My Hair is Falling Out !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Hair is Falling Out !!

I had my surgery on January 4 and everything is going even better than I thought it would. I've been walking around. I have a lot of energy. There is not much pain and I've been slowly decreasing my pain medication. The only problem that I have is that my hair is falling out !!! My family says that I am nuts, but I notice it. I can run my fingers through my hair and get about 5-6 strands of hair. It's really scaring me !!! I did a google search and apparently this is common, but can last up to four months. Did anyone else have experience with this? and did it grow back? and how long until it began to grow back?

Thanks for all your responses. I've been panicking, so any feedback will help. lol
    http://mixasu.blogspot.com/

Originally posted by mixasu View Post
    I had my surgery on January 4 and everything is going even better than I thought it would. I've been walking around. I have a lot of energy. There is not much pain and I've been slowly decreasing my pain medication. The only problem that I have is that my hair is falling out !!! My family says that I am nuts, but I notice it. I can run my fingers through my hair and get about 5-6 strands of hair. It's really scaring me !!! I did a google search and apparently this is common, but can last up to four months. Did anyone else have experience with this? and did it grow back? and how long until it began to grow back?

Thanks for all your responses. I've been panicking, so any feedback will help. lol
    This happened to many of us. It was months before mine slowed so that I wasn't freaking that I'd be bald. It's the anesthesia that causes it I think. Do a thread search for 'hair loss' and I bet you'll find a bunch. We've talked about this many times. Don't worry, you'll be ok.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...highlight=hair

Edited to add a link.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi--I know where you are coming from but that seems pretty early. Mine started at about 3 months and lasted about 3-4 months. I took Biotin 5000 mcg. I started with just a small amount and went up to 4 a day. It really did seem to work. Perhaps it would have stopped anyway but it was very noticeable to me and my hairdresser. It's almost normal now. I take one or 2 a day now. If figured it couldn't hurt! You'll find some past threads on this topic. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi you guys, glad to hear that both of you stopped shedding, I did also. I took the supplement biotin also, whether this is what helped or not, just glad my hair stopped falling out. Janet, I am also still taking the biotin, can't hurt!

So, Mixasu don't panic your hair should be fine in a couple of months, it's great to hear that you are doing so well so soon also.
        Dolores A
        June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
        June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
        Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
        NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

3-4 months it falls out for ?! I'm really going to be bald !! Hopefully mine does not last that long Has anyone's fallen out to the point that it was noticeable? Mine isn't noticeable yet, but I see the globs that come out in the shower and when I brush it out.

Thanks!!
          Jaclyn

Comment

Hi all. Does EVERYBODY experience this? How common is it? Mixasu, I'm so glad to hear that it isn't permanent! I'm sure that the good results from the surgery make it worth it. Best wishes, Joy

Comment

Well, I haven't had surgery yet and my hair is already falling out due to hormones - I'm in trouble!
              Pre-op thorasic curve of 50 degrees reduced to 18 degrees!! 8 years later Hardware removed...

Comment

Hey Asha
                i am on bioidentical hormone replacement, ala Suzanne Somers...my hair falls out only when my hormones are out of balance...i havent had the back surgery...yet...

i am much older than you, but started menopause early, at around age 45....that is considered an early start....

...you can find very few hormone doctors who know what they are doing...i travel to CA for mine, & also have phone consults...very expensive...but she is worth it! you may not be interested, or it may be way too early for you, i dont know what you are interested in...for me it was a life saver!!

jess

Comment

Normal!

I just got my "hospital haircut" last week. My surgery is on January 29th. I've gone to my stylist for 13 years. He talked to me at length and warned me that my hair WILL fall out--lots of it. But, in a few months it will start growing in again. Very normal. I never knew about the biotin--I'll have to look into that--thanks!

Easy for me to say--in a few weeks I'll remember your post and my reply and try to calm myself down as clumps come out in the shower, in the hairbrush and on my pillow!

Jennifer

Comment

aahh, I forgot about the hair loss! I have a big birth mark on my head and will look like bloody mikhail gorbachev! lol.

oh well, it will come back

Try not to worry too much mixasu, remember it is only temporary. Maybe you should shave your head, i think i might. It is a cool kinda look. Easy to maintain too after surgery.
                    45L/40T
                    Surgery 25/1/2010
                    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Like others my hair fell out as well, it looked like a lot but it probably wasn't. The nurses in hospital told me that it would probably happen, due to the fact any surgery puts the body under stress. I also had an itchy dry scalp and very dry skin. This apparently happens because of the concoction of meds etc they give you and of course the hospital air conditioning. It was about four weeks before i noticed an improvement. Stay calm and take a hair, skin and nail supplement and see if this helps. Best wishes.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

I might just shave my head!! By the time I'm allowed out, it will grow back, or atleast it feels like that hahaha

It makes me feel much better to know that the hair loss isn't permanent. Since I haven't been able to do much, I've been focusing on these things which makes me stress out more.

Did anyone's stomach get swollen after surgery? My tummy was always flat and now it's a little bit wider!! Between that and my hair falling out, I'm not a happy camper right now.

Thanks for all the insight,
                        Jaclyn xo

Comment

Awww! Hi there! I totally understand what you mean! I'm now 19 and had surgery in September of 2009. My hair did thin a little and my doc said that it will happen. Its because a major stress had occured to your body and your body will focus energy toward healing rather than appearance. Preganant ladies sometimes lose hair and a baby is a big stress on a body too. I also couldn't take my vitamins for a month because my doc said it would interfere with healing :{ I remember being kind of sad one night because my hair was falling out in the shower and when I brushed it. But it stopped after the first month of surgery for me. I can recommend that vitamin E is really good for hair growth along with a protein called Biotin that I take everyday. Eat lots of protein because hair and nails are made of protein. Also I used Johnson and Johnsons baby shampoo because its really gentle :} I hope it gets better for you!!!!! :} :}
                          Maliha

Comment

PS Just read your comment above. Yes I was swollen after surgery but thats also from all the chemicals/liquids that they put in you. I remember wondering where my little tumtum went but it does go down. You just had surgery now its time to heal and it gets better every week. Dont stress :}
                            Maliha

Comment

Working...
                            X