PDA

View Full Version : Surgery Tomorrow

Jimbo
01-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Well guys, I am off to Sydney to stay at a hotel near the hospital as I have to be there at 7:00am.

I just want to thank you all so very much for your help, guidance, and advice throughout the years. You have eased much anxiety and smoothed the rough road of this journey.

I will throw up a post as soon as I can.

To all of you having surgery soon I wish you the best of luck.

Jimbo

jrnyc
01-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Hi Jim
good luck with your surgery...thoughts & prayers for a successful outcome & uneventful healing!
i am flying out to see dr anand in CA on monday...will be thinking of you during my trip.....

jess

ddb
01-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Good Luck to you. Looking forward to hearing from you on the healing side.

Dee

mbeckoff
01-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Best of everything to you

My surgery is now about 6 1/2 weeks and I cannot wait

Hope to only hear good things from you

Melissa

JDM555
01-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Good Luck! You will be in my prayers for sure! Don't worry too much, take it easy and before you know it, you'll be recovering with no problems.
John

Vali
01-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Best wishes of a safe and successful surgery and of a smooth and speedy recovery.

JenniferG
01-24-2010, 03:53 AM
All the best Jimbo. I will be thinking of you. I look forward to reading your recovery stories. I know you're going to be very pleased with your result. *thumbs up*

huskymom
01-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Good Luck!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Remember to stay positive!! Please post as soon as you can. I want to hear about your recovery. My surgery is Wednesday, February 17, 2010, so you are gonna need to give me some advice:)
Take Care, Melissa

debbei
01-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Good luck Jimbo; I am looking forward to reading your update after surgery!!

Susie*Bee
01-24-2010, 08:23 AM
You're in my thoughts and prayers too. Can't wait to hear from you "on the other side" of this surgery! You're almost there!!!

naptown78
01-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Good Luck and happy healing!!!

titaniumed
01-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Jimbo

You will do just fine.

Hang in there
Ed

Radiogirl
01-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Jimbo - I'm sending positive and healthy thoughts your way. Let us know as soon as you can how you are doing!
Laura

loves to skate
01-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Jimbo,

We are pulling for you. Good thoughts and prayers being sent your way. You will do just fine.

Sally

ADMoul
01-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Best wishes for a successful surgery and happy healing. I will be a week behind you. Keep everyone posted. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

lapieper
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Jimbo,

Just remember we only have to do this one day at a time. Breathe in God, breathe out fear...
Les

JenniferG
01-24-2010, 04:36 PM
It's 8.30 am in Sydney. Jimbo is likely in theatre. I hope he felt some of that inexplicable calm that many of us feel just prior to surgery.

We're barracking for you Jimbo!

Doodles
01-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Jimbo--
Your day is finally here! You'll do great and can't wait to hear from you on the other side. Prayers for a great outcome and recovery. Janet

ShortEb
01-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Hey Jimbo!

All the best of luck for your surgery and I hope you have a great and safe recovery! Let me know how your experience with having Dr Gray as your surgeon goes :D

Hope to hear about how well you are doing soon,
Eb

txmarinemom
01-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Can't wait to hear good news from you, Jimbo!

52skeedoo
01-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Jimbo --

Like everyone else I'm looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

Sheri

mbeckoff
01-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Jimbo,

I am also eagerly waiting to find out how you are doing

Melissa

jrnyc
01-27-2010, 04:42 PM
hey jim...i will keep you in my thoughts & prayers as i fly back to east coast tomorrow...am off to cedars sinai now to see what dr anand has to say...doubt that anyone can fuse me without major incisions...

i hope you have a smooth procedure & an uneventful healing....

best wishes
jess

sillycoffeegirl
01-28-2010, 08:45 AM
hey jimbo,

I have you in my thoughts and prayers as well. Hope you are healing fast and getting lots of rest. Let us know how you are doing soon. :)

joyfull
01-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Jimbo, I echo everyone's sentiment. My prayers go out to you for a full and speedy recovery. Joy

Jimbo
01-30-2010, 06:26 AM
what an operation.

i am in bed now on endone morphine tablets. og surgery was to fuse from t5-l4.

