Heartfelt thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heartfelt thanks

I have never been one who felt they needed a support group for anything until I came to the realization that I was going to have to face this surgery. This forum and the wonderful people who are a part of it have already done so much to ease my anxiety and fears. Debbe spent an hour on the phone with me the other night answering all of my questions, no matter how trivial or embarrassing. She also connected me to another successful post-op who sent me a long e-mail filled with realities and reassurances. I don't know that I would be doing this (nor would I have found this surgeon) without this forum. As I sit here and think "This week I'm teaching, next week I'll be in ICU" I know I can get through it thanks to all of you. At some point, I hope to be able to share my experiences and help someone else the way you have helped me.
    Hugs to all of you.

Anne in PA
    Age 58
    Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
    T4 to sacrum fusion
    63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
    Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
    Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Awh, Anne, its the least we can do. I know that some day you will be reassuring others.

Today someone at work was asking about my work history and as I went through it, I got to 2008, when as a contractor, I had to leave my job to have this surgery. THis person immediately said 'I'm sorry', as if there were something still wrong with me. I replied---nothing to be sorry about--I'm JUST FINE. Before you know it, you will be JUST FINE too. I know you have faith in your Dr., and have a positive attitude. The combination of those 2 things works wonders.

Call me if you need a last-minute pep-talk.

Love,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I , too, spent an hour on the phone today reassuring someone who is haivng surgery on Friday. And we "met" on this forum. I was so thankful to have this forum that I am more than happy to "pay it forward!"
      Kathy, 43
      Diagnosed as a teen
      Boston brace 2 years
      63 degree lumbar curve
      Surgery August 26, 2009
      Anterior approach fused T12-L4
      now 28 degrees

Comment

I might need some reassurance as March 11 gets nearer.

I am feeling good about my decision now most of the time but every now and then I get somewhat nervous so that week in March it would be great to have some one on one time

Melissa

Comment

Melissa--
          I know what you mean. Even when you know it needs to be done and you're even excited about making these big changes, little doubts and sometimes big ones creep in to make us crazy. We've been there. Feel free to ask for help. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
          X