2 year anniversery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 year anniversery

Two years ago on this date, was my day. A day I will never forget. A day that I waited 34 years for.
    I am so thankful that surgical developments through the years advanced, of course there are many people to thank.

I think that the people I have to thank the most are all the old scoliosis patients that suffered through the years. They paid dearly through their suffering. I thank them for triggering people like Dr Moe, and all the pioneers who developed all the technology used today. We are very fortunate today. I couldn’t imagine having large curves and living life with scoliosis 100 plus years ago.

Yes my surgeries were tough. I had no choice, I ran out of time. I had seen many Doctors through the years and I think back to the old non-scoli orthos. Poor guys sometimes didn’t know what to say, they couldn’t help, and I had one shake his head speechless for a few minutes while staring at my x-ray. Those were the old days.

I never thought that I would have come out as well as I did. Being pain free was something that I pretty much wrote off and I must say that being pain free actually takes a while to get used to!

This forum has helped substantially. Even though I was just a reader and didn’t post years ago, it was a valuable asset. After all the years, I never knew or met another scoli. Hard to believe but true. Its been great reading all the posts, and chatting with everyone here. Of course I have to thank Linda and Joe for making it happen.

Oh yeah, and my surgeons Dr Menmuir, Dr Halki, Dr Rembetski,and their teams.

I wish everyone great success
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Awh, Ed, Congratulations on your anniversary. I'm so happy for you that you are pain free and able to do those crazy things that you like to do (like skiing.)

I can't tell you how much you were a huge inspiration to me.

Did you have a 2yr re-check?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Congrats Ed!

You too have been an inspiration for me! Congratulations on reaching another milestone. And awesomeness at being pain free too!!!! After my revision, I will have almost as much metal in me as you and can only hope to be as active as you are :-))))))
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Great thread! After what we go through prior, during and post-op, it really is a big milestone to reach, and to be pain-free is such an inspiration to those coming along the same track, behind us. As I said elsewhere, Congratulations Ed!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Congratulations Ed. You have been an inspiration to all of us, not to mention the comic relief that we have all enjoyed. Happy skiing and all the things you love to do. Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

1,000 congratulations Ti Ed!

You earned it, buddy.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ed,
              You mean to tell me someday there really might be painfree moments for us? Hard to believe at this point, but I'm holding onto that thought. Even knowing it might be a possibility will hopefully help me out. Because at this point I have enough pain for me and everyone posting on here. Ugh! Congrats on your success, though. I'm very happy for you!
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46
              Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
              Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
              Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
              Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Special....

special guy

special insights

special spirit

special soul

Thanks for being YOU!!!!

Here's to many more painfree years....you deserve every one of 'em!!!

Hope 404

Comment

Hi ED,

Congratulations from as well. It is kind of strange the first time you realize you have no pain. I was laying in bed, couldn't sleep, then I realized I had no pain.

Winter still causes me pain, but summer time, I feel invincable. Not always a good thing for me.

Best wishes for many more years to come,
                  Shari

Comment

Hey Ed...
                    congratulations on 2 years...may you have many many more pain free years!

it gives me comfort to know that a body...a human body
                    can have rods & screws from top to bottom inside the back & still be an active ski-er!!! it totally amazes me how you live such an active life...so when/if i do finally have the surgery, i will keep that in mind, to remind me that it is do-able...& you prove it every single day!

thanks for that...& for all your funny & informative posts!

jess

Comment

Congratulations on your two year anniversay. Wishing you a healthy, active and painfree life from here on. Although i don't post much, this forum is the first and last thing i read daily. I enjoy the way everyone helps each other and always look out for your 'comedia' Ed. Once again best wishes. You truly are an inspiration.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Whoo hoo! Congrats to a special friend to so many of us! Yes, you've been an inspiration and funny guy, but the bottom line I see in your posts is all about someone who cares for the well-being of his fellow scolies. And here you are again, letting everyone know what a blessing it's been for you to have this surgery. You are so right in being thankful to those who "pioneered" and forged the trail ahead of us, making the surgery so much better now. Medical progress is amazing... My grandfather was a surgeon, receiving his medical education at Johns Hopkins with some training in Germany, circa the early 1900s, and his memoirs are so interesting. They were just beginning to find out about blood typing! We have come sooo far in 100 years!

Anyway, congratulations on reaching the two year marker! I think you'll see it just keeps getting better and better.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations, Ed....you're the best!
                          Chris
                          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Congratulations--I love your posts. There is always something to make us smile. We sometimes can get so wrapped up in the seriousness of all this, it helps to have someone with a different perspective. You are so encouraging to those of us still on this side of the surgery journey. Here's to many more pain-free years!

Anne in PA
                            Age 58
                            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                            T4 to sacrum fusion
                            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Congrats, Ed. You give each of us hope. Thanks for all humor. I know I can always count on you to make me laugh. So when I'm having a bad day, I look for tied's posts!
                              Les, the girl who can tell Harley parts from Harrington rods and pedicle screws!
                              Les, Biker Babe, age 56 (at time of first surgery)
                              Fused T2 to S2, posterior only, 8 Apr 08
                              T3 fracture repair and revision, Mar 09
                              Broke left lower rod and pelvic screws removal, Dec 09
                              Scheduled to remove all hardware, replaced everything instead due to non-fusion, Nov 10
                              Remove top 2" of rods and screws, Feb 14
                              Pre surgery degrees: L40, T45
                              Post surgery degrees: L8, T10

Happy, joyous and pain-free!
                              Surgeon: C Timothy Floyd, MD, Boise Orthopedic Clinic

Comment

Working...
                              X