Alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alone

Hi. I live alone and was wondering how long I will have to have someone stay with me when I return home. Can anybody shed some light on this? I don't want to burden anyone (or whomever stays) but I also know I will most likely need someone stay with me for a little while. It sucks facing this alone.

Thanks.
    Laura
    Laura
    62 degrees
    49 yrs. young
    Surgery 3/31/10 with Lenke

Before and After pics
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/13749126@N06/

Hi Laura...

I've known quite a few people who have come home from surgery and taken care of themselves. That's a little scary to me, but it's definitely possible. You don't really need to have someone stay with you full time. They won't send you home from the hospital until you can get yourself in and out of bed, walk, and climb stairs. Since you won't be able to drive, you'll need someone to run (or help you run) all of your errands. You also won't be able to do laundry, clean, or make real meals for yourself. Ultimately, it would be great to have at least part-time help for about 4 weeks.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I know people can do it alone. Is rehab after hospitalization a possibility? That would take you through the most difficult part. Also once you get home many of us had pt, occupational therapist, and nurses who stopped most days to check on recovery and help us. That was very helpful. I was lucky that my husband was home to help me at all times--basically worked from home. Make sure someone can help you initially with medication. I was way too foggy for a long time to be able to deal with what I took when.

Melissa--Glad you're feeling better about this whole surgery thing! I think when we realize there really is no choice we want to just get it done! Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Alone

Hi Laura,
        Be sure to make your MD aware that you live alone. If you have good insurance, you could ask the MD to keep you in the hospital as long as possible. After that, he can send you to a skilled nursing facility for one or
        two weeks, again hopefully you have good insurance. You can make a lot of arrangements before you have surgery: t.v. dinners, shower chair, grabber, arrange for a friend to get your groceries, sleep with your cell phone at your bedside so you can contact someone if you have a problem, WRITE DOWN the times you take your pain meds so that you don't forget you've already taken one, & have someone that checks on you daily by phone or in person.
        I live alone too but I was fortunate enough to have my 85 year old Mom come
        to help me. I really think I only needed help for 1-2 weeks AND I could have
        managed, it just made it nicer for me. I was in the hospital for 9 days & then in a skilled nursing for 1 week. If you go the skilled nursing home route, be sure & check it out first. I considered that my "week in hell". Check on number of people to a room, number of people using the same bathroom, dietary choices, & how often they will shower you!!! Hope this helps.
        HappyDeanna

Comment

Originally posted by Radiogirl View Post
          Hi. I live alone and was wondering how long I will have to have someone stay with me when I return home. Can anybody shed some light on this? I don't want to burden anyone (or whomever stays) but I also know I will most likely need someone stay with me for a little while. It sucks facing this alone.

Thanks.
          Laura
          Solo recovery IS possible: I did it from the day a friend dropped me off after I was released from the hospital on Day 6 post-op.

It requires a lot of preparation, but don't rule it out - unless you just don't think it's the route you want to take.

Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
          X