Clear All

• The Blind Suing the Blind

Pettibon suing Clear in at least two cases for patent infringement:

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuit.asp?id=52943

http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuit.asp?id=52943
    Last edited by Pooka1; 11-14-2010, 06:51 AM. Reason: update the links
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Appropriate thread title. This shows how complicated things get when profits begin to get in the way of treatments.

I was talking with a therapist in Texas that was starting her PhD and she wanted to do something based on our rotational work. I was going to help her in some unofficial way and just wanted to clear it with Dr. Asher and Burton (the two docs who funded our study). Both were enthusiastic about the work continuing and Dr. Burton responded with a quote from Jonas Salk (polio vaccine) in an interview with Edward R Murrow.

Edward R. Murrow: Who owns the patent on this vaccine?
    Jonas Salk: Well, the people, I would say. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?

Comment

Originally posted by skevimc View Post
      Appropriate thread title. This shows how complicated things get when profits begin to get in the way of treatments.

I was talking with a therapist in Texas that was starting her PhD and she wanted to do something based on our rotational work. I was going to help her in some unofficial way and just wanted to clear it with Dr. Asher and Burton (the two docs who funded our study). Both were enthusiastic about the work continuing and Dr. Burton responded with a quote from Jonas Salk (polio vaccine) in an interview with Edward R Murrow.

Edward R. Murrow: Who owns the patent on this vaccine?
      Jonas Salk: Well, the people, I would say. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?
      Well yes but I think Salk was probably referencing all the Federal research money that went into the effort. So the American people do actually own it because they paid for it.

That said, legitimate researchers like Asher, Burton, yourself, etc. tend to actually want to help folks and went through the education and training to do that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
        Well yes but I think Salk was probably referencing all the Federal research money that went into the effort. So the American people do actually own it because they paid for it.

That said, legitimate researchers like Asher, Burton, yourself, etc. tend to actually want to help folks and went through the education and training to do that.
        I hadn't thought about the funding part of the equation. However, I disagree that was Salk's meaning. He dedicated his life to good science and helping people. So talk of patents would be of little interest to him.

I appreciate that you trust my integrity. Especially in your role of resident skeptic . I do not take my career as a therapeutic scientist lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by skevimc View Post
          I appreciate that you trust my integrity. Especially in your role of resident skeptic . I do not take my career as a therapeutic scientist lightly.
          As a research scientist myself, I find skepticism helps me avoid false results.

Science itself works best by disproving false results. What is left standing hopefully is correct.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X