Why choose surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why choose surgery?

At the current time I have a 65 degree scoliosis of the lower spine. There is discomfort and a little pain unless I pull muscles in my back which occurs 2-3 times a year. It is not daily but it happens now and then.

After reading about the post operative pain and the amount of time to recoperate, I find myself wondering if I shouldn't wait for a while. I think that I now notice the discomfort more since I know I have this problem.

What caused you to decide the time was right to go through this type of surgery? Was it the pain of day to day life? Was it other effects caused by the scoliosis? Something else?

I'm still trying to get this figured out.

Thanks for your guicance!

Hi neilswee...

In my case, it was definitely the pain and loss of function. Having gone through it, I would personally recommend that you wait until you're certain it's the right thing.

I can only guess how difficult it is to decide whether to have surgery when the symptoms aren't very severe. Good luck with your decision!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i avoided surgery for years and was content to have long spells of pain followed by long spells of "normalish" life. finally this spring--after 2 years of unremitting pain and loss of function--i realized that it was time to have the surgery. finding a surgeon i like and trust was the final push i needed. once i decided i didn't look back for a second. i'm nearly 3 weeks post-op and i feel better than i did on my pre-op bad days. the difference now is that i know i will be better soon! wait until your instinct says it's time...
      Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
      T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
      Fused T3 - S1
      Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
      Dr. Robert G. Viere
      North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Comment

hey...

just wanted to leave a note saying that if you continue to wait to have the surgery (like I did) your curve will just get worse which in the end will make the surgery harder for you. I was told I needed the surgery after wearing a brace for 7 years, at 45 degrees. I refused because I had no pain so I thought I didnt need it, until my curve continued to get worse until it was around 80 degrees, and I had TONS of pain. so I had the surgery, I still have pain but I am definitley PRO surgery and think waiting it out is not such a great idea. In my personal experience. I hope this helps!

lisanicole
        lisanicolegrace
        29/F/Canada
        Surgery - 11/10/2000
        80° curve to 19° post op.
        www.lisanicolegrace.com
        @lisanicolegrace
        facebook
        x-rays
        picture of my back

Comment

Hi!

I have surgery scheduled for Nov. 5 (upped it from the 12th to avoid any more anxiety!). This year became more pain than not. And my balance is way off. I was afraid of falling and breaking some bones.

My surgeron said to me he is not operating because of the scoliosis. He is operating because of the stenosis. Some of my vertebrae are almost closed off around the nerves. So even though I am not in extreme pain all the time, this convinced me to go ahead. Also I am tired after 20 years of pain. Plus finding a highly recommended surgeon made the difference.

Good luck
          24/35/57 deg
          posterior surgery
          scheduled 11/5/04

Judy

Comment

why I choose

hey
            Have to large curves first of all which makes this a little different. but the curve is only going to increase and cause even more pain. for me what I decied was that it was worth going through a little bit more pain which i am not lookiong foward to. than be like this mya whole life with the curve or cuves getting worst. and the pain getting extremely bad.

hope this helps
            Alexandra Jones

Comment

Working...
            X