final pre-op visit today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• final pre-op visit today!

Well, I haven't posted in a while, but I do faithfully read what people have posted. As my surgery date appoaches, I am on here more and more! This site has been a wealth of knowledge and support!

Today I met with both of the surgeons who will be performing my surgery. The plan is to fuse me from T2 or T4 down to the pelvis. I know it's a complex surgery and a really long fusion, but I actually feel pretty positive and optimistic. Plans are set and I feel completely confident with the doctors that I have chosen. I am fortunate to have a lot of support from my family and friends in addition to a great fiance who will help me get through this! My mom will be staying with me for a month to help me get settled and back on my feet. I hope she knows how much I appreciate it because it's a lot to ask of her! Now all I have left to do is stay positive and take care of myself for the next week! I'm sure I'll have a few more moments of nervousness, but I am just anxious to get it over with. I am motivated to do whatever the doctors say so that I am feeling well for my August wedding! It is definitely the motivation that I need!

For all those who have surgery scheduled soon- my best wishes for a speedy recovery!! For all those who have posted post-operatively... thanks for providing the wonderful knowledge and support. It's so nice to have people that have similar experiences and understand what you are going through.

I am also T2 to pelvis--you should do very well since I presume you are a lot younger. You have a great attitude and it sounds like an August wedding is the perfect motivation. I bet you've kept yourself distracted going through all those wedding to-do lists. Best of luck to you. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Good luck!

It is wonderful to have your mom with you after this surgery to take care of you. I had it and loved every minute of it. Good luck with your recovery, I know you'll do just fine!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Best of luck to you with your upcoming surgery and plans in August. A wedding is certainly a wonderful goal to have in front of you when you get to the healing side.

Dee
        Dee - Mother of two daughters, both with scoliosis KateScoliKid (16yo) 52* Lumbar curve
        Fusion Surgery 2/9/10 T-11->L-3 @CHKD Norfolk VA
        Jes (20yo) T 3 -> L 3 w/ Kyphosis

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
          I am also T2 to pelvis--you should do very well since I presume you are a lot younger. You have a great attitude and it sounds like an August wedding is the perfect motivation. I bet you've kept yourself distracted going through all those wedding to-do lists. Best of luck to you. Janet

Thanks Janet-I sent you a private message with a couple of questions. Yes, the wedding plans have kept my mind pretty busy!

Jen

Comment

When is your date? Mine is Feb. 2 so we must be pretty close. I am also having a long fusion T-4 to pelvis. My pre-op app't. is this Friday and hopefully we'll be good to go. It's wonderful that you're doing this at the age you are and will not be dealing with pain as you get older. Best wishes and think how beautiful you'll look for your wedding!

Anne in PA
            Age 58
            Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
            T4 to sacrum fusion
            63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
            Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
            Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Wow Im finding that it is more common that I thought to have a fusion from T2/ T4 to the pelvis. I was told Id need T3 to pelvis.

jlg627: what do you do for a living? Im also guessing that youre fairly young, since you are planning a wedding. Are you concerned that by having a long fusion that you wont be able to do as much? Are/ did you have any second thoughts about having the surgery? Did your surgeon want you to try to hold off on the surgery because it is so drastic?

I apologize for all the questions...just all of a sudden I have a million of them.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
              Pre-surgery- 80°+ thoracic/ 60°+ lumbar
              Still unsure of post-op numbers
              37 yrs. old, 6'7" ish
              Scoli pics

Comment

Originally posted by ADMoul View Post
                When is your date? Mine is Feb. 2 so we must be pretty close. I am also having a long fusion T-4 to pelvis. My pre-op app't. is this Friday and hopefully we'll be good to go. It's wonderful that you're doing this at the age you are and will not be dealing with pain as you get older. Best wishes and think how beautiful you'll look for your wedding!

My surgery is scheduled for the 26th. Ready or not, here it comes!!! My one doctor told me that doing it younger does make recovery easier. I already have my wedding dress and look forward to trying it on again... a little straighter and taller! I'm only 4'9", so an inch or so would be really nice!

Good luck on your surgery on the 2nd!

Comment

Originally posted by osumike View Post
                  Wow Im finding that it is more common that I thought to have a fusion from T2/ T4 to the pelvis. I was told Id need T3 to pelvis.

jlg627: what do you do for a living? Im also guessing that youre fairly young, since you are planning a wedding. Are you concerned that by having a long fusion that you wont be able to do as much? Are/ did you have any second thoughts about having the surgery? Did your surgeon want you to try to hold off on the surgery because it is so drastic?

I apologize for all the questions...just all of a sudden I have a million of them.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I am 32 years old and a teacher. Fusing to the pelvis was the plan from the beginning because I have some issues with the discs in L4/L5 and L5/S1. Fusing me down to the pelvis will help with the pain that I experience. It will be an adjustment (not being able to bend my back at all), but the doctors feel that it's the best way. I've been nervous, but have not really had second thoughts about the surgery. My surgeons are ready to go and did not try and hold off at all. They did explain the risks, but feel that it is in my best interest to do it now at this point and not wait.

Don't hesistate to ask any questions... knowledge is power!

Comment

A fusion and a wedding. wow!

You are sure going to have a life changing year ahead.

Most people seem to be coming out of this surgery better off and I am sure that will continue with us 2010'ers.
                    45L/40T
                    Surgery 25/1/2010
                    Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Best wishes of a safe and successful surgery. I also had issues at L4/5 - L5/S1. To wake up after surgery, with no pain in that area and down the legs was bliss. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I feel that you will have a smooth recovery, due to the fact that you feel positive and optimistic. All the best.
                      Vali
                      44 years young! now 45
                      Surgery - June 1st, 2009
                      Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
                      St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
                      Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
                      Post -op - 5 degrees
                      T11 - S1 Posterior
                      L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Comment

Congradualations on the upcoming wedding and also to safe and very successful surgery

Melissa

Comment

Congratulations from me as well, it is so nice to have that to look forward to.

Half the hard battle is a great beginning attitude, and it is obvious you have that. We all get scared and nervous when we are about to face the unknown, getting married is scary, just kidding.

Keep your faith that you are not alone in many ways,
                          Shari

Comment

Working...
                          X