area...but now we treat them with botox shots...& it really helps...freezes the area so the muscles cant bunch...
              but maybe you mean something else with that term...?

jess

Comment

Avis--I'm so glad this is better for you this time around. Sheri and Jennifer asked some of my same ?'s. Mine starts at T2 but my neck and head juts out shoulders seem to round more than they did before. That and a shoulder problem and some other things prompted me to make an appt. with my pt even though I'd been discharged.

Sheri--What sort of stretching exercises did they have for you? I have a ton--maybe I should go back to my basic ones and not so much gym stuff. Thanks. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Congratulations Avis,

It's a great milestone, 1 year. I didn't even start to feel normal until almost 2 yrs post-op. It does keep getting better as time goes by. Although there is a difference between summer and winter, and wet and dry weather.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery!!!
                  Shari

Comment

Originally posted by Shari View Post
                    Congratulations Avis,

It's a great milestone, 1 year. I didn't even start to feel normal until almost 2 yrs post-op. It does keep getting better as time goes by. Although there is a difference between summer and winter, and wet and dry weather.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery!!!
                    Shari
                    I'd say amen to everything you said Shari. Winter wet and cold is the worst.

Avis, I would love to see your photos of the Coolidge House. Actually, I thought the food was good there, plus for me, it was a treat to try out some Jewish food that I never had before.

Sally
                    Last edited by loves to skate; 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM.
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

High Five, Avis!

High Five, Avis!

Congratulations on reaching your one-year anniversary! You have accomplished so much this first post-op year by returning to school, doing your practicum, etc. while recovering. You are putting in some very long days to reach your goals. I'm pretty certain I could not have accomplished half of what you have at the one-year mark. I hope your tilt corrects itself in time.

I'm back doing my Flipper routine in a warm (87 degree) salt pool in a local hotel that sells memberships to its pool and fitness area. They also have a 104 degree hot tub that is easy to get into! I'm not the only one using the pool for rehab and maintenance, I have a whole new group of friends who are doing the same thing for their achy knees, hips, shoulders, etc. It has made a world of difference for the stiffness I continue to experience both above my fusion and in the upper and mid back areas that continue to be uncomfortable. Plus, the atmosphere is pleasant with sky lights, potted plants, lounge chairs and tables and is unlike many traditional and more serious pool settings. If you can squeeze it into your busy schedule, it might be worth a try.

I was grateful it was summertime for my two stays at Coolidge House and fresh fruit was readily available because their menu selection was difficult for me to get excited over and the mere smell of food was upsetting to my stomach. Sally, maybe they had a different chef during your stay!

Avis, I hope you have no regrets about having your surgeries. Be good to yourself and try to plan some R&R time into your schedule because you have earned it.

Linda
                      Linda
                      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Hot Tubs

I would avoid hot tubs. They are breeding grounds for bacterial. My brother picked up a nasty infection in a hot tub at a fitness center. After my surgeon told me that infections are always a possiblility following this surgery, I would use caution and stay out of a hot tub.

Comment

Working...
                        X