that didnt happen unfortunatlyly. the surgeon found an already partially fused disk at t5 as well as a fracture! so he tempo extended the hooks to l5 looking at removing them in 9 months. i gotta wear a small lumbar brace for 6 months to up my success of stabilisation of l5. if not the fusuion will have to be extended ti pelvis in 8 months :-[

i am showeering on my own(had two today) and walked 200 meteres today:]

pain levels for first three days were immense only controlled with morphine pca. pain level has eases cept for illiac hip, that sucks.

when i walk i get very nervous as it feels unbelievably stiff ans awkward! i hope this eases.

saw xrays 100% correction. but long fusion. no bm in six days lol, i am just wishing to poo now. break lotta wind which is good sign of now bowel obstruction.

surgeon is awesome Dr Grey, comes in daily to see me and is filled with confidence that i am and will do just fine. i will just be pottering round like old man for few months xD

i am getting alot of popping sound from spine when moving.

very hard to get comfy, no position is a good one but you just live with it for now.

family and friends have been coming by but have asked for no more visitors because peple get too distresses to see me in pain and therefore stresses me.

have been eating well, food here is yummy :P

surgery is very rough! but tollerable. will up my rays tomorrow. you gys rock

peace out

jimo:eek:

;

osumike
01-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Congrats buddy! Sounds like a great success! The first few days were rough, but youre already showering and walking- thats awesome. I cant wait to see your xrays

Vali
01-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Hi Jimbo, good to see that you are well enough to post. Hope you do really well with the brace and that you won't require further surgery. With regards to the fracture, was this caused by the pressure of the scoli? Give the hip some time, although i must admit - it does bloody hurt!Take care and really rest, sleeping is the best cure! All the best.

Susie*Bee
01-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Yes, it's super to hear from you!!! That's fantastic that you are up to posting already, and it sounds like you are on track and doing well. Each day will bring improvement; strength, able to do a little more, etc. It's just slow going at first. You will feel so pleased with all your victories-- even the "poo" one! Looking forward to more posts as you get better and better... listen to your body and don't overdo. It's a fine line between pushing yourself a little so you can bring on the healing (walking is so important) and overdoing. Take care! :) Susie

jrnyc
01-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Jimbo
glad you are on the healing side now...sorry for your complications...but it sounds like your doctor really knows what he is doing, so that hopefully inspires confidence in you...may your pain lessen with each day...i hope your recovery road is smooth & that you are up & walking with more success each day!

jess

debbei
01-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Hi Jimbo,

I'm glad to read your update--you have been on my mind. I'm sorry that the surgeon found surprises in there. HOpefully you won't need additional surgery.

I agree that too many visitors is tiring in the hospital--and even once you're home. I remember once I was home, people would come to visit and if I was too tired, I'd say I had to take a nap while they were still there.

It's all about what you need now. Take care of yourself, and keep us posted.

loves to skate
01-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Jimbo,
Congrats on being on the other side. It is tough for awhile, but does get better. Aren't you the lucky one with good food and all in the hospital. Good food definitely will help in the healing process. Take care, you are in my prayers.
Sally

mbeckoff
01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Jimbo

Great News on getting thru your surgery

Sounds like you are making a good recovery

Melissa

JenniferG
01-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi Jimbo,
Just echoing other's replies. Great to hear from you, you were in my thoughts for days, wondering how it went. Looking forward to seeing your x-rays. Sorry to hear about the complications but this will sort itself out.

Meantime I'm glad to hear you're walking so well, because that's sooo good for you. That plus sleep plus good food, is exactly what you need right now.

Hang in there, you're on the side now where it can only get better.

ADMoul
01-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Great to hear from you and that you can at least eat, shower and walk. I am 3 days away from my surgery and hanging on to every word (good and bad) from the newest post-ops. Hang in there, rest and let yourself be pampered. We're all pulling for you.

