When to tell your employer about the upcoming surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to tell your employer about the upcoming surgery

How far in advance would you guys recommend telling your employer that you are getting surgery? It is now February and I am having the surgery in June and I haven't mentioned anything to them yet. Should I tell them now, or is it better to just wait a few months before? Just wanted some opinions on this. Thanks!
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Jen, yeah...I've been wondering that same thing. Personally, I am going to wait until one month out then tell them. I will have my pre-op appt. this month 2/24, then when I get back from that (I'm going to St. Louis and I live in Cleve) I will tell them. My surgery is March 31. I don't want them to treat me differently if I tell them too early. That's just me though, and the environment in which I work.
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Kinda my thoughts exactly too. My work doesn't have a clue what all is going with me at all. They know I'm in a lot of pain and they know I have an upcoming appt in St. Louis in May, but they are not going to know about my surgery in July until after I get back from St. Louis in May.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Hi...

I think it depends on what you do for a living. If you'll need to train someone to fill in for you, it seems to me that you'll need a lot longer than 1 month lead time.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi have to agree with Linda R. I think if you have a job that requires you to replace yourself,you may need more time. Also if you plan on return to that job, you may want to make your employer aware of what's going on in your world.

I think out of respect, the more notice the better. Would you tell them 2 weeks in advance that you were taking a vacation.

I told my owner months prior to mine, I had to train someone to take over for me, and I was the manager, plus I had planned on going back 3 months post-op. Needless to say, things don't always work out the way you plan them.

Just my thoughts,
          Shari

Comment

Jen,
            it all depends on your situation. I was a contractor (and am again) prior to my surgery, so there was no reason for me to give my employer more than 2-3 weeks notice. You see, once I left, I had no job to go back to--I had to find a new one. If I were an employee, I'm sure that I would have given at least a month or maybe more than one month's notice.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

This thread is so timely for me, I just this week informed my employer of my upcoming surgery on March 18. Mainly because I need to get my FMLA form filled out at my pre-op appt and submitted, and then I want to call and get my short term disability claim started. Luckily my boss has been more than supportive. I also have some duties at work that I need to have someone learn prior to my absence.
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Yes, all situations are different. I'm in sales and no one will be trained to handle my accounts...they will just go to another salesperson while I am out. I am 100 percent commission and I won't get paid while out and I don't have short term disability. If I tell them now, too far in advance, they will withhold accounts from me now and treat me differently. I am going to do the FMLA....I didn't know that needed to be filled out at the pre-op??? I'm going for pre-op 2/24.
                Laura
                62 degrees
                49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Laura,my preop appt is the same day as yours :-) There is a section on my FMLA form, a big section for my doc to fill out, and I just thought I would take it in then to get it started. I have a business trip first week of March and want to get all the T's crossed and i's dotted because I know I will be gone. Gosh, I bet the time will fly for both of us and we will be in surgery before we know it. eesh......

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Kristy - When and where is your surgery taking place? And is this your second surgery? It looks like you had one in 2008?

Laura
                    Laura
                    62 degrees
                    49 yrs. young

Before and After pics

Comment

Laura, I would do the same thing if I would have been in your position.

Never thought of anything like that, and that would suck.

Shari

Comment

Laura, I am having a revision on 3/18 in Indianapolis. It will be here before I know it.

Comment

Working...
                        X