hey ladies and gents (:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey ladies and gents (:

I got my staples out today.. =) The nurse guessed there were between 100-150..It wasn't to bad, but it hurt in some spots. As you read my mom updated for me a few days ago (: shes amazing, and has been great help. I am 15 days post op. I still have quite a bit a pain. I had xrays done before they took the staples out and it looked amazing!! The nurse told me if she had to guess she would say my curve is around 25-30 degrees. =) Weird though cuz the Dr. told my mom he could only get it around 70 degrees..but honestly we compared xrays from the first time I came in and now wow it looks like theres barely a curve

The hospital stay I wasn't impressed with, the nurses were REALLY rude and didn't show me how to do anything, I felt they tossed me around like a rag doll. They would tell me grab the side bar and I honestly couldn't move my arms so they would force me over cause me to get a lot of back spasms. I didnt get out of bed until the sunday after my 2nd surgery. I went in on a monday. It was really frustrating. At night is when I had the worst pain, and to get a hold of a nurse sometimes took nearly 20mins!!

Question. When I was leaving today It was freezing outside and Immediatly my neck was stiff and i could feel the pain up and down my back..Is this from the hardware? Will it go away?

27 year old female
    Upper Curve 110 degrees
    Lower Curve 90 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
    Fused T2-Pelvis
    Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Megs

Wow! You made it! Its great to have you back.....

I was freezing all the time after my surgery, even with the house at 78 degrees. Your pain will see-saw up and down with improvement as time passes. This is still a tough stage, more time needs to pass. You will have all sorts of bizarre pains, stabs, jolts from the nerves healing. The sunburn feeling and numbness eventually goes away.

My improvements came in stages. I had a 20% bump at around 3 weeks.

I'm 2 years today, and couldn’t be better. My pain is completely gone.

Time for a cocktail.....I'm celebrating!

Slow and easy now.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Megz,

Congratulations on being 15 days out. I'm sorry you had such horrible nurses--may they all stub their big toes!!

Last winter was my first post-op winter, and the cold was HORRIBLE. I still can't stand the cold and as a matter of fact, I got a warmer winter coat! So maybe that's why I'm a little better this year, or maybe it's just the passage of time.

The muscle spasms stink, but they will lessen as time goes on. You will get better and better as the weeks progress. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Now, I think I'll join Ed in that cocktail

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Great to hear from you Megz. 15 days post op is still VERY early days but yes, the pain does get better and better. I don't know about the cold making you stiff but I think it's very possible.

Sorry to hear about your hospital "care". I had a couple of rough nurses too, but fortunately they were in the minority.

Anyway, you're home, your staples are gone and all you need concern yourself with is healing. So rest, walk, eat well, and be happy, because your surgery is done! (Sounds like a great correction too! Are you happy with the way you look?)

Congrats Ed. I'm coming up for 1 year in March and I've had no pain since 3 months. I can hardly believe my luck and just hope it never runs out. I'm planning a celebration March 3. Have you got anything planned?
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Meg,

It is so good to hear from you. I'm so happy for you that your correction is better than you first thought. What a shame that the nurses at Massachusetts General Hospital taking care of a spine surgery patient were not very kind to you. I had just the opposite at the Baptist. All of my nurses were very kind and gentle. I only had a problem with a very young Physical Therapist.

The cold still bothers me, especially if I get into a car with leather seats that have not been pre-warmed. My husband does that for me now, or else I don't go. The first two winters, I froze all the time, but now after two years, my internal thermostat is back to normal, which isn't saying much. I really need to move to a warmer climate.

I hope your healing goes uneventfully from here on in. Get plenty of rest and listen to your body. Gentle Hugs.

Take care, Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hey Meg, I forgot to ask you how many inches you grew. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

congratulations on making it to the healing side...sounds as if you are dealing with things quite well!
              i am so sorry you are in pain...i hope it decreases as each day passes...and brings you the relief that you so deserve!

best regards
              jess
              Last edited by jrnyc; 01-30-2010, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Hi Megz, great to hear you are on the mend. Sorry to hear about your un-empathetic nurses. Lucky for me, the nursing staff on my Orthopaedic floor, were really good, although it was annoying sometimes that they spent so much time in my room admiring my flowers! With regards to the cold, i had my surgery on June 1st last year, which is the stqrt of our winter. I did this purposely, so that i could practically hibernate while recovering, although on the days thqt it wasn't wet outside, i would venture out for my daily walk, otherwise i would use the treadmill. Admittedly, there were alot of nights i went to bed with a warmed 'wheat bag'. Have patience, much rest and sleep will help with the recovery. Best wishes on the recovery journey.
                Vali
                44 years young! now 45
                Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                Post -op - 5 degrees
                T11 - S1 Posterior
                L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Way to go, Meg! So glad you're okay. Yes, as others have said, being cold comes with the territory....I'm much better this winter than last, so it just takes time, like everything else! Rest up and best wishes for a smooth recovery.
                  Chris
                  A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                  Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                  Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                  Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

