Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scoliosis/stenosis surgery

Hi Susan,

My name is Judy and I am scheduled to have scoliosis/stenosis surgery Nov. 12. I am trying to get info from people that have had the surgery (rods). I want to know what my life will be after. I am 59 and a cool grandma. I welcome info from everyone!

Thanks, Judy
    24/35/57 deg
    posterior surgery
    scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Judy,

What is the degree of your curve? What kind of surgery are you having/ (anterior, posterior, thoracoplasty)

Letty

Comment

Beginner

Letty,

Thanks for replying. I can't answer about the degree or other info. Thanks to this site, I am realizing what questions that I need to ask my doc besides my other list. I see a doc for second opinion next week. Then I will go back to my surgeon and ask all these questions.

When I know the info, I will send you a message which would help you answer.

Thanks, Judy
      24/35/57 deg
      posterior surgery
      scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Thanks, Judy.

Letty

Comment

Hi Letty,

I saw the surgeon for 2nd opinion which matched what my surgeon said. I found out my degrees are 24/57. When I see my surgeon next week (final visit!!!), I will find out how he will be doing the surgery.

In general, what can I expect in recovery after 2/3 weeks, 2 months. What problems stem from the surgery and what will be around forever?

3 weeks from this Friday is THE DAY. I am really doing this so I won't have to cook at the holidays (ha).

Judy
          24/35/57 deg
          posterior surgery
          scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Just like you, I will be eagerly waiting for responses from those who had surgery already. I am also a cool grandma although younger than you. Boy, do I love saying that by 2 years. See my post on conflicting opinions about surgery which was started by Irmb.

Letty

Comment

deciding on surgery

Letty,

That was good reading. That seems to be the most difficult decision of the whole picture - should I have it now. I have known for a long time that it was coming but to justify the timing has taken a lot of thought. At this point two surgeons have said now is a good time since some vertebrae are almost closed and my balance is poor. I feel 99% that I am doing a good thing. The other 1% is chicken and wants to whine a while longer.

Judy
              24/35/57 deg
              posterior surgery
              scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

stenosis surgery

What is stenosis surgery?
                I will be talking to my surgeon on Oct 22 about a date for my surgery . I am wondering what I will be able to do after surgery
                at about 5 months. I am a very fit 62 year old.
                Can I-
                1. Get down on all four and weed my garden?
                2. Can I use a shovel and pitchfork?
                3. Can I walk three miles?

Is this a realistic objective, or silly?
                Kathleen Hutchinson

Comment

Hi Kathleen

Boy, I wish I could answer your questions. They sound like my own. I am having trouble getting specific answers regarding what a person can/can't do. Of course, we are all different and will recovery differently. Soon you and I will know for better or worse. I am confident we are making the right choices. Have you actually decided to go with it or wait and see when you see your doc?

Stenosis many times goes along with scoliosis. Stenosis is the narrowing of the vertebrae around the nerves. I have two vertebrae that are almost closed. That was the determining factor of surgery. I also have severe arthritis in the area. I asked if that would still be there after surgery. He said arthritis is because of bones rubbing together. After surgery, you don't have that happening.

I got Valium (short term only) from my doc today to take until the day of my surgery. I have so much anxiety. When I talk with people, I am OK because my mind is off of it. As it gets closer it gets scary.
                  But it will be over and I can get on with my life. It will be a challenge. What feelings do you have on the surgery?

Have a good day!
                  Judy
                  24/35/57 deg
                  posterior surgery
                  scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Kathleen,

In answer to your questions: Can I get down on all four to weed the garden? I am 6 months post-op from A/P surgery and I went back to work full time at 5 months. I work in an elementary school library. I can get down on all four to shelve books. But weeding, that might be to much of a strain on your back. Staying in a bent over position for a period of time. The shovel and pitchfork might depend on how heavy they are. I am not suppose to lift anything over 10 pounds. Walking 3 miles should be fine. Of course that will be a slow process to get back to 3 miles. It also depends alot on what type of surgery you have done and how big. I am from T2 to the sacrum. I had 6 discs removed and a rib. I have 5 incision scars. One down the center of the back, one for the anterior surgery, one for the hip graft, one to have a plate put in for the fusion to the sacrum, and the chest tube incision. The recovery process is long and slow. Don't rush it, you can cause more problems if you do. Hope this helps you. Theresa
                    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                    Fused T2 to sacrum
                    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Kathleen,

You said that you cannot lift more than 10 lbs. Is that forever or will it change as you heal? What has been the progress of your scars healing? Do they itch? Does your back feel tight? Is it OK getting in and out of chairs, sleeping, driving?

Thanks,
                      Judy
                      24/35/57 deg
                      posterior surgery
                      scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Hi Judy,

Just thought I'd write a quick note to say good luck. I was just reading your post asking Theresa about lifting. I know restrictions can seem formidable, but I wanted to let you know that, as a 28-year-old, I am just at the end of one year of chronic back pain (hopefully about to improve)... and I could lift hardly anything most of the year. There are definitely ways to manage not lifting, it just (--"just"!) requires some thought and acceptance and planning... It's weird, I will probably end up having scoliosis surgery in a few years, and now the idea of not lifting things does not worry me very much at all. It's habit I suppose.

I guess I wanted to say that as a supportive and positive thing, in case it turns out you have some restrictions for a while post-surgery.

We'll surely be thinking of you in Nov! Take care~Laura
                        30y/o
                        Upper curve around 55
                        Lower curve around 35

Comment

Thanks Laura,

You made me feel better. Everybody here is such a great support. In the next 2 weeks and 5 days I will probably ask zillions of questions. Regarding lifting, the most hurtful thing that I have had is not being able to hold our youngest grandson. I could only do so by sitting which is still a blessing. Now he is 6 and taller than all his friends and therefore should lift me. My two older grandchildren (12,10) are as tall as me which they think is so cool. I can't wait until after surgery when I can walk up to them and say, who's taller?

Thanks again.
                          Judy
                          24/35/57 deg
                          posterior surgery
                          scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

Hi Kathleen...

We're all different, but as far as my own back, I'd say the answers to questions 1 and 2 would be yes, with some amount of pain for a day or two afterward, and probably not for at least 6-12 mos. post-op. The answer to question 3 is definitely a yes.

Many of us find that we don't have a lot of stamina in the first year post-op, but it gradually comes back.

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Judy,

Don't worry about asking questions. We wouldn't be here if we didn't want to help. The more questions you ask, the better you will feel. So ask away! The 10 pounds is for now. It has gone up from 5 pounds. As you get stronger they increase the weight. My scars are healing fine. I'm quite proud of them. Anybody wants to see them, I proudly show them off. The skin around them gets tight at times. I use extra dry skin lotion during the day and shea butter at night. The anterior incision is really the only one that still is tender, but it is getting better. I don't have any problems getting in and out of cars, or chairs, or sleeping. Again, for the first few months it was the anterior incision that gave me problems sleeping. I was uncomfortable laying on my sides. I started driving at 2 months post-op. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Theresa
                              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                              Fused T2 to sacrum
                              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Working...
                              X