Doodles
01-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Aren't you thrilled to be on this side? Plus you know it basically gets a little better every day. Congratulations on this success, take care, and get tons of rest. Janet

JenniferG
01-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Jimbo, I see elsewhere you are in bad pain in hospital. I went through a time like that in hospital. The meds never seemed to be enough, and I was calling for morphine injections before my next lot were due. That went on for two weeks and they wouldn't let me home until I'd gone 12 hours without that extra morphine needle. Finally, on day 19, I was allowed home and I went, filled with trepidation at what would happen to me in the night, being unable to call for that needle when it became unbearable and my meds weren't due. Turns out, the minute I got into my own bed, my spine relaxed totally, and I absolutely KNEW I was going to be ok. And I was. My bed was so much more comfy than the hospital bed and I was so happy to be home, I wished I'd come home a fortnight earlier. It might have saved a lot of pain.

And sleep! No noise or interruptions, it was wonderful. I hope you have a comfy bed waiting for you. It makes a huge difference.

Once home, my oral meds were enough to keep the pain at bay. I blame a very hard hospital bed with lumps and valleys whereas at home my bed was flat and with a foam topper to sink into. Plus that psychological thing of making it to the comfort of your own home.

I hope your pain is sorted, one way or another, very soon.

titaniumed
01-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Jimbo

You hang in there. Let us know when they release you from the hospital and go home.

Laying on the incision site is sure is tricky in the beginning.... The foam topper helps with that issue.

Take care
Ed

Jimbo
02-01-2010, 03:46 AM
i am feeling much better today. I walked nearly 1km without my walker!!

But then the bowel pain started again, oh dear that is so bad. my belly swollen right up. they enema'd me, I held it in for 1/2 hour, eeck. I then let it rip and it helped. I was then given a yellow viscous goo to drink and I ran, gown fluttering behind my exposed buttocks, to the bathroom and exploded like a can of baked beans in a fire xD

That was a few hours ago now. I went to for another walk to maternity walk to see the wee ones :)

I was transferred into a MASSIVE room all by myself. I swear it is the size of a large hotel room. I think they thought I needed a little gift as I was having it very rough.

I have cut down to half my oral morphine tablets and am more relying on COX 2's and valium.

I am still quite concerned about my bowel though. There is still no peristalsis and I fart constantly. Kinda sucks. I just dont want that pain to return and my bowels to return to normal!! anyone know how long it could take?

JenniferG
02-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Good to hear the news of your big improvement Jimbo, I was still cringing about your pain.

Sounds like you are doing just fine now. Regarding the big BM, I think it's different for everyone so impossible to advise. I think for me, it was around the 3 week mark that I became regular again. The walking you're doing should help. Meantime, fart away! (Easy for me to say now - at the time I was dying of embarrassment!)

Just for my own curiosity...when did they put you on solid food? I had it from day 2 or 3 (fuzzy) and I think it was too early because I didn't have a BM for 9 days. I think it turned to concrete because nothing was moving in there. Get someone to bring you in a box of Nulax. It was the only thing that worked for me, but don't have too much. (I didn't read the instructions, just hoed in, then damn near exploded.)

Jimbo
02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
JenniferG I was put on solid food the day after my op

JenniferG
02-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Ah! Then I have this theory, based on nothing more than my own experience and a hunch. It's too soon to be having anything more than liquid foods - clear soups etc, because our gut hasn't yet awoken and got moving again. My surgeon gave me the ok to eat a full diet, but I think he was wrong in this one instance. Too late now, but I wonder if this isn't the reason why you're having problems. Regardless, it does normalise before too long - usually just before you think you're going to die from it!:o

Vali
02-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Jimbo, I was only allowed to eat yoghurt, clear soups and stewed fruit. The Head Nurse said 'no full diet until we hear bowel sounds', however i needed some substance to be able to walk my first steps,so....drastic times call for drastic measures... i asked for a 'Fruit Box' uugghh and some prunes.. it worked..day 3 post-op... relief! I did strike problems when i got home and our Pharmacist said that i should take one Coloxyl tablet everynight at bedtime while i'm on the Endone and this worked. Day 15 post-op, i came off all pain meds and started adding Flaxseed Meal to my Protein shakes and regularity came back real fast! Best wishes to you, apart from some steps back, you seem to be moving forward quickly.