PDA

View Full Version : First Sergury ever, Less than one month :(

KateScoliKid
01-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Basic info:
Curve: 52* (as of mid October)
Surgeon: Dr. St. Claire
Hospital: C.H.K.D.

Hello! My mom showed me this website and i kinda got hooked on it. My name is Katlin, I'm 16 years old, and I have a 52*( * = degree) curve from T11 to L3. I was diagnosed 2 years ago in the spring of my 8th grade year. I am now in the 10th grade and it was been a rough 2 years for me.

Over the years I've been growing. A year ago my curve was 40* and when I grew it went down to 36*. The doctor I was seeing was till using the x-ray slips and measured by hand (clearly technology didn't catch up to them quickly). But when I stopped growing the curve progressed.

After a year wasted there they referred me to CHKD. The staff at my surgeon's office is very polite and super friendly! I am scheduled to see my surgeon for the last time before this surgery at his office. I guess its for a check up of something like that?

My surgery is scheduled for Febuary 9th and I am scared about the whole thing. :( Of course everyone gets scared when it come to surgery.

Please reply! What should i know pain wise? I will update after my appointment :D

-KateScoliKid

Syd
01-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Hey im Syd and I am 13 well about your age hehe dont be scared there are tons of people that are going through the same thing including me :) Oh and hey you are just like for the pain thing I have a thread called cant stand the pain anymore but okay what do you do for the pain right now and is that helping but hey my tip that you should get a heating pad for 45 min or a cold ice pad Oh hey what surgery are you getting ?p.s Im scared to ! and also wishing you luck and the best of wishes
Hey and tell me how your appontment goes too I bet its going to go great ! and if you have and questions leave me a message on my page if you want :) and remember your not alone :)

KateScoliKid
01-20-2010, 05:24 PM
well for right now i am doing exercises my physical therapist told me to do. and not like a sheering pain, it like a bothering one. Like in school sitting down and cant get comfortable type thing :\ kinda annoying :(

I am wishing the best of luck for you as well! hopefully when summer comes we will get to swim and make silly excuses for our scars! :D

OH! and i'm having a spinal fusion. what are you having?

Syd
01-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Same thing as you and I am having that in march just a month or two after you and the swimming thing is what I am doing after I heal you count on that and these are some things on my list to do after the surgery I would like to get back to like making funny faces at people in the car hehe and going to the mall with my friends and the beach too :) hey what is your degrees they are fixing your spine to?

KateScoliKid
01-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Im not quite sure. I'll write that question down and make sure i'll ask him! :D

Syd
01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
o you sont have to if you dont want to :) O have done those painful xrays where they check if you have movement in your curve? if you have doesnt hurt! it was so painful for me because Im like a stwig lol hahah just kiding:)

KateScoliKid
01-22-2010, 03:08 PM
yeah i have but it wasnt painful for me. I hardly have a curve in the T part of my spine (thoracic?) so when i bend to the left and right it straightens out. It really sad though because i can bend alot more to my right then my left. You cant even see the left side of my hip bone xD i have a curvy side and a flat side :(