View Full Version : US - List of Surgeons who are Scoliosis Specialists

10-03-2004, 07:29 PM
Here's another great source for when you're just starting to research doctors.



10-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Looking at the long list of specialists, I noticed a few that said yes to minimally invasive procedure and that really caught my attention. I was very attracted to the idea of less invasive surgery. Is it is a good idea to seek these surgeons' opinion/help first? What do you think?


10-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi Letty,

I would never pick a doctor based on whether or not they advertise offering minimally invasive procedures. This surgery takes the utmost skill. I know some doctors who were practicing minimally invasive techniques, and have stopped because they felt they were achieving less than ideal results. I would pick a doc based on their national reputation, and the number of procedures they perform a year for scolisis, and specifically, how much experience they have in your particular situation. It sounds like you're an adult, but do you need a revision, or is this your first surgery?

In any case, I can tell you the two on the list I found who are nationally recognized according to Castle Connelly (keep in mind, this source has a decidedly East Coast bias) were David Bradford at UCFS and Vernon Tolo at Children's Hospital L.A. I have personal experience with Gary K Steinberg at Stamford (he's a neurosurgeon who operated on my sister for an AVM). He has an international reputation. People from Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins have gone to observe and study his technique. I just sent him an e-mail to see who he recommends on the west coast as far as orthopedic surgeons. I will let you know what he says.

Everybody here (Me, my daughter and husband) send hugs and kisses and support. This is such a scary thing and we will do whatever we can to help and support you!

10-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Thank you so much. Deciding to have surgery is hard enough and then of course we want the best doctor to do it for us. We need all the support we could get.


10-10-2004, 05:37 PM

I promised I'd get you a name from my sister's doc at Stanford. He gave me Dr. Larry Rinsky, also at Stanford. Said he was one of the best in the world. I don't know if he does adults or revision, but certainly worth a phone call. If not him, maybe he can recommend a colleague.


Good luck!


10-22-2006, 06:27 AM
You can find scoliosis specialists here:


You can search by name, city, state, postal (zip) code, or country.