PDA

View Full Version : January, February, March 2010 surgeries...

Susie*Bee
01-24-2010, 07:35 AM
It seems like the official calendar either isn't working or is very slow or people don't know how to use it. I would like to keep an UNofficial calendar again-- I just ask for everyone's help in getting the info to me to post. Add the info on as a post in this thread or PM me with it, please-- whether it's your own or just one you happen upon while reading threads. Let's do retroactive for January, so if someone already went, let's post it. That way we know who is recovering as well.

It's sooooo hard to know who's doing what without something like this. I know we will probably miss posting some, but hope it won't be too many-- and it has to be better than what is on the official calendar (it's still blank for those months). Thanks for your help!

BTW-- this is for any and all scoli surgeries, regardless of age, revision, etc. Be sure to include however much info you want-- name, extent of fusion, P or A, surgeon, hospital, location, etc.

JANUARY
25th - Jimbo - Sydney, Australia
26th - jlg627 (Jen) - T2(or 4?)-pelvis
29th - jenparker - T4-L3 w/ Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
29th - ckieft (Chris) - @Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC

FEBRUARY
2nd - ADMoul (Anne) - T4 to sacrum w/ osteotomies and cages; all posterior, w/ Dr. Lonner @NYU Hospital for Joint Disease
9th - KateScoliKid (Katlin -16yo) (AND ddb's DD!) - surgery T11-L3, CHKD In VA
11th - asha - @Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
17th - huskymom (Melissa) - C5/6-L1/2

MARCH
1st - RitaR - T3-sacrum and revision, w/ Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
8th - Tammy T. (TobyT's wife) - w/ Dr. Nunley, Shreveport LA
10th - kennedy (Kara) - w/ Dr. Gupta @ UC Davis Medical Center
12 or 16th? - saribari (Sarah) - Australia
17th and 18th - Nitram - A/P T10-pelvis w/ Dr. Christopher Good/Virginia Spine @ Reston Hospital
18th - naptown78 (Kristy) - revision surgery, Indianapolis
25th - pint47 (Barb) - posterior spinal fusion T10 to pelvis w/Dr. Sethie, Johnson City, NY.
31st - Radiogirl (Laura, from Cleveland) - T4-L4(?) w/ Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
31st - TexEx (Melissa) - w/ Dr. Hansen, Houston, TX

ddb
01-24-2010, 08:46 AM
DD's surgery in Feb - she has just started posting under KateScoliKid.

Katlin (16yo) - surgery date Feb 9th - T-11 -> L-3 CHKD In Va

naptown78
01-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Just scheduled my revision for March 18

titaniumed
01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I donít know about you guys, but I really missed Susie Bees surgical status threads of the past.

I wake up, look at the news, check the weather, glance the sports section, and of course, Susie Bees threads.

Once I wondered if they were going to add it to the Wall St Journal. Front page, of course.

In fact I'm sure that some surgeons out there checked her threads to see who the heck they were operating on for the week.... LOL

Honestly, I couldnít keep track without Susie Bee.
Thx
Ed

Radiogirl
01-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Haha!..Ed!...that's so funny! Susie Bee thank you so much for doing this!
Radiogirl (Laura) from Cleveland
Dr. Lenke St. Louis
3/31/10
62 degrees
T4-L4 ? Will know more after my preop 2/24/10

ADMoul
01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
ADMoul
Feb. 2 - Dr. Lonner - NYU Hospital for Joint Disease
T-4 to sacrum with osteotomies and cages; all posterior

Thanks for keeping everyone up to date. I thought I posted on the calendar but maybe it didn't work.

Susie*Bee
01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Ed, you are sooooo funny! :D

This will help me feel connected... after having posted thousands of times (ok, maybe not quite that many), I just kind of ran out of things to say. This way I can think I'm still helping someone, maybe. I am a visual person and it helps me to see things "at a glance" rather than in random threads.

You are all welcome. Anne-- it may just take awhile for it to appear on the surgery calendar. I think I'll mention HOW LONG to Joe...

ckieft
01-24-2010, 01:07 PM
I having surgery this Friday,the 29th at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, NC. I am a 42 year old mom who has watched my curve follow my age closely. It has passed me though and is around 50 degress. I have never had any kind of surgery , so you can imagine how I'm feeling.

Susie*Bee
01-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Dear ckieft-- as they say, "this too shall pass..." and there will be many of us thinking of you and praying for a successful surgery and relatively quick recovery. Keep in mind that we were all pretty much scared and unsure what would happen and how life would be. Trust is such a difficult thing to grab hold of. Don't worry too much about the "what mights"-- but enjoy the present, with your kids. You've got a few days left to do some fun things, have some quality time, etc. So try to fill your life with them right now. Just make sure you get your supplies/bag packed and last minute errands run too. I think you'll find that this whole surgery journey will make you stronger in many ways. I made a scrapbook of my surgery and recovery. It was kind of fun to do and looking at it was proof positive of my recovery, even when it felt slow at times. Try to enjoy this week-- do some fun things together. And have a good cry too, if you need to do that. I know I did-- but not when anyone was around... sometimes that helps clear the air. I think a lot of people feel sort of calm and at peace right before their surgery. Scared yet excited. You'll do fine.

asha
01-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Thank you, SusieBee. My surgery is scheduled for Feb. 11th at Cedars Cinai in L.A. Good Luck everybody!!!

