Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mattress Question - Does anyone have a Tempur-Pedic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattress Question - Does anyone have a Tempur-Pedic?

Hi-

I currently own a pillow-top mattress and absolutely hate it. It is too soft and my husband and I feel like we are sinking into the mattress. I believe it has contributed to making my pain worse and it is just not good for my back being that I have two 50 degree curves. I am currently now having pain in my shoulder, but that's probably because I have a disc protrusion in my C5-6 in my neck and the pain goes down my arm. Anyway, I am getting surgery in June and today I was out shopping for mattresses as I would like to buy a new one before surgery. The salesperson was telling me that a Tempur-Pedic would be great for me considering I will have rods/screws in my back after the operation. Does anyone out there have one, and if so, do they like it? What other types of mattresses do you guys recommend? The salesperson also said buying a latex one is my next best option to the Tempur-Pedic.

Thanks for your suggestions,
    JenM
    Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
    Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
    Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
    Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
    31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Hi Jen
    i havent had surgery....yet...but i actually like pillow top softer mattresses...for years i did the firm mattress thing out of thinking it was the right thing to do, while hating it!

i only fear that tempur-pedic lets one sink in to the mattress...which i dont do with my pillow top...that is why i havent bought one yet, though i am considering a convertible tempur-pedic couch, as a trial...

good luck with your search for the right mattress....
    jess

Comment

I like a firm mattress with a two-inch memory foam topper. This gives me support, but also allows a bit of give at the surface for my body to relax into. I actually used one on my old futon which was quite firm and this made it much more comfortable.

I purchased the topper on the internet, but I've also seen them at Bed, Bath and Beyond in New York.
      T-6 to L-4 Zeilke/CD (Anterior/Posterior) procedures done at age 39in 1988 at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital by Dr. Jean Pierre Farcy.

Comment

kohl's dept store sales a two inch topper memory foam for under $100.

I know of one family that bought a waterbed for their daughter while she wore the brace. She loved it. Can you still buy waterbeds?
        age 15
        Daughter diagnosed at age 13
        T20 l23 10-09
        T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
        T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
        T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
        Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
        Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

Jen, I had a pillow top mattress pre and post op surgery. Pre surgery it was OK but post op I hated it!!! I Knew before surgery I wanted a new mattress but I wanted to wait until I was post surgery so I could lay on them with my new back. I waited about a year I think to get it I bought a pretty firm mattress and a 4in topper which I love. While on vacation last summer I slept on a tempur pedic for a week and LOVED it. I had almost bought one when I was looking but was unsure. I love my bed now but almost whish I would of got the other. Anways my point is you may want to wait until after surgery to get a bed that feels good post op as it will def. change.

Good Luck,
          Patty 51 years old
          Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
          Posterior T3- L4
          Pre surgery curves
          T-53degrees
          L-38degrees
          and a severe side shift to the right.
          Post surgery curves
          Less than 10 degrees
          Surgery April, 2006
          C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Jen, i had a pillowtop pre and post surgery. Post surgery for the first three months it was bliss (aaaahhhh sleepmaker), however, around the four month stage (i think) i was waking up very achy etc. We purchased a new mattress and put the pillowtop in the spare room. I'm not sure what its called, however as i live in Australia, we probably have different names for them anyway, but here goes. The new mattress, is firmer but not rock solid as some and it supports all the pressure points, therefore if lying on your side, you can actually see that the spine is in a straight line. It is very very comfortable. My surgeon tells his patients that they don't need a new mattress post surgery unless their current one looks like it has the hammock effect. I'm stripping my bed tomorrow, i'll check out the label and let you know.
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
            St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
            Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior
            L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Hi Jen

I have a latex I had made for me about 10 years ago and loved it at the time. 5 years ago, I was having problems with that bed and then bought a "medium" tempurpedic.

The first week, I had problems with it and my Chiros mentioned that most people have issues adjusting to the tempurpedics the first 2 weeks after they buy them. Now, I think its perfect, and perfectly flat. It’s the "hammocking" of most mattresses that’s a killer, even if its only an inch.

After your surgery, a topper is mandatory. It took me about 3 weeks of hardly any sleep before I got my 2 inch topper and it helped considerably. I slept with the topper for about 6 months, then removed it from the tempurpedic.

Its hard to throw that dart and pick the right bed. If you can get some sort of return or exchange policy, that would be the way to go, just in case you are unhappy.

Another thing I learned about buying furniture is the fact that these people in the furniture business will lie about stock and delivery. After threatening lawsuits with Macys and several companies at the Mart in San Francisco, I will only buy off the floor. When I bought my tempurpedic, I flashed the cash and told the guy that I would only pay them AFTER it was delivered.

This experience only came after a 12 month extensive remodel on my home years ago. The house is great, but between the contractors and waiting and having the wrong furniture delivered, it almost killed me.
              Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

In preparation for my upcoming surgery, I bought a 4 inch memory foam (same as tempurpedic) mattress topper. I put it on top of my previously hard mattress and I love it. I got it from Overstock.com for $150. It's also a great way to see if you like the tempurpedic feel without a large investment in buying a mattress.
                Laura
                62 degrees
                49 yrs. young
                Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Comment

I agree Laura, a hard mattress, with the 4 inch latex foam topper is a great set-up, and a cheap way to go.