It was wonderful to hear from you, Meg. I am 3 days away from my "adventure" and can't wait until I can post something 15 days out! Glad you're home and away from the nasty nurses. I have a very close friend who is a surgical ward RN and she said have someone get the word out about the way you were treated, preferably to someone in human resources. No excuse for that. Rest, stay warm and heal--you're an inspiration, esp. after all the difficulties you went through.

Anne in PA
                    Age 58
                    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                    T4 to sacrum fusion
                    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Thanks everyone =)

I find that some days are better than others..Today was a not so great day..Had ALOT of back spasms and stayed in bed most of the day. I can't wait until I can start walking without a walker..lol my 98 yr old gram goes faster than me =) I know it takes time and with different people some people heal faster than others.
                      I handled the operation great! I was intubated twice after each operation and when my mom when into see me after she was nervous that I was going to rip the thing out ((I swore I would if I knew I had it in lol)) but honestly it really didn't phase me any..I was alert but I was more aggravated I couldn't talk than having it in. The meds they gave me were greeeeeeeeeeeeeat..I was def. hallucinating a lot thinking I was having conversations with people that I wasn't..I would get mad at my mom bc I swore we had a conversation about something and she would tell me that I was sleeping the whole time lol..the second operation was a little scary for my mom while trying to get a good correction the alarm went off twice. So they had to let my spine rest and they stopped and fused me there..Which I am happy with the results. I have no hump and more my back is flat and I have a stomach now lol..It used to be squished together. The nurse said over time my posture will get better with the brace being on.. Whatever that means..I haven't measured myself yet but when my gram and uncle came to visit they could immediately tell that I looked taller Sounds like a gooood sign..

again thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers =)
                      and to all the up coming people with there scoliosis surgeries keep your heads up. I was a nervous wreck for weeks before it came and honestly. It wasn't that bad, they keep you pain free.. ((except for a few nurses I didn't care for!!)) and the hospital stay flew by. I was supposed to to be for 14 days I was only in for 9 =)
                      You all are in my prayers..Good luck because before you know it you will be on the other side healing like the rest of us.!! =)

27 year old female
                      Upper Curve 110 degrees
                      Lower Curve 90 degrees
                      Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Megz you are true inspiration to me. I love these write-ins about people who have been operated on and now painfree. I hope to be there someday myself! Have terrible pain now. Spend most of the evenings in sheer agony. Days are a lot of pain but evenings are the worst. I figure mostly because the muscles get tired I guess from holding up my 90 deg curve.
                        Rita Thompson
                        Age 46
                        Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                        Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                        Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                        Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Rita,
                          When is your operation?! where are you having it? Where is most of your pain. Mine was on the side, my rib and pelvis would rub together and cause me extreme pain and especially if I walked a lot that when it hurt the most. But after my surgery that pain was gone.. Only pain I am experiencing is the muscle pain/spasms. My shoulders hurt a bit and its hard to reach for stuff but i am able to do it as long as I take it slowly... You are like me with the significant large curve. I was happy with the Dr. I chose because I am him typical case that he works on, so high degree curves are normal for him..I think he did an amazing job. I still have a curve but no where near the 110 or the 90 that I had before. The nurse said if she had to guess she would say about 25 degrees!! Thats amazing!

I really wish you the best of luck on your up coming surgery. You will be in my prayers =) and I hope the Dr. gets the best correction possible!!

27 year old female
                          Upper Curve 110 degrees
                          Lower Curve 90 degrees
                          Fused T2-Pelvis

Comment

Meg - Post pictures of before and after as soon as you can! We need inspiration here!!! It's great to hear you are doing well. I hope at my age I can do as well as you younger guys, but I know it gets tougher with age But...can I just pretend I'm 29?? Keep up the good work Meg!
                            Laura
                            Laura
                            62 degrees
                            49 yrs. young
                            Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

Meg- Stories like yours gives me strength and inspiration to keep going until my time. March 11 is now 5 1/2 weeks from Thursday . It is getting closer .
                              Congratulations

Melissa

Comment

Working...
                              X