Is there a detailed list of specific exercises done by M. Hawes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a detailed list of specific exercises done by M. Hawes

Hi. Is there a detailed list of specific exercises done by Martha Hawes? I've been looking for a few days and have not been able to find it. Thanks!

Not that I am aware of. And I don't think we will see one any time too soon. Reason being that she may not feel that it is appropriate to advise others when we each have such unique exercise needs.

It does appear that her first major improvements in curvature reductions came about three months following a new exercise program which focused on chest wall expansion. She began focusing on exercises for that because she wanted to improve her respiratory function - she continues such exercises and her curvatures continue to reduce.

While she has chosen a multi-method approach to her back care, the focus on respiratory improvement is daily (age 40 to present). For certain she has remained both active and committed to assessing her needs - and going from there.

I would like to know what specific exercises would improve chest wall expansion. I would like to be able breath a bit better.

Maybe some of our PT members here can advise on that .. or anyone else with experience in that area.

Last edited by mamamax; 01-17-2010, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Mamamax you are so helpful! I've been searching online for chest wall expansion exercises as I can't get in to see my doctor for about a month. The search hasn't turned up much for me. I hope others on the board can help with this information too. Thanks Mamamax for all your responses!!

Comment

Here's something I found:

"Researchers at Khon Kaen University in Thailand compared the effect of yoga on chest wall expansion and lung volumes in young healthy adults. At the start of the study, the researchers took lung expansion and lung volume measures for each of the 58 participants. Each participant's upper chest (sternum), middle chest (rib 5) and lower chest (rib 8) areas were measured with a tape measure to determine lung expansion capacity. Lung volumes were measured with a spirometer.

The participants were than randomly placed in one of two groups - a yoga group or a control group. The members of the yoga group participated in three 20 minute yoga sessions per week, for six weeks. Five positions of Hatha Yoga with effects on chest wall function were used during each session. The members of the control group did not do the Yoga exercises.

At the end of the study period, the researchers took additional lung expansion and lung volume measurements. When these measurements were compared to the initial measurements, the researchers found that chest wall expansion was significantly increased among those in the yoga group. Lung volumes were also increased in those in the Yoga group, with the exception of tidal volume. Tidal volume (the amount of air that passes in and out of the lungs in a normal breath) was not affected by yoga. Members of the control group did not show any change in any of the areas.

These results are significant because they suggest that short-term yoga exercise improves respiratory breathing capacity by increasing chest wall expansion and forced expiratory lung volumes. Since chest wall expansion provides more oxygen with each breath and requires less effort to breath, this discovery may benefit people with asthma or other respiratory diseases.

Details of the study were presented on Apr. 4, 2006 at Experimental Biology 2006, a meeting of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). An abstract of the presentation is available online at the FASEB Web site."

Comment

Good article you found!

Looks like we have a job ahead of us Renee :-)

I'm searching too - and not finding a lot. Terminology may be a barrier to finding what we're looking for. For example, home mobilization exercise is a phrase that comes up in Martha's writing. What are mobilization exercises? I really don't know. I did find a website created by a retired massage therapist in Canada that may explain the concept.

The website: http://saveyourself.ca/articles/mobilizing.php
          Credentials: http://saveyourself.ca/misc/about-credentials.php

Interesting (well maybe a lot more than interesting) what Martha Hawes has done. Reminds me of Katrina Schroth. Wonder if we will see a Hawes clinic one day?
          Last edited by mamamax; 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Chest Wall - Mobilization Exercise

I am finding some chest exercises in the above website. A very simple one attached here.

I am not recommending this for anyone. Just sharing as I go about trying to discover - what are exercises that improve chest wall expansion?

I think it is important to remember something about exercise - and the author of this website does put an important emphasis on listening to your own body. Specifically: Do not go past a point that causes discomfort. It has been called the Goldilocks principle :-) In other words, find your "edge" or the point where an exercise is causing a very mild discomfort (this doesn't take long for an old lady like me who has led a very sedentary life style); then retreat (stop).

The power of mobilization exercises apparently in found in repetition - the author of the above web page recommends 25-75 reps 3x per day. Of course, if one can only do 10 (or even less) before feeling that "edge" - then it's time to stop.

Some troubleshooting additional pointers from said author - which I'm sure most of us would agree are MOST appropriate: Basically, any exercise that feels like a bad thing in any way - or just pointless - wisdom should dictate: listen to your instincts and stop.