One of the things I have noticed is with the tempurpedic, you can fall asleep in a particular position, and wake up 8 hours later, in that same position. That does say something about the mattress, since movement is triggered by a host of reasons, probably the main one being pressure related.

Another thing, since there are no springs, you do not feel movement from the significant other on the other side of the bed. That includes adult Great Danes.

I paid about $2400 for mine. Very pricy. I had so many sleeping issues before my surgery, that it really wasn’t an option for me at the time. Of course, my surgeries were dictated by pain.

If I lost mine right now in a fire or for some other reason, (mattress police?) I would immediately replace it.

Remember the movie "Fletch" with Chevy Chase? lol Do not remove the tag from the mattress!
                  Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Like many others, I did memory foam toppers on a regular mattress before surgery.

I finally broke down and got my Tempurpedic about a year ago (toppers aren't even comparable) ... and never want to sleep on anything else!

Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

i purchased a 3-inch memory foam mattress topper after my surgery. i actually prefer it to a full-on temperpedic mattress. it's wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by jesscv View Post
                        i purchased a 3-inch memory foam mattress topper after my surgery. i actually prefer it to a full-on temperpedic mattress. it's wonderful!
                        You made me think about something, Jess ...

I don't think I would have liked a Tempurpedic just after surgery ... maybe not even in the first post-op year. I'm almost sure it would have been too firm back then.

For a good 8-9 months after surgery, I was really able to get comfortable on the softness of the 2" memory foam topper I had over a traditional pillow top mattress. It finally just started feeling too soft. I'd *always* preferred a bed I could just sink into, and gradually I realized my bed was the reason I was waking up sore ... shoulders stiff, hips stiff, neck stiff.

Anyway ... I started looking at both the Sleep Number and Tempurpedics. Personally, I didn't care for the feel of the Sleep Number beds. Some people love them.

When Tempurpedic discontinued a few lines this time last year, a local furniture store started liquidating them at massive discounts. The model I ended up with is the Symphony - and I guess it's probably qualified as "medium/firm". Yeah, it was the one selling for about 40% of the regular price, but I did also try their softer, high-end line ... and they also felt too "squishy".

I have never in my life liked a firm mattress, but the Tempurpedics are different: They're not a typical, traditional "firm".

Also, while I loved it in the store, it's ridiculously hard (if not impossible) to get a feel for what it would be like every night. It took me a while (maybe a week or two) to actually get used to sleeping on it ... and I wasn't entirely sure I'd made the right choice.

By the time I realized I was no longer waking up sore, I was a convert.

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

I agree with Pam. I HAD to get the topper for the tempurpedic right after surgery. It wasn’t soft enough.

I remember that the pressure on the bandage on my backside scar was an issue while trying to lay on my back, and the soft foam topper was more forgiving in that area. In fact, with my broken right shoulder and anterior scar, that left only one position in bed.

Standing up, that’s right! LOL

We actually need a member from NSF to go and get a job at a bedding company, to give us a thorough review. LOL

Hell, we should get scoliosis discounts!

The beauty of the tempurpedic is that it doesn’t hammock or sag. At least mine hasn’t, after about 5 years.

Just for the record, I did sleep on a floor for 2 nights when I was in Honolulu. I made it! I survived to tell the story.
                          Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Laughing at the Honolulu comment, Ed ...

When Suzy met up with me on my California/Utah trip in Dec. 2008 and she elected to sleep on the floor that first night in Miramar, I just ~cringed~ - LOL. I was absolutely sure I would NEVER (be able to) do that.

So ... fast forward a year ...

Next week, I'll be 2 years out ... and yeah ... I'll take the floor any day (now) over a bed that's too soft.

I remember being SO worried about sleeping on *anything* other than my bed the first few months after surgery ... even in a hotel. And then, at 3 months post-op, I went to a bike rally in NY ... and *camped* for 4 days ... on an air mattress. I survived, but I was soooooo glad to get home!

While toppers serve their purpose, I want to stress: Don't be under the impression a topper (even a 4" one) is a good indicator of Tempurpedic. It just isn't.

Pam

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you so much for all your replies. I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and responses!

Titaniumed & txmarinemom- I think you both sold me on getting a tempur-pedic. I wake up everyday in pain and I am only 31. Feel like I'm 80 getting out of bed! I'll have to get the mattress topper like everyone suggests for after surgery. I laid in a tempur-pedic in the Raymour & Flannigan showroom this past weekend and it was great! The only thing I'm confused about is there is like 10 different models and I'm not sure what to get. The bad thing is that these beds are sooo pricey! I was looking at the "deluxe" bed. It is like the 3rd or 4th least expensive, for a king size bed it's about $3100 or $2900. Titaniumed, do you know what model you have? Is it firm? My only concern is that I'm about 5'4 inches and of normal weight. My husband is 6'1 inches, and 230 pounds. I'm worried about him sinking into the bed and then the bed creating a hammocking effect. Do you think this would happen? I'm not sure if the memory foam tempur-pedic beds are the best option for bigger people like him. What do you think?

Thanks everyone!

JenM
                              Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                              Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                              Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                              Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                              31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

Working...
                              X