rehab after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rehab after surgery

I am having a difficult time understanding rehabs.

All the ones that I have found need you to be able to do 3 hours a day of PT.

After surgery, I am not going to be able to do that.

I really did not want to go home directly from the hospital however.

So what kind of place am I looking for?

Thanks

I don't think you need to worry about it. This is something your doctor will perscribe for you. I was told if I needed to do this I would be told so by the doctor. Three hours of p.t.--no way. You will doing the mildest of things--walking, learning to do stairs, and some very simple exercises. I guess there are some who found their own rehab places but be sure to check with your doctor first. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Yes, your surgeon will help you determine whether or not you need rehab depending on how you are doing right after surgery. My surgery was two hours away from home, so I chose a rehab 15 minutes away from my house so that my family could visit me. I was taken to the rehab by ambulance (not a bad ride at all!).

Jennifer's right, the rehab will be very gentle and focus on walking, managing small flights of stairs, and getting in and out of a car. I loved being in rehab and didn't want to go home because they took such good care of me.

I made sure the surgeon and his staff knew BEFORE my surgery which rehab I had picked, and then he made the determination that I did indeed need to go there before I went home. It's really important to pick a rehab with an excellent reputation.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

By the way, it's very difficult to get insurance companies to pay for rehab. Living alone is not considered a factor when deciding whether someone needs to go to rehab.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Melissa,I think rehab and PT are two different things.I started PT last week.My family Dr. gave me a prescription for 8 weeks,3 days a week for 1hr.each day.My Ins.covers 60 visits a year.I am still in my brace.PT just has me do light exercises no bending or twisting.
          Aug.17,09 Anterior
          Aug.20,09 Posterior
          Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
          Cedars-Sinai
          Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
          Husband married 30 years
          3 kids 29,28,25
          4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

My surgeon told me no bending or PT, until i'm fully fused. I had PT in the hospital, but it was logging rolling 101 and walking up and down stairs. They advised me that I will attend PT, but in six months. Why would they send some and not others.

rich

Comment

Melissa,
              I don't mean to confuse you but there are different types of rehab. You may be looking at what they call 'acute rehab', which is more intense than 'subacute rehab'. Your physician , your physical therapist, and also your insurance company will determine whether you will need rehab. You will not need "acute rehab" at this stage. Alot of time you go home, and then start PT 3-4 months after surgery.
              May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
              X