I'm gathering exercises as I find them and will review them with my orthopedic surgeon before experimenting on myself towards developing my own set of "home mobilization exercises" ... and think that is maybe wise advise for anyone else in their search for such things :-)

Comment

Thanks, mamamax - those exercises look interesting and worth looking into. I found in the Back Care Basics book, ch. 10 on Scoliosis, some breathing exercises such as "crisscross" breathing (into the front ribs on the side where the back ribs protrude and into the back ribs on the side where the front ribs protrude). Once I figured out how to do this, it did feel like it was helping somewhat.
              34L at diagnosis; Boston Brace 1979
              Current: 50L, 28T

Comment

Breathing exercises are certainly something worth looking into (in my opinion). They can be a bit tricky till one gets the feel of it. I've been given some brief instruction in a few Schroth exercises (focusing on breathing), and they have been beneficial to me.

Thanks much for the book referral! Looks good - just put it on my list to order:
                Back Care Basics

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Care-Basi...3862040&sr=8-1

Comment

I hope you like the book. I got mine on half.com for cheap if you don't mind used. I wrote to the Schroth clinic but have not heard back. The Schroth book is expensive. So, I'm not sure where I'm going with that at the moment. How did you obtain your training in it, I wonder? Oh by the way I have that Structural Yoga book as well, which was recommended on the scoliosis link I posted earlier, also: http://www.ctds.info/scoliosis_exercises_two.html. I will try to find out how this book helps or not.
                  Last edited by dailystrength; 01-18-2010, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I love how we all help each other out. It's comforting to me to know that there are so many of us trying to find a way to feel better. Thank you. It really helps, especially when I get really down in the dumps about this crap called Scoliosis.

Comment

Originally posted by dailystrength View Post
                      I hope you like the book. I got mine on half.com for cheap if you don't mind used. I wrote to the Schroth clinic but have not heard back. The Schroth book is expensive. So, I'm not sure where I'm going with that at the moment. How did you obtain your training in it, I wonder? Oh by the way I have that Structural Yoga book as well, which was recommended on the scoliosis link I posted earlier, also: http://www.ctds.info/scoliosis_exercises_two.html. I will try to find out how this book helps or not.
                      I'm looking forward to the read :-) No, I don't mind used so long as it is the most current version of what I'm looking for. I've gotten a little less fussy as my library grows. My brace provider is Schroth certified - so that's where I received instruction.

I have that Yoga book and the Dvds by Elise Browning Miller (Yoga for Scoliosis). I'm a big admirer of her bty. The website you referenced is a great one for information and has led me to research/ponder many things.

If you're looking for a Schroth certified practitioner, you may want to drop a line here: http://www.schrothmethod.com/contact and someone may be able to give you a referral in your area. The Schroth book is expensive - and while it did not turn out to be something I could immediately use in terms of exercise for myself, the information in it is something I consider a valuable part of my library. Your PT would probably understand it better than you or me, in terms of practical usage ;-)

Another expensive but most valuable book is the one written by Martha Hawes - Scoliosis and the Human Spine. It's available at the NSF bookstore. I would call before ordering since I believe there is a 2010 update about to come out. It really is a must have for anyone pursuing conservative methods (in my opinion).

Over the next year, I plan to focus on what I know and may learn regarding Schroth - while investigating home mobilization exercises (with focus on chest wall expansion). As time goes my I may find myself more engaged with Pilaties or Yoga - preferably private instruction from someone with experience working with scolio-girls :-) For certain, after retirement - a trip to Wisconsin or Germany. My long term goal: well, other than remaining upright and mobile ... I'd like to be able to run with my daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by reneemarie View Post
                        I love how we all help each other out. It's comforting to me to know that there are so many of us trying to find a way to feel better. Thank you. It really helps, especially when I get really down in the dumps about this crap called Scoliosis.
                        I agree :-) And it helps a great deal, to remain focused and committed, with buddies along the way. Thank you & ((hugs))

Comment

Hi there, Mamamax-- great goals! I am planning some Spring weekends and a summer 2 week drive to see friends and family.

Thanks for that NSF book resource. Also, I have located a Schroth clinic within a couple hours driving, and the therapist has sent me the right paperwork to send my insurance company. Then again if I don't get accepted now, we're changing insurance probably in July so may have a second chance.

I also have Elise's DVD and need to do it. My problem is finding time. Argh! I need to prioritize! Thanks for the reminder that I have that.

I (probably stupidly) ordered a core machine off the TV in the middle of the night Wed, silly me. But hey, worth a try I think. Free trial anyway.

Comment

Working...
                          X