Bone Stimulator Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone Stimulator Machine

I had my surgery on December 9th. I received a package today from my surgeon"s office, it was a bone stimulator machine. I have my follow-up tomorrow with him, so I guess he will teach me how to use it. Has anybody used one of these before?

rich

Hi Rich,
    I used a bone stimulator for nine months, 4 hours a day. What brand of stimulator did you get? It is supposed to help with the lumbar fusion and I guess it worked for me because after nine months, my Doctor said I was fused. At two years post-op, I had a CT/Myelogram and was told my fusion was solid. It's a little embarrassing to wear it in public, but I figured if I could go through with such a difficult surgery, then I would follow my Doctors recommendations to the letter.
    Have fun wearing it, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally and I have the same doctor and I also wore the stimulator 4 hours a day for 9 months. I am closing in on my year anniversary and at my appointment last week Dr. Rand said I looked pretty fused (my words). It's the second time for me wearing the stimulator and I have fused each time. You get used to wearing it. It doesn't hurt or anything, it just sits there on your body.
      avis
      1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
      2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
      2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Rich,
        I am currently using one. Mine is called the "Spinal-Stim" by orthofix. I wear mine from 2 to 4 hours a day, I usually go for 4. I don't know if it has worked yet or not though. I had a non-unioned area which caused a broken rod, so after the second surgery my surgeon said he didn't want to take any chances
        25 years old
        double 70+ degree curves before surgery
        Anterior on 11/11/08
        Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
        nearly perfect correction
        fused t-10 to pelvis
        with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
        Broke left rod on 10/24/09
        Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
        Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
        Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

I wore mine while I was awake for six months. My surgeon said that after 30 years he finally believed the findings in the medical literature. He fixed my failed first fusion. LSH

Comment

Hi Rich,

I don't remember how long I wore my stimulator, but I know I wore mine 24hrs a day for a while, and my husbands would move the patches up and down my back every so many days.

I really never knew they were there. I just thought it couldn't hurt.

Shari

Comment

Originally posted by fierceliketiger View Post
              Rich,
              I am currently using one. Mine is called the "Spinal-Stim" by orthofix. I wear mine from 2 to 4 hours a day, I usually go for 4. I don't know if it has worked yet or not though. I had a non-unioned area which caused a broken rod, so after the second surgery my surgeon said he didn't want to take any chances
              Just curious how did you end up breaking not just one rod but two!?? Is this common??

27 year old female
              Upper Curve 110 degrees
              Lower Curve 90 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
              Fused T2-Pelvis
              Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Working...
              X