Doodles
01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks, Susie Bee! This is very helpful to follow everyone's surgeries. I know when mine first appeared on last year's Jan-March it made me gulp--It seemed quite real suddenly but I knew I had lots of support here. Janet

debbei
01-24-2010, 06:36 PM
I donít know about you guys, but I really missed Susie Bees surgical status threads of the past.

I wake up, look at the news, check the weather, glance the sports section, and of course, Susie Bees threads.

Once I wondered if they were going to add it to the Wall St Journal. Front page, of course.

In fact I'm sure that some surgeons out there checked her threads to see who the heck they were operating on for the week.... LOL

Honestly, I couldnít keep track without Susie Bee.
Thx
Ed

I miss Susie Bee too. :) I figure she's really busy with work and those new grandbabies. I think it's time for a Susie Bee Update!! :)

mbeckoff
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks Susie Bee

It is coming soon now

But I am ready for it

Melissa

titaniumed
01-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I figured I would pop this up since Im so forgetful.
Ed

Susie*Bee
02-01-2010, 05:07 AM
Good job, Ed!

Just got a PM that Joyful's surgery is coming up in Feb or March... anyone know the date? Are there some other surgeries that need to be listed??? If you add them on in a post, I'll get them put in that first one. Thanks!

Susie*Bee
02-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Let us know when your revision surgery is and whatever info you want listed, and I'll add it to the first post in this thread. Thinking of you as your date approaches. Hugs, Susie

Anyone else with upcoming surgeries that aren't listed here, please let us know! Just post here or send me a PM.

Susie*Bee
02-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Just trying to add to the first post. RitaR-- I think I have your info, but if you want it different than this just let me know.

I think TobyT's wife is having surgery soon too, but I'm not sure when. Who else??? And what info???

Susie*Bee
02-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Just adding Tammy T, TobyT's wife, on to the first post.

Anyone else?

RitaR
02-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Hello Susie Bee, Didn't know if you had my information or not. I am scheduled for surgery on March 1st by Dr. Lenke in St. Louis. Guess I'll be starting the month off right just by making it to the "other side". Yea! I am more than ready to get this over with.!!!! Just hate this waiting around... But, at least I'm not waiting till July!!!!

Susie*Bee
02-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Yep, Rita... look in the first post of this thread and you'll see your name for March 1st. If you want it listed differently than what I've done, just let me know. That's so exciting that you are going so soon!

RitaR
02-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Hey Susie, Those are some cool pictures! How do you all get those x-ray films on email? I'm jealous!! :)

joyfull
02-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Susie Bee. As of now, my surgery is scheduled for June 8th with Dr. Lonner at NYU/Joint Diseases in New York. I'm having minimally invasive anterior/posterior surgery. I have an 85 degree thoracic curve.

Thanks so much for doing this, and good luck to all those who have surgery coming up.

Joy

RitaR
02-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey Susie Bee - looks great to see my name as Mar 1st.....Yea!!!! Sounds horrible what they're going to do - but I am more than ready to get it over with! Bring it on! BEtter days are on the horizon!!! :)

Susie*Bee
02-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Yay, Rita! Recovery is hard work, but it's so nice to be on the other side of surgery... you then know what you're dealing with. And you make progress going in the right direction, instead of getting worse like we all were doing.

As for the pics-- if you can put them on one of the internet photo storage places (like photobucket) then you can post them like that. Pam helped me out a couple of years ago, as I am not very savvy with things like that. Do you have digital copies of your x-rays? They are best and that is an easy way to post them. If not, many of us have posted pics that we took of our regular x-rays. My first ones I posted were from pics I had taken of regular x-rays on the lighted board at my scoli appt. Much later I asked for (and received) the digital ones. Other members have taken pics of x-rays just held up to windows, etc. If you need help, let us know and someone will hop in to help you-- even me. :)

joyfull-- I will start a new thread for April, May and June... I think someone else posted recently that theirs would be sometime then. Can someone help me find the info, please?

Nitram
02-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi all...this is my first post here but I'll be joining the "club" soon. I was diagnosed with scoliosis back in 1984 and wore a brace for a couple of years. I quite frankly can't remember what the degree of my curve was back then...and I honestly completely put the scoliosis out of my mind for about 20 years. Started having some minor problems in 2006 and have been seeing the doc ever since. My lumbar curve has progress from about 45 degrees in 2006 to 65 degrees now and the doc says its time to do something. I have surgery scheduled for March 17th & 18th, anterior/posterior approach at Reston Hospital. My surgeon is Dr. Christoper Good at Virginia Spine. I had a second opinion by Dr. Lauerman at Georgetown and he concurred that it was time to do something. Getting fused from T-10 to pelvis....SOOOO looking forward to it.

LynetteG
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
My surgery is now scheduled for April 1st!

Susie*Bee
02-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Lynette-- I put you on the April, May, June surgeries thread last night. If you have more info for it, let me know. Best wishes!

LynetteG
02-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks Suzie Bee :)

ckieft
02-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey everyone,
My surgery was Jan 29 and I am doing so much btter than I ever imagined I would be. I have been driven to the mall twice, the grocery store, and to Target. I have been to two of my boy's basketball games and sat on the bleachers! I cooked our first meal (easy...tacos) last night! We have had so many meals brought to us, whic has been nice. I drove one mile yesterday...just to see how it felt. I have pain in my left shoulder blade, more than anywhere else. I still take 2 oxycodone every 5-6 hours. I tried to get off that and go to vicatin...but it wasn't quite enough. I'll try it again next week. If anyone has any questions, please call me. I would love to help anyone who hasn't gone yet. It's such a scary thing to face...but it is worth it!!

mbeckoff
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
That is great .
My surgery is in 2 weeks and I cannot wait.
I had my pre-op with my surgeon yesterday and it was such a good appointment .Monday I go to the hospital which I know will not be such a good appointment but there I must go.Where do you live and where was your surgery?

What was the best item you took to the hospital and what could you have left at home?

What didn't you take that you really could have used?

What did you need when you first came home?

Thanks
God Bless
Melissa

LynetteG
02-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Melissa - they are great questions to ask - I'm glad you asked them and will be interested to hear the answers :)

ckieft
02-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Take to the hospital: your own toilet paper and tissues..theirs are way too thin

Don't take: clothes...I didn't put any on until the day I went home...just wore the lovely blue printed gowns for 6 nights. (In fact I wore home the same warm-up suit that I wore to the hospital...just changed the t-shirt and underwear!)

I never read books or magazines...just slept alot and watched tv

I also used those little disposable toothbrushes (Wisp by Colgate). They were great the first few days when I couldn't get out of bed to brush my teeth...and I chewed gum.

You will get constipated in the hospital...drink lots of water. That was almost the worst part. Have good foods with fiber at home for when you return. You can also try taking fiber-one bars to the hospital to eat once they put you on solid food.

LynetteG
02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
ckieft - they are some great tips for us - thank you so much. I've taken notes for what to take and what not to take :)

mbeckoff
02-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Chris,

Great tips .Thanks so much.

Question about gum? Why?

Melissa

ckieft
02-26-2010, 10:11 AM
I chewed gum to freshen my mouth because I threw up quite a bit. I had a minor dural tear in the membrane surrounding my spinal cord which could lead to a spinal fluid leak. So to prevent that, right after surgery, my bed had to be completely flat for 24 hours. While on the morphine, I slept alot with my mouth open and my lips and mouth got very dry. So when I finally could sit a little more propped up in bed, I wanted gum to wet and freshen my mouth. I didn't get out of bed for two days because of the tear. Most people are up and walking the next day...so I was about a day and a half behind schedule. That's why I was there 6 nights...a little longer than I had anticipated.

But I am doing so much better that I ever thought I would be. I could put o socks and tie my shoes at 2 weeks. (I have long arms and legs, so that helps a little.) I have never needed anyone to wipe me, or bath me. My mom did wash my hair in the shower the 3rd day I was home.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

kennedy
03-02-2010, 08:07 PM
plase put my new surgery date on it march 10 whit dr gupta at uc davis medical center

mbeckoff
03-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Please take me off March 7th as my surgical date

I will explain in another post

Melissa

LisaB
03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
does anyone know who naptown78's(Kristi) surgeon is?

Susie*Bee
03-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Just bringing this back to the top again. Does anyone know for sure when saribari's surgery date is? When I put it on here she had two possible dates-- either today or the 16th. We have a couple more surgeries going on next week too. Best wishes to all of you having your surgeries soon! Pretty soon the long wait will be over!

Susie*Bee
03-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Added pint47's surgery...

Any others?

Susie*Bee
03-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Just added TexEx on to the list in the first post. We're about to end this thread. Best wishes and many prayers to TexEx (Melissa) and Radiogirl (Laura) -- their big day is Wednesday. Hugs, Susie

Radiogirl
03-27-2010, 09:37 AM
Susie, Thank you so much for your wishes and support and for doing this thread. It's so nice of you to maintain this. We are all soooooo blessed to have our support group here :) Thanks Susie!